New Member Introductions thread
May 28, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #13,621 of 15,608
Hi new here Just got my first IEMs a week ago Kato Matte Steel, and loving them. I'm thinking of a Planar for my next pair. I was suggested to join as Moondrop are planning their 1st Planar this fall. From information posted here on site

May 29, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #13,625 of 15,608
Long time lurker, just made an account the other day. Owned around 50 different headphones throughout the hobby, but currently own around 20. Pretty basic as far as my tastes go, usually I like anything Sennheiser or Audeze, but always looking for new cans and new sounds. Slowly creeping up to endgame, but the higher i climb, the taller the summit reaches. As is the tragic life of the headphone enthusiast.

May 30, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #13,626 of 15,608
Hello, am new here. I've been following the headphones subreddit for awhile now. I've been meaning to participate in this community for awhile now. I've already taken the plunge into some expensive gear (IER-M9, Hifiman Ananda), but I don't think I've found my endgame for headphones yet.

May 30, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #13,627 of 15,608
Hello, am new here. I've been following the headphones subreddit for awhile now. I've been meaning to participate in this community for awhile now. I've already taken the plunge into some expensive gear (IER-M9, Hifiman Ananda), but I don't think I've found my endgame for headphones yet.
Spoiler alert, you might find your endgame headphones, but then you'll just keep buying all the new headphones and accessories because you will think that you're missing out on something because everyone is saying it's great. 🙂

May 31, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #13,629 of 15,608
I was very active in the forum many years ago, until ca. 2009-2010. I can't remember my user name... I then decided I was happy with my gear, didn't have the inclination to explore other options and that I should just focus on the music. That's kept me busy for 12-13 years.

My equipment then:
TEAC PDH300MKIII CD Player (transport) --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> M-Stage amp (no USB; HPA-1?) --> Grado SR125

The electronics still run perfectly and I replaced the SR125 with SR225e about 5 years ago. It's a terrific setup with (as with any gear) good quality recordings. I listen primarily to renaissance or baroque music on CD, WQXR and WFMU radio live streams and DRM-free downloads through the V-DAC. I'm also an 80s hardcore punk enthusiast and like the Grateful Dead. I have significant hearing damage (tinnitus, hyperacusis and loss - not a great combination) and I can listen for extended periods at comfortable volumes with this gear. I substitute Etymotic ER3SE IEMs when I need to run the window air conditioner in my music room. Not my favorite arrangement, but I make do.

I'm also a free software enthusiast/advocate (fsf.org) and run Trisquel 10 on librebooted Lenovo T400 computers. Free as in freedom!

Here's my issue. I enjoy listening to FM radio online, but running some live streams requires that my web browser run non-free scripts with is an ethical issue. So...

My first component purchase in at least 5 years arrives today: a new Pro-ject Tuner Box S2 FM tuner. I'm very excited.

Since placing my order, I'm now (of course) looking at some other new equipment, but will likely stick with what I have for now.

I would be interested in a high quality DAC - headphone amp with at least one set of analog inputs, but don't see much out there. I also have my eye on a pair of SR325x.

Sorry about my wallet!

Cheers, T400

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #13,630 of 15,608
I would be interested in a high quality DAC - headphone amp with at least one set of analog inputs, but don't see much out there. I also have my eye on a pair of SR325x.

Sorry about my wallet!

Cheers, T400
I would look into ifi-audio.com for your DAC, I'm sure you'll find something to fit your requirements.

May 31, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #13,632 of 15,608
Hi all, been reading head-fi and other sites for a bit, as I’ve slowly found myself paying more attention to rebuilding a decent sounding home setup, after a long period of neglect. It began when I got a NAS for Christmas (yeah, nerd here) and looked into ripping our 1000+ CD collection so we could stream it. What a cascading set of dominoes that turned out to be! Don’t have any headphones yet, but this place is a wealth of info regardless, so joined up after trying to ‘like’ too many great posts unsuccessfully, oops.

The posts from Mike Moffat describing development of the Yggdrasil DAC were terrific, BTW. Thanks for a smart, jovial, and well-managed community, the internet could use more like this.

Jun 2, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #13,635 of 15,608
I just wanted to say hi to everyone. Having been music obsessed all my life iam looking to you all for advice on good budget equipment! At one time I had a large vinyl collection and a nice mid range set up , about a year ago life got in the way and I had to sell it all and iam now looking to build up a nice cheap set up , i had some good advice on this already (sorry moderator I broke the rules , this is not my first post). In recent times I have found myself Priced out of the vinyl market so for me streaming and cds are where my interest lays and iam looking to dip my toes into the world of headphones also and hope to purchase a proper pair soon 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back