New Member Introductions thread
Nov 28, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #12,034 of 15,524
Hi,

My name is Andrew. I'm currently listening to Empire Ears Bravado through a Klipsch headphone amp/DAC. I'm gazing longingly at all of the Black Friday deals with A&K and EE.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #12,037 of 15,524
Hello good People.
Im Filipe, but you can call me Phil, im from Portugal, and i started this year on this hobby. I have a rule to this hobby, the best for less :p
Right now, living on my desk, i have a loxjie d10, a little bear b4 portable tube, a pair of hd599 and a fidelio x2hr.
Also i ordered a smsl sp100 tube amp and a raytheon 6n3 5670w from 1980
Hope to meet some people and talk about gear.
Stay safe

Nov 30, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #12,038 of 15,524
Hello, all. My name is Tim, from CC TX.

I am approaching the age of dirt, if not already there. I have been a music lover since I was around 6 y/o, when I started my 45 rpm singles collection. That makes it around 60 years or so if my math skills have not failed me. Over that time, I have owned Koss, and Sony headphones (can't remember the model #.s), and now own 2 pair including ATH-M50X, and Grado SR 325 that I have had for around five and ten years respectively. I have really become interested in headphones over the last year for two main reasons. I have a pretty solid Emotiva hi-fi system, with large floor standing custom built speakers, which I can no longer enjoy since moving to a new apartment, which brings me to the second reason. I suffer from hearing loss.....I know, right? Big surprise there. I can't play my audio system at a volume that I enjoy anymore, since the neighbors started beating on the walls. The answer was obviously utilizing my headphones, which I realized I could enjoy at lower volume levels without, at least hopefully, damaging my hearing any worse than it is already. That all said, I am about to purchase a new set of cans, along with an amp, that I hope will prove to be an upgrade over my other sets. I'm retired, so I spend a lot of time listening to music, and I am looking forward to reading and interacting with the group here, while becoming more active in this hobby.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #12,039 of 15,524
Hi all, signing up from The Netherlands.
Never considered myself an audiophile but I'm definitely picky (up to a certain level) about sound quality. It's both a blessing and a curse that all of that is very personal and subjective, but I think I'm lucky that I'm not super-sensitive or at least satisfied rather quickly with sound quality. It's more the constant lure of new and shiny gear that is hard to resist :smirk:

For years now I've been limited to mobile music listening, so most of my money goes to headphones (I have all of the Philips Fidelio headphones (except the recent X3), as their sound matches my preference very well, but I also have two Grados (SR80 and SR225), a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3s and some vintage AKG set). With the recent Black Friday deals I got myself a Dragonfly Cobalt DAC that I'm very happy with, though I'll be posting about that in a different thread to make sure I got everything right about this device.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #12,040 of 15,524
Hello all,

Firstly, I'm not an audiophile. I probably have cloth ears anyway so spending major cash is just not worth it.

Decided to join as I was enjoying some of the reviews of IEM's which I was researching with a view to purchasing my first pair. After lots of reading, I've ordered a pair of Fiio FH5 to replace my 15+ year old Denon AH-C351. Nothing particularly 'wrong' with the Denon, they work and serve me well. Now I'm working from home I wanted some thing that would block more extraneous sound leaving me free to focus on work and music.

I did recently order a pair of Jabra 75 Elite which frankly have been returned. They were my first dip into TWS and left me feeling the whole thing is overhyped. The audio quality was so-so at best and I was shocked by the amount of frequent drop outs or even complete disconnects. I loved the convenience but for me the downsides far outweighed the one benefit. I even leart that having the phone in the wrong pocket (front left) results in more issues as the signla passes diagonally through the body to the right earbud.

Hopefully a wired IEM will fair better. Frustrating all round that I cannot demo things like this anywhere locally (Lancashire, UK) so am forced to rely on reviews like those on here.

thanks
Paul

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #12,041 of 15,524
Hello everyone, my name is Bence, a new-old member here. Registered back in 2019, but I have been in read-only mode for years. Mostly here for DAPs and IEMs, these have been always my favorites. On the long run I would like to learn more about new technologies, improve my portable rig, trade some parts and make new friends.:)

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #12,043 of 15,524
Semi-lurker here, been reading stuff here on and off for 2-3 year but got more into the head-fi space about 1,5 years ago. Have been listening to headphones with some intent for the past 6-7 years, begun with Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 and later moved on to Fidelio X2 with Onyko HD-200 DAC. Then got a pair of Drop Fostex TR-X00 and a Marantz HD-DAC1. The Fostex started to sound abit "like headphones" so I moved up to Sony MDR-Z1R with a Kymber Kable and am soon to be the (hopefully) pride owner of a pair of LCD-4 with DHC Prion4 cable. Have also listened to HD820 and Utopia, but not so many more AMPs or DACs. Think I might need to look into upgrading that Marantz... Fun hobby, but very of a "rabbit hole" experience :)

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #12,044 of 15,524
Welcome to Head-Fi!

I'd say "Sorry for your wallet" but it seems you know that already.
biggrin.gif
That's right!
Hi

Dec 2, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #12,045 of 15,524
Chong here, been reading articles here for 3 years now finally got my account. Have been playing with full-size cans for more than 3 years now. First began with Xelento Remote in fall 2017 and then realized I have no equipment to properly drive them. Now I am listening to my Abyss tc powered by a homemade speaker amp connected to a Chord Hugo tt2 DAC. Kinda satisfied with my desktop setup but am looking for a transportable setup, and currently got my eyes on Chord 2go to pair with my Hugo2. Overall fun hobby but very costly😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back