New Member Introductions thread
Aug 9, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #11,716 of 15,538
Hi! I live in New York. Like others here, I’ve been a reader of these forums for quite a while, but it’s time to stop lurking and instead join the conversion.

I’ve been headed gradually down the rabbit hole the last four years. Just hit me one day that I was missing something in my music. Put the Bose and cheap Sonys on the shelf, ordered HD700s and a Schiit stack, immediately heard that something and haven’t looked back.

Here’s the inventory…

IEMs: Campfire Audio Solaris 2020, Tin HiFi T4, Ultimate Ears UE900s
Cans: Sennheiser HD 700 (Black Dragon), Beyerdynamic T5p (stock cable), AudioQuest NightOwl (Black Dragon)
DACs/Amps: Chord Mojo, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, Schiit Modi Multibit, Darkvoice 336se
Mobile: FiiO M11 Pro, Audioquest DragonFly Black, FiiO BTR5.

My analog setup consists of a Rega P3 with a Grocetracer reference subplatter, Ortofon 2M Blue and Schiit Mani phonostage. I also do my stereo listening on KEF LS50Ws.

Went to CanJam in New York this year – my first. What an incredible experience getting to hear so many TOTL headphones, amps and source gear all in one place. Grateful the event happened before the pandemic hit the U.S.

Thinking now about next steps and trying to reconcile what goes first: The cart or the horse? I’d like to add some higher end headphones – HD800s, Arya/used HE1000, used Meze Empyrean. But I’d also like a better source/amp – mostly likely Hugo 2. And an endgame tube amp is definitely part of my designs – possibly a DNA Stratus. Seems like this is a constant tug of war in this hobby; one upgrade begets another.

I listen to pretty broad range of genres. My core listening is modern indie and classic alternative. Some electronic and hip hop. Plenty of classic rock and early pop. I listen to some jazz and blues.

Look forward to getting to know everyone.

Aug 11, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #11,717 of 15,538
Hi All
new to the forum, i'm mainly old school analogue but have a Fiio X5iii for a while now thats been nothing short of a pain mainly due to pilot error with me not really being tech savvy so I will be driving you mad with all my issues with it :dt880smile:

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #11,719 of 15,538
Hi .. my name is Bob.

Now that i've retired (and seem to have a bit more time on my hands) I have decided to treat myself to some 'audio treats' that never really materialised during my working life. Dont get me wrong, I've always had something to play music on over the years but has been mostly limited to various PC/speaker combo's plus the odd couple of SONOS speakers for the family home. I decided to buy a pair of Bayerdynamic Ameron headphones last Christmas and have been using them on my PC with a Dragonfly Cobalt. Have to say that they have been a revelation but (as seems to be the case on Head-Fi) i spotted a rabbit hole and jumped in.

I have now just bought an Astell & Kern SR-25 DAP (all the reviews seemed to point me in that direction) and again .. revelation .. especially with Tidal Masters and HiFi tracks!!!!!

I have now decided to finally register for Head-Fi because this rabbit hole is definitely deeper than my initial research had led me to believe!!!!!

Problem is that I have to crank the volume up to around 95% to get an acceptable level (I am using the stock unbalanced 3.5mm cable) and am uncertain if a balanced cable (if available) would help matters or whether I should invest in a portable headphone amp .... or go for a quality pair of 'In Ear Monitors'?

Decisions decisions??

Apologies for starting my time here with a problem.

Bob

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #11,721 of 15,538
Hello. New here, I've browsed a bit here and there on this site in the past. Got into the hobby a few years ago starting off with the HD6XX and JDS EL stack. Current gear is the RME ADI-2 DAC into a RebelAmp. Headphones owned are HD800S, Audeze LCD-X, LCD-3, and I own some CA Andromeda IEM's. Looking forward to engaging more within the community.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #11,722 of 15,538
Hi .. my name is Bob.

Now that i've retired (and seem to have a bit more time on my hands) I have decided to treat myself to some 'audio treats' that never really materialised during my working life. Dont get me wrong, I've always had something to play music on over the years but has been mostly limited to various PC/speaker combo's plus the odd couple of SONOS speakers for the family home. I decided to buy a pair of Bayerdynamic Ameron headphones last Christmas and have been using them on my PC with a Dragonfly Cobalt. Have to say that they have been a revelation but (as seems to be the case on Head-Fi) i spotted a rabbit hole and jumped in.

I have now just bought an Astell & Kern SR-25 DAP (all the reviews seemed to point me in that direction) and again .. revelation .. especially with Tidal Masters and HiFi tracks!!!!!

I have now decided to finally register for Head-Fi because this rabbit hole is definitely deeper than my initial research had led me to believe!!!!!

Problem is that I have to crank the volume up to around 95% to get an acceptable level (I am using the stock unbalanced 3.5mm cable) and am uncertain if a balanced cable (if available) would help matters or whether I should invest in a portable headphone amp .... or go for a quality pair of 'In Ear Monitors'?

Decisions decisions??

Bob

Hi Bob! Congrats on your retirement and welcome to head-fi. May I suggest you post your question about a portable amp or getting IEMs as a separate thread in the Intro, Help and Recommendations forum - https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

You'll get more views and probably more advice by doing that.

This hobby is definitely a rabbit hole, and a hole in your wallet. Enjoy the gear, but don't forget to enjoy the music. :beerchug:

Aug 11, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #11,723 of 15,538
Hi .. my name is Bob.

Decisions decisions??

Bob

Hey, Bob! Just joined myself. On your question about your DAP. I just looked up the SR-25 and it appears the balanced outputs produce 4Vrms, but the single-ended outputs are limited to 2Vrms.

A balance cable probably would improve the situation a lot. But I agree about posting the question elsewhere – maybe in the SR-25 thread or the thread for the Bayerdynamic Ameron. Someone there could probably answer from experience.

Here’s where I saw the output specs: https://us.astellnkern.com/products/a-norma-sr25

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #11,729 of 15,538
Howdy, I'm new. I like headphones, and I tend to hang around in /r/headphones, /r/avexchange and occasionally Audiokarma. I have far too many pairs of headphones and I imagine in a year or three I'll look back on this post and say "Ye gods, you don't know what far too many headphones even is, scrub."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back