New Member Introductions thread
Feb 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #9,571 of 15,543
I am a longtime lurker and first time poster. I have roughly 1600 albums is my music collection. All were purchased via CD up until about 2012 which is when I got my first iPhone. This is close to when my real headphone obsession started. My first three or four headphones below were used on my iPhone. I bought just about all of my music on iTunes and Amazon for the next six years or so. About a year ago I finally decided to go back and re-rip my entire CD collection in uncompressed format to have a true backup of my CD-quality music. At the same time I was getting frustrated with iTunes and Apple (switched from iPhone to Pixel!) itself and switched over to foobar. Once I finally got the Schiit equipment along with the 6XX headphones I really began to hear what I was missing with my old equipment and 256ish kbps music files. I began buying CDs (from Amazon and Bull Moose) again as well as buying FLAC music files (from Bandcamp, Boomkat, Bleep, Onkyo Music and others).

It really has been a fun journey of trying new headphones and continuing to optimize the listening experience. I know I am still using what is considered "entry-level" equipment but I have to say its impressive what you can get at these lower price points these days. I pretty much use my 6XX and 1060s for most of my listening. I listen to a broad spectrum of music genres but electronic music is my passion. My 6XXs seem to deliver the purest listening experience. The 1060s insane sound stage really immerses you in the music. I am hoping to pick up some Argon MK3s soon to have a quality headphone for when I am craving that extra low-end punch. What a great community here to learn and research hardware and setups. I look forward to learning more and not spending TOO much more! :)

Here is my path of music equipment that started maybe 12 years ago:

Harman Kardon HK 3480 stereo receiver
Onkyo DX-C390 5 disc CD changer
Infinity Beta-50 floor speakers
Gemini PT-2000 turntable
Sony MDR-V6
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Sony MDR-1A
FiiO E10K
Audioquest Dragonfly Black v1.5
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Massdrop HD 6XX
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
Monolith M1060

What's next:

SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC
Modhouse Argon MK3
Massdrop THX AAA 789

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #9,572 of 15,543
I am a longtime lurker and first time poster. I have roughly 1600 albums is my music collection. All were purchased via CD up until about 2012 which is when I got my first iPhone. This is close to when my real headphone obsession started. My first three or four headphones below were used on my iPhone. I bought just about all of my music on iTunes and Amazon for the next six years or so. About a year ago I finally decided to go back and re-rip my entire CD collection in uncompressed format to have a true backup of my CD-quality music. At the same time I was getting frustrated with iTunes and Apple (switched from iPhone to Pixel!) itself and switched over to foobar. Once I finally got the Schiit equipment along with the 6XX headphones I really began to hear what I was missing with my old equipment and 256ish kbps music files. I began buying CDs (from Amazon and Bull Moose) again as well as buying FLAC music files (from Bandcamp, Boomkat, Bleep, Onkyo Music and others).

It really has been a fun journey of trying new headphones and continuing to optimize the listening experience. I know I am still using what is considered "entry-level" equipment but I have to say its impressive what you can get at these lower price points these days. I pretty much use my 6XX and 1060s for most of my listening. I listen to a broad spectrum of music genres but electronic music is my passion. My 6XXs seem to deliver the purest listening experience. The 1060s insane sound stage really immerses you in the music. I am hoping to pick up some Argon MK3s soon to have a quality headphone for when I am craving that extra low-end punch. What a great community here to learn and research hardware and setups. I look forward to learning more and not spending TOO much more! :)

Gemini PT-2000 turntable
Sony MDR-V6
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Sony MDR-1A
FiiO E10K
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Massdrop HD 6XX
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
Monolith M1060

What's next:

SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC
Modhouse Argon MK3
Massdrop THX AAA 789
Like yourself,I began my digital music listening in 2010 after my analog and cd collection were becoming inefficient for my listening pleasure.

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #9,573 of 15,543

Gemini PT-2000 turntable
Sony MDR-V6
V-MODA Crossfade M-100
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Sony MDR-1A
FiiO E10K
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Massdrop HD 6XX
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Modi 3
Schiit Loki
Monolith M1060

What's next:

SMSL SU-8 V2 DAC
Modhouse Argon MK3
Massdrop THX AAA 789

I have the 6XX as well, connected to a Schiit DAC / AMP, and it's great to listen while I work at my home desk.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #9,574 of 15,543
Was a member from way back in 2010. Then life happened and I didn't have nearly as much time for personal audio for a while. Also lost my old pw and old email during this time. Still lurked HF and a few other personal audio forums though.

Have been getting back into personal audio (more seriously) the last year or so though. Currently using a wide variety of cans, top 3 by usage the last 3 months would be LCD3, HD6xx, Ether 1.1. Have also listened to some different IEMs over the years and currently have 3 sets of UE CIEM - UE5 for travel/out and about, UERM if I need something "neutral", UERR that I need to get repaired (had a soft silicone shell on mine as one of the original beta testers... silicone has since lost form. UERR remains probably one of my top 2 or 3 favorite IEM/CIEMs I've ever heard).

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #9,578 of 15,543
Hi folks,

I just posted in another thread and realised it was my first actual post, despite being a lurking member since 2005!

So it's time I said Hi :)

I've been active on several other UK-centric audio forums for years and have a very long hifi history. Headphone listening has never been a principle feature in my listening habits but I've always enjoyed portable audio on the go, especially when I was city living and commuting in Tokyo some years ago. Tokyo was headphone candy land and so it was inevitable I would come away with a Stax rig and a smattering of portable headphones.

I'm settled back in the UK these days and beginning to listen to headphones at home more and more. Its a shame that I moved all my Stax on last year but my latest (revelatory!) purchase has been a Chord Hugo2 which will imminently be matched with a Massdrop Senn HD6xx and a pair of Grado SR325e. Looking forward to learning more and more.

cheers
Carl.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #9,579 of 15,543
Hi!
I guess I'm new here.
I recently purchased some Sennheiser HD 6XX's to compliment my Q701's. I feel like this is a slippery slope, wish me luck!

Interested in your thought on 6xx vs Q701's. I briefly owned K701 when they first came out and can't remember what they were like now and keep meaning to revisit some of the AKG variants.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #9,580 of 15,543
Was a member from way back in 2010. Then life happened and I didn't have nearly as much time for personal audio for a while. Also lost my old pw and old email during this time. Still lurked HF and a few other personal audio forums though.

Have been getting back into personal audio (more seriously) the last year or so though. Currently using a wide variety of cans, top 3 by usage the last 3 months would be LCD3, HD6xx, Ether 1.1. Have also listened to some different IEMs over the years and currently have 3 sets of UE CIEM - UE5 for travel/out and about, UERM if I need something "neutral", UERR that I need to get repaired (had a soft silicone shell on mine as one of the original beta testers... silicone has since lost form. UERR remains probably one of my top 2 or 3 favorite IEM/CIEMs I've ever heard).

Found my old password. This is the same person/user.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #9,581 of 15,543
Hi!
I guess I'm new here.
I recently purchased some Sennheiser HD 6XX's to compliment my Q701's. I feel like this is a slippery slope, wish me luck!

I have the HD 6XX's as well, great headphone running off a Schiit Jotunheim. And it's a very slippery slope, I also have a couple of TOTL IEMs and recently auditioned the Focal Clear.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #9,585 of 15,543
The year was 1975 when I was thrown into this world in the country of Tulips and Cheese, the Netherlands. My parents named me Remco, but Shaggy has always been my nickname.

From a young age my father infected me with music. From the Beatles, to the Cats, Elvis you name it. And of course my older brother had an ear for 80's music who infected me even more.

In this day and age I listen to a lot of 80's, some 70's and 90's. Ranging from pop and rock, to classical and instrumental. A wide taste in music.
Currently I mostly listen to vinyl at home using Pro-Ject, Denon, Sennheiser. And the rest is all FiiO X1 with Shure SE-215-535 and Sennheiser HD 600.

I listen to music 90% of the day, and like nice quality gadgets in music. Have any Questions, feel free and shoot me a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back