New Member Introductions thread
Feb 10, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #9,452 of 15,586
Hey, everyone. New here and to audiophile audio overall... sorta...

I bought a pair of HD650s on a whim back in 2012 because I wanted to "get serious" about sound, but I've been wondering whether my hearing is too damaged from years of blasting earbuds to appreciate these cans anyway.

I've mostly been listening to music, watching movies and gaming with these from my Sony home theater receiver, which I figured were enough to drive them, but I've moved away from the living room and onto the PC.

Now I'm looking for simple solutions to get the best sound out of these from my computer's on board sound.

Feb 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #9,453 of 15,586
Hey, everyone. New here and to audiophile audio overall... sorta...

I bought a pair of HD650s on a whim back in 2012 because I wanted to "get serious" about sound, but I've been wondering whether my hearing is too damaged from years of blasting earbuds to appreciate these cans anyway.

I've mostly been listening to music, watching movies and gaming with these from my Sony home theater receiver, which I figured were enough to drive them, but I've moved away from the living room and onto the PC.

Now I'm looking for simple solutions to get the best sound out of these from my computer's on board sound.
Without any reservation, I will suggest a Schiit Modi 3 DAC, and a Schiit Magni 3 HP amplifier, for making the music on your laptop sound as good as is possible. $198 total...and they have some b-stock listed on the Schiit site $89 each, save $20). Enjoy!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #9,454 of 15,586
Without any reservation, I will suggest a Schiit Modi 3 DAC, and a Schiit Magni 3 HP amplifier, for making the music on your laptop sound as good as is possible. $198 total...and they have some b-stock listed on the Schiit site $89 each, save $20). Enjoy!

Hey, thanks for the reply! A lot of people seem to recommend the "Schiit stack", so I'm definitely considering it. The only thing I find a bit intimidating is the DAC. I barely even know what "bit depth, sample rate and bitrate" mean to be able to handle a DAC, and I don't want to overcomplicate myself and end up with jittery, unpleasant sound.

Someone else on a different forum directed me to a guy named Zeos on Youtube and he seemed to be fond of the JDS Labs Atom. Any thoughts on that?

Feb 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #9,455 of 15,586
Hey, thanks for the reply! A lot of people seem to recommend the "Schiit stack", so I'm definitely considering it. The only thing I find a bit intimidating is the DAC. I barely even know what "bit depth, sample rate and bitrate" mean to be able to handle a DAC, and I don't want to overcomplicate myself and end up with jittery, unpleasant sound.

Someone else on a different forum directed me to a guy named Zeos on Youtube and he seemed to be fond of the JDS Labs Atom. Any thoughts on that?

There is nothing to be concerned with using an external DAC. As for bit rate, sampling and such, no worries, Modi 3 will handle most anything you throw at is, the exception being DSD and MQA. I know nothing, but the Schiit I know:ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Feb 10, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #9,456 of 15,586
Howdy - been a long time enthusiast and now want to dip my feet in a bit more. Every time I look for gear, it brings me here and the community seems sincere. Hoping for knowledge and maybe meet a few cool folks along the way.

Feb 10, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #9,457 of 15,586
Hey all. New to the site but not new to the audiophile world. I have mostly open back headphones with a handful of closed back. I use them for mainly music and gaming. My pc soundcard is my main dac, it's a soundblaster zxr but I have a Deckard as well. My favorite planars right now are my LCDX and HE500, as for dynamic headphones my DT1990s get the most use. I look forward to chatting it up in the forums and learning as much as I can about the hobby.

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #9,465 of 15,586
Hi everybody. My name is Pavol, and i´m just simple man, which like music...and dream with music.... I´m here few weeks already, but for completing everything, introduce my self little bit. I´m old school type of audiophil, prefere musicality and neutral, clear sound. I can talk about sound and HiFi, audiosources and etc long time, and feel try everything, but it also make me worry, because i can´t have everything...:)
PS: please help - where i can find info, why i can´t make new post on the sell forum, if i want to sell something? It show me just - you are no able do that. Why? Or what i have to do, if i want sell something here? Thanks for help, kind answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back