New Member Introductions thread
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #9,256 of 15,646
Hello all!

I'm Matt and I wound up here as I fell down the headphone (and accompanying gear) hole. I'm enjoying increasing my knowledge base but not enjoying stretching my wallet. I feel like I'm really getting somewhere because my girlfriend recently declared that I have too many pairs of headphones.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #9,258 of 15,646
Howdy,
My name is Derek. My Dad bought me my first pair of headphones at the local electronics store back in 1968 (I was 13 years old). I think they cost $8, but wow, they opened up a whole new world for me. I remember listening to Iron Butterly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", and hearing the drums revolve around my head. How did they do that?

I got my first real set of Sennheiser closed back headphones in college when I began to get serious about recording the band I was in. About 10 years ago I found a pair of HD580 headphones on sale for $130 and scooped them up. Wow again, these really got me hooked, and I've been happily using them for mixing duties ever since.

Now I'm just looking around at what's available that might be a step up from those. The Sennheiser HD 800S seem like a likely candidate, but so do the Audeze LCD-X. I love listening to jazz, orchestral, and bluegrass, but I grew up playing rock and roll, so that will always be something I'm into, plus recording avant garde style music with friends.

I'll look forward to spending time here, making new friends, and learning all about the current state of the art in the world of headphones.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #9,259 of 15,646
Hey, I have been searching the site since 2008 when I got my first IEM and I was looking for audiophiles to help guide me. I am upping my level to now a dedicated HiDef DAP and look forward to being a more active community member. Thanks for having me.

Cant believe there is someone just exactly in the same boat with me, been a silent reader for a long long time since 10 years back, cant believe myself didnt sign up til a very long time.
How are you guys, Im 35 years old audio enthusiast, not quite audiophile, nor have TOTL phones yet. mostly into iems, have 5 pairs over ear headphones. Listening to pop, pop jazz, j-pop, soul, blues, bossa.
Have a nice day everyone

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #9,260 of 15,646
Howdy,
My name is Derek. My Dad bought me my first pair of headphones at the local electronics store back in 1968 (I was 13 years old). I think they cost $8, but wow, they opened up a whole new world for me. I remember listening to Iron Butterly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", and hearing the drums revolve around my head. How did they do that?

I got my first real set of Sennheiser closed back headphones in college when I began to get serious about recording the band I was in. About 10 years ago I found a pair of HD580 headphones on sale for $130 and scooped them up. Wow again, these really got me hooked, and I've been happily using them for mixing duties ever since.

Now I'm just looking around at what's available that might be a step up from those. The Sennheiser HD 800S seem like a likely candidate, but so do the Audeze LCD-X. I love listening to jazz, orchestral, and bluegrass, but I grew up playing rock and roll, so that will always be something I'm into, plus recording avant garde style music with friends.

I'll look forward to spending time here, making new friends, and learning all about the current state of the art in the world of headphones.

Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
IMO, take the LCD-X over the HD800S unless you are willing to commit over $2K to the rest of your system (no idea what your current amp situation is though).

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #9,261 of 15,646
Thanks for warm welcome (and the condolences), kid vic, and yes, I understand that my meager finances will probably have to absorb yet another shock. I also get your point about the LCD-X phones being easier to drive, so no costly amp. upgrades needed to get going, at least for the time being, which was one of the things that attracted me to them.

In any case, I'm in no hurry, as the HD580 phones really are still quite nice, so I can take my time and maybe find a store in a larger city nearby that carries more of the higher end gear that I can listen to in person.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #9,262 of 15,646
Thanks for warm welcome (and the condolences), kid vic, and yes, I understand that my meager finances will probably have to absorb yet another shock. I also get your point about the LCD-X phones being easier to drive, so no costly amp. upgrades needed to get going, at least for the time being, which was one of the things that attracted me to them.

In any case, I'm in no hurry, as the HD580 phones really are still quite nice, so I can take my time and maybe find a store in a larger city nearby that carries more of the higher end gear that I can listen to in person.

No, the LCD-X is not easier to drive, its less amp picky. Given a decent source and a reasonable amount of power the X will sound as good as the HD800S that would require a more careful setup. Planars tend to be more inefficient so I drive them off of speaker taps because I find that is the best way to assure they get ample power and a clean path.

Again, my point is that the HD800's are famed for being notoriously amp and source picky; also, they would not be a good first choice for the music you mentioned (imo).

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #9,263 of 15,646
Ah, thank you for the clarification. Just by the specs, the LCD-X seemed to be much more efficient, and it was something that seemed to be emphasized in quite a few Youtube video reviews (which of course means it MUST be true :)_). Of course, this is precisely why I've become a member here...... I have a lot to learn. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #9,264 of 15,646
Hello: This is my first post. I discovered this website when I was researching buying headphones via Mass Drop. The written reviews (plus YouTube!) were well written and informative and helped me decide to buy the Sennheiser 58X. My new headphones are scheduled for delivery on January 11th. They will be my first ever headphones! I have Sony earbuds and a Creative Zen Nano Plus from 2004, but never bought real headphones. I will be driving them with either my Yamaha Aventage 2060 AVR, or a Yamaha R-S500 receiver, or a HiFiMe Sabre 9018 DAC that I've only used as a DAC with my computer. I still do not know what to expect from those components or the headphones but I'm hoping for the best. I don't know if a separate headphone amp will be added. I am curious to see how the Yamaha AVR virtual surround works with movies. This website and the YouTube tie in are wonderful.

Jan 7, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #9,265 of 15,646
Hello guys. I'm newb to the game.
I got to this hobby 1 year ago and my journey like below:
- dap: xduoo x3 --> aune m1s
- iem: soundmagic e80 --> ostry kc06a --> ibasso it01--> dunu dn2002
Really nice to meet all you.
Btw: you guys have any suggestion for amping to improve my current set's performance (m1s + dn2002) with a budget under $150?
Thanks

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #9,267 of 15,646
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while now and finally decided to join the conversation. Always seems to have lively discussions.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #9,270 of 15,646
Hi Everybody,

I have been looking for a new (used) DAC to replace my 20-year-old Benchmark DAC1...
I stream Tidal/Rune through RPi/Allo Digione+sig to Sen HD600’s and Event Opal powered monitors.

I use my ears professionally in relationship to live acoustic instruments and vocal music.
I record and produce.

Good to meet you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back