New Member Introductions thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #9,196 of 15,539
Hi
I'm just another audio enthusiast looking for answers.

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #9,198 of 15,539
Hello, first time poster as well. I’ve been into the “full size” audio hobby for quite some time and am just getting into the head-if game as I find very little opportunity to use my full size system in a busy house without bothering somebody in my family. Finding this is a great alternative.

I’ve had the audioquest nightowl’s for about a year and really like them. I was powering them with the equally excellent dragonfly red. I’ve found the pair is hard to beat for its size, comfort, sound quality!

Recently I picked up the HD6XX as well to try something more mainstream and open back. I’ve also picked up the liquid platinum amp which I’m loving and the pro-ject s2 digital box for a source.

I’ve been lurking for some time and gained a ton of insight from the forums, looking to start to contribute back!

Thanks,
Zach

Dec 27, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #9,199 of 15,539
Hi guys, new here too.From Holland so english is not my native language but ill manage i gues.Visited this site many times looking for info on how to modify (replace cable) on a Sennheiser MX 980.Seems finally found some info on that yesterday. But hey! that post was years ago! :wink:
This site looks good with lots of good info.
My rig..apart from bulky hifi equipment which includes modified behringer ultracurve.. Cowon d2 with Rockbox\128GB all flac files, mostly paired with Sennheiser Mx 980 ( very neutral sounding earbud with great resolution, without being fatiguing)
They are easy in the 8000hz range. So no hard SSS-sounds with voices.Very good allrounder for all kinds of music. Also use a Sennheiser HD 600

Made some add on molds for the MX 980 years ago which i still use. They pop in easy, resulting in a stable fixed position of the buds.Can't live without them anymore.
Had to make them cause i can't stand in-ears and wanted buds that stay in! and position consistently .I use them with some (parametric) equalisation.
Sadly the cable is coming apart although they still work.
Now i'm looking for a (broken, defect) pair of Sennheiser MX 980 to test a modification on.In any case will i need to replace the cable sooner or later.Sweat would break out if i tried this out on my working pair.
Hope someone can help or give some info on how to open (take apart) these buds.My quess is there's some glue involved?
Would like to post a picture of the molds but that's not allowed yet?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #9,200 of 15,539
Hi guys, new here too.From Holland so english is not my native language but ill manage i gues.Visited this site many times looking for info on how to modify (replace cable) on a Sennheiser MX 980.Seems finally found some info on that yesterday. But hey! that post was years ago! :wink:

Welcome. I love Holland, having been there 10 times. I have met people whose English was better than mine, and you will probably agree with the advice given to me..."Don't attempt to learn Dutch, it will frustrate you and it will anger the Dutch..." So I limit myself to 'Dank u', and 'Doi!'

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #9,201 of 15,539
Welcome. I love Holland, having been there 10 times. I have met people whose English was better than mine, and you will probably agree with the advice given to me..."Don't attempt to learn Dutch, it will frustrate you and it will anger the Dutch..." So I limit myself to 'Dank u', and 'Doi!'
haha would be great listening to ur Dutch...would be funny but nice! ..like u said...its an almost impossible language to learn ur tongue gets tired lol...Nive to see u like the "flatlands"
Have u got any idea how many posts u have to make before u can post images?
see u arround!

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #9,202 of 15,539
Hi,

I don't want to start a new "discussion", so I'll user this as my presentation.

I'm glad to be member of this forum beacuse I'd had the opportunity to read (and learn!) from many people here who really has "golden ears".
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!

Glad to meet you all!

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #9,204 of 15,539
Hello everyone. New guy here, looking forward to learn some more about audio gear and pass along some of what I've learned through the years. Ive been reading the forums here for many years so I figure it's about time I join in on the discussions.

I have a large collection of headphones which I use mostly for music with a little bit of gaming and music as well. I my collection mostly includes open backs from sennheiser, grado, akg, hifiman, audeze, klipsch and stax. I have a couple closed headphones as well, but I'm really looking forward to getting into some portable gear such as iems, daps and portable amps.

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #9,205 of 15,539
Hi everyone, As I've been a long time lurker reading many reviews, I thought It was time to subscribe and introduce myself :beyersmile:

My name is Huib, 39y young, living in the Netherlands, Utrecht area. I'm a total music lover, I play piano (mainly classical) and guitar (mainly rock). I consider myself having an extremely
wide musical taste. From Albinoni and AC/DC to Kaskade and Kraftwerk to Vivaldi and ZZ Top and everything in between.

For years I worked in a major hi-fi shop, during the early rise of surround sound systems & home cinema. But in between all the 5.1, 7.1, 8.2, 10.4 surround sound systems,
12x1000W receivers and 80" plasma TV's, my little piece of heaven remained our dedicated stereo demo room. Tiny 3,5W single-ended tube amps, driving room-high 120dB/W/m horn loudspeakers, fed by a 80LBS solid brass turn table or the first 24Bit upsampling CD/DAC combinations and SACD players. Pure bliss...

But still... I do not call myself an audiophile per se. I don't care if I don't hear every single squeek of a mic stand in a recording, or if every single frequency is presented equally strong. I want to hear the music, feel the music, and feel the emotion in the music. If the music makes me shiver, cry, laugh or makes me tap my feet and hands to the rhythm... it's good.
And yes, usually it takes a quality audio system, whether through speakers or through headphones, to deliver the music that way.

I've set up technically (almost) perfect audio systems, with some of the most ethereal and expensive components, all tuned to the listening room to perfection... perfect instrument separation, perfect stageing depth and width... perfect frequency response...............but just no emotion.
I've set up technically imperfect audio systems, with huge amounts of "THD" (read.. tube amps :beyersmile:), loose bass presentation, etc, but still making people who walked by the demo room, stop to listen and enjoy.. Ok..ok... you get my point.. sorry for the long story,

These days i'm married, we have 2 kids and a mortgage. No money (and room) left for a decent audio system or any expensive stuff. I do most of my music listening on my daily bike commute (Iphone XS with Apple Music streaming to a Beyerdynamic Byron BTA bluetooth in-ear) or late at night on the couch through my Beyer DT250's or AKG K702's..
My previous job was at the local Beyerdynamic importer/distributor so I had my fair share of testing many, many headphones.

I'm now very much interested in small and portable hi-fi gear (DAP's, IEMs, etc.) and i'm looking to upgrade to a dedicated DAP and better, wired IEM's

Thanks for reading!!!

Dec 28, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #9,206 of 15,539
I've been lurking for to much. Started with some cheap superlux now rocking HIFIMAN HE4XX powered by a Fiio Q1. Just bought the materials to build my first cable, the hobby is just starting.
Thanks and I hope my english is good enough (Italian living in USA)

Dec 28, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #9,207 of 15,539
Hi my name is Benny, be a ghost user for awhile. Recently I saw some deal on the buy/sell section, but because I didn't have the privilege to post, I missed the deal. Right now I am trying to earn more so that I can buy something from others.
Currently setup: ATH-MSR7, ATH-LS200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back