New Member Introductions thread
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #8,957 of 15,534
Hi everyone, after a few years of lurking here for informations on any audio-related stuff (so useful !), I'd now like to participate in the conversations about the gear that interests me. A thread here a few years ago finally made me chose my DT880 + Fiio amp, and it was a great decision. Looking for more useful discussions!

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #8,958 of 15,534
Welp, found a crack/speedball on eBay cheap so I set my max bid and somehow won it.

All I’ll say is damn. Love this 6XX/bottlehead combo. First pair of headphones I’ve owned since I was a kid. Running my all analog rig into the crack right now and it sounds sublime.

The rye helps, I’m sure. Speaking of which, time for a refill...

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #8,959 of 15,534
Hello! My name is Eugene, I'm from Russia.
For over 15 years I have been listening to music. More than 4 years of listening to music with headphones.
My current system: iMac 2017> Weiss INT 202> DAC Chord QBD76HD> balanced amplifier Beta 22> Abyss AB-1266 and HE1000 v.2 headphones

Abyss is currently being upgraded to Phi version.

I wish everyone to get real pleasure from listening to music with a glass of wine or whiskey)

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #8,960 of 15,534
Hello! My name is Eugene, I'm from Russia.
For over 15 years I have been listening to music. More than 4 years of listening to music with headphones.
My current system: iMac 2017> Weiss INT 202> DAC Chord QBD76HD> balanced amplifier Beta 22> Abyss AB-1266 and HE1000 v.2 headphones

Abyss is currently being upgraded to Phi version.

I wish everyone to get real pleasure from listening to music with a glass of wine or whiskey)

Welcome John1 (Eugene)!

I'd say sorry for your wallet but your endgame setup says thats unnecessary. Proceed to summit-fi and join your peers!

Nov 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #8,961 of 15,534
Welp, found a crack/speedball on eBay cheap so I set my max bid and somehow won it.

All I’ll say is damn. Love this 6XX/bottlehead combo. First pair of headphones I’ve owned since I was a kid. Running my all analog rig into the crack right now and it sounds sublime.

The rye helps, I’m sure. Speaking of which, time for a refill...

A classic combo that many members says can't be beat by anything near the price! Welcome to head-fi!

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #8,962 of 15,534
High there, been out of the 'portable' arena for a while.
Apart from full house multiroom system with Sonos including Sonos connect with cyrus ampage and PMC floor standers running from a synology NAS as backup. All music where possible is FLAC .

Portable wise I have a sony NWZ-A15, Sennheiser MM450 bluetooth portables, Bose QC25 wired, Sennheiser HD25-I-II (wired) and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (wired). I also travel with a Ultimate Ears speaker (bluetooth). I also use headphones as a 'skype' device. I cannot live with any in ear stuff at all.

As a I Travel a lot the main listening is done via the Sony player and the Bose QC25 (wired) and the Ultimate ears Bluetooth speaker.
- Soundwise I prefer the Momentums, but they are not as travel friendly as the Bose
- the Sennheiser MM450 are nearly perfect for what I want on the go, but the battery life is an issue
- love the HD25-i-ii, their sound isnt as good as the momentums or the bose and they are not great portable. However they feel like they would survive a nuclear strike and if they didnt you could always rebuild them yourself.

So - whilst not high end uber geek - quality is important.

Which brings me back to the Sony NWZ-A15 - I put a massive amount of research at the time and struggled with finding the holy trinity of good battery life, capacity/expandability, and Bluetooth.

I've been out of the game for 3 years so don't really know whats around anymore - I'm after replacing/upping my sony, but appear to be still struggling to find a player that hits all three orf the trinity and sound good as well.

Cowon Plenu D - no bluetooth, A&K jr - crap battery life

without spending the next few weeks investigating and p*ssing my wife off, can anyone shortcut some recommendations outside the Sony arena - (I already know they have devices that suit)
Requirements
- Bluetooth
- 128gb minimum (or expandable to 128gb)
- battery life >15-20hrs minimum?

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #8,963 of 15,534
High there, been out of the 'portable' arena for a while.
Apart from full house multiroom system with Sonos including Sonos connect with cyrus ampage and PMC floor standers running from a synology NAS as backup. All music where possible is FLAC .

Portable wise I have a sony NWZ-A15, Sennheiser MM450 bluetooth portables, Bose QC25 wired, Sennheiser HD25-I-II (wired) and Sennheiser Momentum 2 (wired). I also travel with a Ultimate Ears speaker (bluetooth). I also use headphones as a 'skype' device. I cannot live with any in ear stuff at all.

As a I Travel a lot the main listening is done via the Sony player and the Bose QC25 (wired) and the Ultimate ears Bluetooth speaker.
- Soundwise I prefer the Momentums, but they are not as travel friendly as the Bose
- the Sennheiser MM450 are nearly perfect for what I want on the go, but the battery life is an issue
- love the HD25-i-ii, their sound isnt as good as the momentums or the bose and they are not great portable. However they feel like they would survive a nuclear strike and if they didnt you could always rebuild them yourself.

So - whilst not high end uber geek - quality is important.

Which brings me back to the Sony NWZ-A15 - I put a massive amount of research at the time and struggled with finding the holy trinity of good battery life, capacity/expandability, and Bluetooth.

I've been out of the game for 3 years so don't really know whats around anymore - I'm after replacing/upping my sony, but appear to be still struggling to find a player that hits all three orf the trinity and sound good as well.

Cowon Plenu D - no bluetooth, A&K jr - crap battery life

without spending the next few weeks investigating and p*ssing my wife off, can anyone shortcut some recommendations outside the Sony arena - (I already know they have devices that suit)
Requirements
- Bluetooth
- 128gb minimum (or expandable to 128gb)
- battery life >15-20hrs minimum?
Welcome aboard, @sparkyhx!! That i's some nice gear you have got. So, I would recommend that you post your inquiry in a new thread on this board--you'll get much more feedback with a new thread than you will here on this thread as, traffic is generally much greater there than on this thread.. Good luck!! :)

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #8,965 of 15,534
Hello all,
Obligatory new member introduction. Time to take my home theater/stereo setup to a much smaller stage. Building out a near-field soundstage with a quality DAC/Amp, powered monitors, and a nice pair of headphones for my office. The headphones are a must since my office is right below my son's bedroom. Looking forward to learning a lot on here!

Nov 15, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #8,966 of 15,534
Hi All,

I'm Lorenzo from SF Bay Area. I'm fairly new to headphones but not new to the audio world.
Me and the wife are expecting our first fairly soon and so I decided a headphone setup may be better than having piping hot tube amps laying around.
Thankfully, the wife knows I'm a music junkie and can't live without my tunes. She also knows I'm very picky about the quality of sound.
So I got the green light to put together a nice headphone setup :raised_hands: :metal:

Started out with a Schiit Stack Vali/Modi combo and Sennheiser HD280 last month.
Sadly, I got tired of the Vali ringing everytime I moved around so, I have since jumped onto a Bottlehead Crack.
Currently breaking it in now together with Sennheiser HD650's, that I received as a gift from the wife.
Paired the combo together with my Rega R-Dac and everything is sounding awesome!
Also now, looking to also grab a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 for the office. Not sure if they seal well enough so neighbors can't hear me.
Hopefully, I can learn a lot more here on the forums about what would be best in an office environment.

Thanks for reading,
Lorenzo

Nov 15, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #8,968 of 15,534
I have frequented these forums for several months now soaking up as much as I could. Finally decided to register an account so I can ask some questions about a few things, though I have to say using the search these last several months I have been able to find just about everything answered. Anyways I am still very new to high end audio but I have owned a few products over the last several years.

First purchase outside of $20 headphones:
MTH-M50s with FiiO E11

PC Headphones for Gaming/Music:
HD598's with FiiO E11k w/ SoundBlaster Titanium X-Fi HD

PC Speakers for Gaming/Music:
Vanatoo T1's

Bluetooth for Work:
Skull Candy Crusher 2's (Overall not impressed but I wanted something with heavy bass to drown out the noise of other people)

My true entrance into higher end audio for music:
Massdrop HD6XX's (The latest Massdrop arrived a few days ago) currently being powered with the FiiO E11k off of the Titanium HD soundcard. However that will all change hopefully this weekend when my Schiit Modi Multibit and Magni 3 arrive.
I have a Spotify account but recently grabbed a Tidal subscription as they advertise FLAC audio, as of right now the HD6XX's are just world changing over the HD598's for music and I dont even have my Schiit Stack yet.

I do have a ton of questions but I think I need to wait until I get my full setup in before I go jumping off and spending more money. I was very curious about Tube amps and thought about getting the Vali 2 over the Magni 3 for my first DAC, though reading several posts on this forum is seems Solid State should come first. I think when the time is right and I feel like I have adjusted enough to what I have I will do more research into tubes and see where that rabbit hole leads.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #8,970 of 15,534
Hi,
New member here. Been a speaker guy all my life until recently discovering the headphone (sub?)culture and became intrigued. Sent Massdrop a bunch of $$ for some Sennheiser HD6XX's and Hifiman HE4XX's, and also picked up a Schiit Asgard 2. I'm having fun!

Paul
Welcome aboard, Paul!! Glad you are having fun. Sorry about your wallet. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back