New Member Introductions thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #8,492 of 15,538
Hello everyone, I made an account a few weeks ago, but I haven't explored much of this site yet. I would categorize myself as a complete amateur, but I've done some reading in varies forums about different headphones and its sounds. I don't know man, I just like music and headphones, looking into acquiring a collection of around 5 headphones as a short-term goal.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #8,493 of 15,538
Hi i'm Cory, not to sure what to say because 1 of my dislikes is introductions & 1 of my likes is headphones so this is a compromise. I'm from New Zealand, not much of a Audio scene that i've seen here, a few people here interested in headphones but not many that actually buy them.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #8,495 of 15,538
Hello all,

My name's Josh, live in Buenos Aires, and am a music lover and thus interested in the whole audio world, but with the music as the end goal, not the equipment. That said, being in BsAs in a small urban apartment has me no longer using my beloved prior setup (Cary tube amp + Harbeths) and looking for a good small active speaker + DAP/music server setup... ergo I've registered and am trying to make heads and tails of all the contemporary jargon, technology, and options out there!

Saludos!

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #8,496 of 15,538
Hello all,

My name's Josh, live in Buenos Aires, and am a music lover and thus interested in the whole audio world, but with the music as the end goal, not the equipment. That said, being in BsAs in a small urban apartment has me no longer using my beloved prior setup (Cary tube amp + Harbeths) and looking for a good small active speaker + DAP/music server setup... ergo I've registered and am trying to make heads and tails of all the contemporary jargon, technology, and options out there!

Saludos!
Welcome aboard, Josh!! Head-fi is a great place to learn about the whole contemporary headphone scene (big change from your Cary's for sure (I used to have a pair of 805s myself)). Enjoy yourself!! :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #8,498 of 15,538
Whats up Head-Fi? Been into headphones for a few years, lurking here for awhile and active on reddit (r/headphones & AVExchange). Figured I may as well formalize my lurking as there seems to be a bit more depth to the discussions here.

Been a Sennheiser fanboy forever with the H6XXs as my most-used set of cans, but recently got the HE4XX and T50RP MK3 and am now infatuated with planars. Driving everything with Modi2/Magni2 for the last couple years, but with the recent dip into planar's I've been re-evaluated my setup and looking into upgrading both dac/amp and possibly headphones up to the TH-X00 or Argons.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #8,499 of 15,538
Hi I got lots of info here regardings dacs and technical point of views. Here its like a real comunity. I specially like Rob Watts contribution so I can learn many things from a proffessional desigere/ endeneer from Chord Elc. Regads to everybody.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #8,500 of 15,538
My name is charlie. I have read so many articles in this forum in the last 7 years. My wallet has not been happy supporting my thirst to try new iems. But i have been very happy with my iems thanks to good recommendations from various people in this forum.
I love hearing this thanks for posting about it. :smile:

Aug 30, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #8,501 of 15,538
Hello, my name is Goran. I have been reading quite a bit on head-fi as a spectator to find out what is the kind of setup that could bring me the experience I am looking for...but now I have the impression I am a bit limited by my understanding of my equipment, to get the maximum out of it.

I have already been trying out some headphones , audio players...keeping some and sending back others... and have arrived close to where I think I want to be. (This might be a dangerous statement) Currently I use a Plenue 1 as music storage, optically connected to my Hugo 2 and then into an Utopia. I am incredibly happy with the Plenue 1 for several reasons, amongst others the sound quality pleases me so much for a portable device that it has made me stop using my Mojo. I also use a second Plenue 1 directly connected to my AKG 812 for a more portable setup. Although the Utopias definitely seem in a different league, the AKG 812 are a pair of headphones that I feel are underappreciated as they have given me immense satisfaction for the kind of music I like to listen to (clasical/opera/relaxing), plus they seems so well built. Besides these I use my T1 when I feel like with a massdrop CTH tube amp, while my HD 800 is being left in its box more and more. The things I might like to add to my setup in a future are a Hugo M scaler, and eventually a pair of IEMs that can compare to the Utopia.

However getting back at my wish to optimize what I already have I will start by asking whether there is better way (better than optical) to connect the Plenue 1 with the Hugo 2, the reason why I ask is because to my surprise even with optical out from Plenue 1 to the Hugo 2, the EQ settings from the Plenue 1 have an effect on the sound, while I would expect Plenue was just sending the data to Hugo 2 to be handled there, just as for instance the volume setting on the Plenue 1 has no impact when optically connected.

Regards to everybody

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #8,502 of 15,538
Hi i'm Cory, not to sure what to say because 1 of my dislikes is introductions & 1 of my likes is headphones so this is a compromise. I'm from New Zealand, not much of a Audio scene that i've seen here, a few people here interested in headphones but not many that actually buy them.
Welcome aboard, Cory!! You are in a very good place if you like headphones, that's for sure. This is quite a community with lots of people buying lots of gear all the time. Enjoy yourself!! All the best--.

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #8,503 of 15,538
Another newbie Hello from LA....

Lower Alabama...the original.

Retired now after 40+ years in the audio industry, selling mainly high-end gear. Fortunately, my hearing is still hanging in there and now I'm into IEMs.

As the name says, I'm a tweaker.
The weakest link in your system is the one you ignore...

Thanks...

Greg

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #8,504 of 15,538
Another newbie Hello from LA....

Lower Alabama...the original.

Retired now after 40+ years in the audio industry, selling mainly high-end gear. Fortunately, my hearing is still hanging in there and now I'm into IEMs.

As the name says, I'm a tweaker.
The weakest link in your system is the one you ignore...

Thanks...

Greg
Welcome aboard, Greg!! Never been to LA but I did go to a BAMA game in B'ham once (used to live in Nashville). I suspect an educated person like yourself will find much to explore here on Head-fi. Enjoy yourself! All the best--.

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #8,505 of 15,538
Hello,

I'm Joel, I'm from Whitehorse Yukon Canada. I'm new to the online audio community and I'd say I'm Intermediate when it comes to Audio in general. Mostly new when it comes to the Audiophile grade personal audio equipment. I was in Junior high when the first Gen iPod came out and I decided that not having the option of swappable storage was a bad idea so I went the Mini disc route. I still don't regret my choice. I've work in Retail selling Bowers and Wilkins speakers everything up to the 800 series, Yamaha, Paradigm speakers, Rotel and Classé. (Ive moved on to a different career) I never develop a deep understanding of how Audio works but I would say I have a basic understanding. I'd like to learn more. I am completely new to headphone Audio and just getting back into audio after 10 years.

I'll be posting an advice thread because I do need suggestions. It's great to be part of this community, have a great day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back