New Member Introductions thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #4,996 of 15,601
Hello everyone, figured I'd finally make an account after lurking for years.

My current setup for background is HD800, HD800S, LCD-3, with Wyrd + Modi 2 + Asgard 2

Some goals and aspirations: dying to go Gumby (or yggy) and Mjolnir 2 for sure and try tube rolling with a balanced setup

Thank you!

Welcome!  How do you like the Modi 2?  I'm thinking of getting one.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #4,997 of 15,601
Welcome!  How do you like the Modi 2?  I'm thinking of getting one.

I don't mind the Modi 2 but I always feel like I'm missing something in the music. Don't get me wrong it's a nice little DAC but it does require the Wyrd over USB for a better experience.

If I could go back, I would have told myself to go for full balanced right away though like a Gungnir but that's my speculation, I haven't actually had a chance to try the Gumby yet.

Edit: It does feel a tad veiled I would say, makes me feel like something in my setup could be improved. The DAC is fine though, but without some comparison, I can't give a reasoned response

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #4,998 of 15,601
Hey everyone, new here on Head Fi but I've read many reviews on this site. I was fortunate enought to attend CanJam NYC this weekend and really enjoyed listening to the HD 800s, LCD-2, EL8s, He-6s. I currently own the SHP9500s and HD558s so I am a noob but I've learned a lot about hi-fi audio over the last 6-7 months and appreciate the advice and tips from you guys. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #4,999 of 15,601
Hi Everyone,

I am Felix from Singapore and I am new here.
Recently caught the headphone bug and started with OPPO PM3, followed by Dragonfly Red, Mojo, Nighthawks and HD800S
Now I am aiming for the HDVD800 or the upcoming new model ?

Cheers !
Felix SG

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #5,001 of 15,601
Hi everyone! I'm Josh. I've been reading reviews and getting a lot of great info off this site for a few months now. Figured I may as well make an account. 
smile.gif
  I wouldn't really classify myself as an audiophile (yet), I just really like good sound. It really started with my LG V10, and now that I have the V20 the bug has hit hard. I have always used $20 earbuds, my first nice headphones were my Sony MDR-V6's. I love those, but they aren't very portable, hence the earbuds. I got a pair of B&O Play H3's with my V20 and really like them, but i want better. So I'll be asking a lot of questions. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #5,002 of 15,601
Hey guys I'm Charlie,

I used to listen to my music using a gaming headset and my Samsung S6 Edge (don't crucify me, I was young and naive), but after finding a good deal on a pair of Shure SRH1540 cans and an Oppo HA-2 DAC, I have seen how much better the music I'm listening to could have been.

Now looking to buy some nice IEMs such as the Shure SE846 to replace my current crappy earphones, the Bose SoundSport.

Question. If I were to buy some SE846, would the Oppo HA-2 be able to get (close to) the best out of the SE846? The impedence of the SE846 is 9 ohms and the output impedence of the HA-2 is claimed to be 0.5 ohms, although another source states it is "a steady 1.3-1.4ohm, including cables". I've read the output impedence should be roughly 10 times lower than the load it is driving.

Thanks guys,
Charlie.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #5,003 of 15,601
Hi Charlie,

What kind of music are you in to, that might have more of a bearing on a recommendation than you'd think, as BA driven (SE846) IEMs sound different to dynamic (regular) IEMs, and that is a whole lot of cash to blow as a first investment.

That being said, if you've already demoed and like them, I'll let someone else answer re the OPPO, as not played with it myself.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #5,004 of 15,601
Good day, Head-Fi-ers!

I'm a long-time lurker of Head-Fi and hydrogenaudio, but have become a bit more serious about audio in the past year or two. My first decent headphones were Grado SR80i, then added a Sennheiser HD280 a few years back. After moving to Australia with only MEE M6 Pro IEMs (which are, to my ears, pretty dang good value), I started re-building my music production setup and purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and DAC, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80 ohm) and a Bravo Audio v2. I've just upgraded the amp to a Mayflower Objective2 Amp (the optionally battery powered version) and have a Sennheiser HD600 en route - sooo excited to receive and listen on them!

I am hoping this will keep me content for the next year or two. As mentioned, I produce music as a creative/expressive/fun outlet and realized my DT770s are indeed 'fun' headphones - not quite neutral enough to be excellent for audio engineering and such. So I ended up getting an HD600, which I understand to be about as neutral as it gets under $300. 

Also hoping to attend a meetup in the Sydney area! Posting in that thread now :)

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,005 of 15,601
  Good day, Head-Fi-ers!

I'm a long-time lurker of Head-Fi and hydrogenaudio, but have become a bit more serious about audio in the past year or two. My first decent headphones were Grado SR80i, then added a Sennheiser HD280 a few years back. After moving to Australia with only MEE M6 Pro IEMs (which are, to my ears, pretty dang good value), I started re-building my music production setup and purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and DAC, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (80 ohm) and a Bravo Audio v2. I've just upgraded the amp to a Mayflower Objective2 Amp (the optionally battery powered version) and have a Sennheiser HD600 en route - sooo excited to receive and listen on them!

I am hoping this will keep me content for the next year or two. As mentioned, I produce music as a creative/expressive/fun outlet and realized my DT770s are indeed 'fun' headphones - not quite neutral enough to be excellent for audio engineering and such. So I ended up getting an HD600, which I understand to be about as neutral as it gets under $300. 

Also hoping to attend a meetup in the Sydney area! Posting in that thread now :)

Welcome@Cannabat! We are very sorry about your wallet.  ---)

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #5,006 of 15,601
Hello everyone, another member lurking for years, and finally posting for the 1st time!

I started reading all the basshead threads from hawaiibadboy and it's been real fun!

I mainly use my gear on the go. After trying quite a bit of gear, I learned that you don't need to compromise on clear mids and highs for strong bass and sub-bass.

I'm a runner and all the iems I've tried have been tested while running.

I currently own: ASG 2.5, Sony XB90, Sony MDR-Z5, Sony, MDR-7550 (tapped to increase sub-bass) and the JVC SZ-2000. As far as DAC/AMPS, I have the iFI iCAN Micro Special Edition and the Headstage Arrow 5TX with Enhanced Bass Boost.

My music preference is rock, pop, hiphop, r&b and latin.

Can't wait to keep trying more gear and enjoying this great and expensive hobby!

Thank you!

PS: Still figuring out how to setup my picture and profile =)

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #5,007 of 15,601
Hi peeps, finally posting something here after lurking around here for all sorts of recommendations.

I currently own an asg 1.3(planning to upgrade) and an he400s

Student life means not much budget but I'm willing to eat ramen for weeks to get good audio!!!

Pleased to meet you guys!!!

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #5,008 of 15,601
Hey everyone I'm José,

I can consider myself an audiophile for quite a few years, but only in my leaving room, mainly listening to vinyl records on my stereo valve amps, valve preamp (RIAA) and my Michell Gyrodeck.

A few months ago I start to commute to work by bus, and the trip is more than an hour. I’m using my mobile (Sony Xperia Z5 Premium) to listen lossless FLAC’s. First I use the headset that come with the smartphone, but I notice a lot of detail in the music needed to come closer.

After lurking in the forums, I take the plunge, and acquired a Sony XBA-300. The difference in sound detail is amazing.
This are my first in-earphone of this price range.
I’m now thinking on an upgrade to the cables.

Thank you guys !!!

Bye for now.
JF

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #5,009 of 15,601
Hi, I'm argonflame.

I've been into audio and headphones since high school when I first heard Koss PortaPros and built a CMoy amp with my dad, but I've only recently started to dive into higher-end components. My current set-up is Modi MB (USB in) -> Asgard 2 -> HD650, and I have a pair of used HD800's on the way.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #5,010 of 15,601
Hi there, 

I'm new to the forums and to the hobby. Been lurking and researching for a while now and thought I'd need some personalized help so may as well create an account. At least my first post won't be a "headphone advice" one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back