New Member Introductions thread
Jan 31, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #4,966 of 15,538
Hello All,

My name is Brad and I've been a lurker of Head-Fi for a long time. The reviews and articles have been a great resource for me when making various headphone purchases.

As others have stated, I'm definitely a headphone addict.

Gear includes:

Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10
Grado SR-80e
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog
Jaybird Bluebuds X
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9
Beyerdynamic T90 (latest purchase)
FiiO E09k Amp/DAC
FiiO E17k Alpen
FiiO E07k Andes

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #4,967 of 15,538
  Hello All,

My name is Brad and I've been a lurker of Head-Fi for a long time. The reviews and articles have been a great resource for me when making various headphone purchases.

As others have stated, I'm definitely a headphone addict.

Gear includes:

Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10
Grado SR-80e
Mr. Speakers Mad Dog
Jaybird Bluebuds X
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9
Beyerdynamic T90 (latest purchase)
FiiO E09k Amp/DAC
FiiO E17k Alpen
FiiO E07k Andes

Welcome, Brad! We are so very sorry about your wallet. --)

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,969 of 15,538
Hey all,

My name is Matt and I like audio/audio systems/synths, all sorts of things to do with audio ! I also like to make products which enable other peoples projects (as well as my own).

Great to have found head-fi.org !

Matt

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #4,970 of 15,538
Hi everyone!

My name is Drew, and I've been reading reviews (and all sorts of other interesting info) here on Head-Fi for a while.  I went to ask a question a few days ago, and realized that somehow in the last two years, I neglected to join entirely!  Sooooo, here I am!  I've appreciated everyone's often MASSIVELY extensive knowledge to purchase my own slice of hifi, and now hope to share what little I've got with y'all.

My current gear is:

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs w/ the alpha pads
Audio Technica ATH-IM02 IEMs
JDS Labs C5D amp/dac
An ipod and computer chock a block full o music (ranging from terrible terrible mp3's from middle school to paranoidly-ripped FLACs)
One of those old-fashioned cd disk changer thingies (holds 5 entire cd's!)
Mark-1 ears!

Cheers all!

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #4,971 of 15,538
  Hello fellow audiophiles!

I go by HL, and this is a pretty cool site. I've been into home theater setups and have been building my own audio 'arsenal' since college at Baylor. I'm also an affluent saxophonist and gig around playing jazz, R&B, and some blues.

Some of my gear:

Recording:
Audio Technica PRO 35 Instrument mic
Cubase 7

Theater:
Pioneer VSX-90 paired with Cambridge SoundWorks speakers and a JBL Sub (DTS:X 5.1 setup)
Sony MDR HW700DS Surround Cans for those late night sessions (yes, they are the Japanese version)
Sony MDR 6000RF (my first introduction into surround sound, albeit virtual)

Phones:
Bose QC 2 for travel (first pair of actual headphones)
Turtle Beach XO Seven Pro for Gaming (they're...disappointing, although the mic does well for chat on Xbox Live)

I also sport:
A custom iPod Video 5th Gen with Tarkan's iFlash mod (using a 128 GB Samsung EVO - 80MB/s), mainly for use in the car
A stock 160GB iPod Classic 7th Gen that's hooked up to my MDR HW700DS for music around the house
A JVC KD-x320BTS audio receiver for my car.
Lenovo T550 PC
Lenovo T530 PC

I'm a tech junkie and I love tearing things apart. I've built several computers in the past, learned how to repair various woodwind instruments from a true master, and helped a great friend of mine set up his [insured] home theater after a lightning storm (long story) with top of the line Bowers & Wilkins gear in his den (7.1 config).

I'm glad to be on Head-Fi and I look forward to expanding both my knowledge of high-end audio equipment and my audio arsenal with some serious equipment.

-HL

Hi Saxoleon, I was wondering how long you have had your modified ipod (with the tarkin flash mod) and how its holding up for you long-term?  I just got one for the holidays, and you're the first other person I've run into who has one.  Also, props on the sax!

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,972 of 15,538
  Hi everyone!

My name is Drew, and I've been reading reviews (and all sorts of other interesting info) here on Head-Fi for a while.  I went to ask a question a few days ago, and realized that somehow in the last two years, I neglected to join entirely!  Sooooo, here I am!  I've appreciated everyone's often MASSIVELY extensive knowledge to purchase my own slice of hifi, and now hope to share what little I've got with y'all.

My current gear is:

MrSpeakers Mad Dogs w/ the alpha pads
Audio Technica ATH-IM02 IEMs
JDS Labs C5D amp/dac
An ipod and computer chock a block full o music (ranging from terrible terrible mp3's from middle school to paranoidly-ripped FLACs)
One of those old-fashioned cd disk changer thingies (holds 5 entire cd's!)
Mark-1 ears!

Cheers all!

Welcome, Sharktopus!  We are all so sorry about your wallet.  --)

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4,973 of 15,538
  Welcome, Sharktopus!  We are all so sorry about your wallet.  --)

Thanks for the empathy!  Though my wallet would likely agree with you *moths flying frantically out*, it has been an unspeakably massive upgrade from my laptop speakers and those little apple earbuds.  Especially the audio technicas make long flights way way better.  However, I constantly struggle with new audio gear v live shows v backpacking gear, and to be honest, audio gear almost always loses; se la vi.

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #4,974 of 15,538
Hi Saxoleon, I was wondering how long you have had your modified ipod (with the tarkin flash mod) and how its holding up for you long-term?  I just got one for the holidays, and you're the first other person I've run into who has one.  Also, props on the sax!

Hey sharktopus, thanks for asking- I've had it since October of '16 and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's still super snappy and responsive, while the battery lasts a super long time with ALAC playback. I've actually been meaning to do the mod again on my 7th gen, but I've heard those models are far harder to crack open. Granted, I can do it, but you know...there's always a risk.

I've heard of some cases online that people are having drive failures after doing the mod - needing to restore and resync to get back to normal. It was hypothesized that fragmentation was the cause, but that's just plain BS. Flash memory isn't really subjected to the detriments of fragmention like HDDs are. More than likely, the cheaper cells aren't holding up and data is lost, which makes more sense. The cheap cards aren't designed for constant use, just bursts... like with a camera or camcorder.

A lot of guys out there trying to get as much storage as possible using cheap MicroSD cards seem to be having the most issues, as you'd expect. Personally, I bought the iFlash Solo and loaded it with the Samsung EVO select 128 GB Micro SD with adapter and it writes and reads like a champ. Though it's technically slower than a SDXC or SDHC card, I think the difference would be negligible if I were to compare. I've always trusted Samsung after I put one of their 840 Pro drives in my T530. They're just built to last and they're fast. I've written over 14 TB, and the drive still writes at a blistering 5643 MB/s, as of, well, right now. Yes, it's still that fast. (SATA III, UEFI and RAPID enabled)

Tarkan put a link somwhere on his site comparing speeds of the Solo, Dual, Quad and mSATA with various drive configs. Might be worth reading if you haven't already. What's your iPod setup?

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #4,975 of 15,538
Hi, I've been lurking around here for quite some time..

Im thinking of upgrading my Hegel Super and taking it to work and having a more stationary DAC/AMP at home. A worm and musical solution would be awesome in the same pricerange or slightly above the o2/odac/schiitstack.

My headphones atm are Philips X1 but thinking of getting something more, as allways.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #4,976 of 15,538
Hey sharktopus, thanks for asking- I've had it since October of '16 and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. It's still super snappy and responsive, while the battery lasts a super long time with ALAC playback. I've actually been meaning to do the mod again on my 7th gen, but I've heard those models are far harder to crack open. Granted, I can do it, but you know...there's always a risk.

I've heard of some cases online that people are having drive failures after doing the mod - needing to restore and resync to get back to normal. It was hypothesized that fragmentation was the cause, but that's just plain BS. Flash memory isn't really subjected to the detriments of fragmention like HDDs are. More than likely, the cheaper cells aren't holding up and data is lost, which makes more sense. The cheap cards aren't designed for constant use, just bursts... like with a camera or camcorder.

A lot of guys out there trying to get as much storage as possible using cheap MicroSD cards seem to be having the most issues, as you'd expect. Personally, I bought the iFlash Solo and loaded it with the Samsung EVO select 128 GB Micro SD with adapter and it writes and reads like a champ. Though it's technically slower than a SDXC or SDHC card, I think the difference would be negligible if I were to compare. I've always trusted Samsung after I put one of their 840 Pro drives in my T530. They're just built to last and they're fast. I've written over 14 TB, and the drive still writes at a blistering 5643 MB/s, as of, well, right now. Yes, it's still that fast. (SATA III, UEFI and RAPID enabled)

Tarkan put a link somwhere on his site comparing speeds of the Solo, Dual, Quad and mSATA with various drive configs. Might be worth reading if you haven't already. What's your iPod setup?

Wow! That was a lot of great info! I've got an ipod classic 7th gen which a friend of mine modified for me.  He upgrades ipods here and there to grab a few extra bucks.  From what I've heard from him (mostly in the form of lots of cursing 
biggrin.gif
) your are correct that the 7th gen's are a royal pain to open up without snapping off a bunch of tiny fragile little tabs.  If you can wrangle someone who has worked on the 7th gens before, I'd recommend that, because to my knowledge he ruined and had to replace about 5-10 backplates before he got good at disassembling them.  I'm not exactly sure what card I've got in mine, though I believe its one of the 128 GB Samsung SDXC cards.  Either way like you, I've noticed a vast improvement in my battery life, even with most of its use either at full volume to my car's tape deck or to a LOD to my headphone amp.  I'll have to check out Tarkan's website and see if I can find the comparison article you were talking about.  It definitely sounds interesting, especially if I ever need/desire to upgrade the card in mine.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #4,977 of 15,538
I like to believe I'm an audio enthusiast. I spend most of my day with headphones in or on. As far as my music taste goes its mostly metal, with a touch of post rock and electronic. I've come back to Head-Fi after losing my 3 year old V-Moda vibes recently (may they rest in peace) so I'm looking to upgrade my portable set up.

Recently (a few hours ago) purchased a pair of LZ-A4's from Penon Audio so you'll probably see me on the DAP forums soon looking to source from something other than my LG-G3.

Here's my ownership history, I'm a bit inexperienced as a currently poor graduate student. 

Sennheiser CX-300 (In-ear)
Beyerdynamic XP3 (IEM)
V-moda Vibe (IEM) 

Current:
V-moda Crossfade M100 (Light circumaural)
Micca MB42X (Bookshelf speakers)
Lepy LP-2024A+ (desktop amp for speakers)

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #4,978 of 15,538
Hi,
My name is Jan, audiophile that recently moved to Santa Barbara, CA from Germany. I was looking for a new, non-german high-fi forum and guess I was successful.
Fan of InEar monitoring (the brand), but also have a bunch other headphones that I brought from overseas.

Looking forward to explore the forum, and the market here.
At the moment, I am mostly using my InEar StageDiver SD-4.

Best

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #4,979 of 15,538
Hi all,

Came across this forum a few months ago but only now decided to sign-up and start posting. A brief introduction: I'm 30-years old and live in central Europe. I have owned a pair of Beyerdynamics 880s for a few years but wanted to improve my audio experience, have been looking into getting some HD 650s with a Shiit Valhalla 2 amp.

Cheers,

Malthusian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back