New Member Introductions thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #4,951 of 15,538
Hi, it's time for new headphones. Of all the sites I've looked at this looks like it could have the most interesting feedback.

I'm looking for Bluetooth, on ear (for travelling and work), and closed so I don't bug the people around. Reasonably good noise insulation (for on ears) seems to be something that is often not mentioned in reviews and is really important. I'm happy with something that has a bit of added bass but that goes overboard... I listen to a wide variety of music, from classical to hip hop, so it's a nice balance I'm looking for.

Budget maybe up to 200 I think. Less would be better haha! :wink: But I'm keeping options open.

Any suggestions to narrow things down would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,952 of 15,538
  What's up everyone! Been mostly a lurker and follower of the audiophile community for a while, but now that I have landed on some good stable flooring, I can finally start building my own set. Currently have my hands on DT 990 Pro, and this community has been helpful in looking for amps and other peripherals that can improve my experience! I hope we all have a good time together!

Nice to have you on board!  

If you're looking for peripherals, head over to Massdrop--they have great deals all the time.  
  1. I you are looking for a tube amp, I'd wait for a Little Dot l+ or II drop, then roll the tubes.  Alternatively, you could wait for a Bravo V2, but it's a bit less customizable.  If you are on a shoestring budget and just want a tube amp, grab an NS-01E--they sound only marginally worse than the amp on the SMSL M6.   
  2. If you're looking for a hybrid DAC/solid-state-Amp, the SMSL M6 punches waaay above its price range, and has been compared favorably to the Schiit and O2/ODAC stack.  I've also heard good things about the Topping hybrids, but can't speak from experience. Shoestring option: SMSL M3.  Yes, SMSL is Chinese, but they put out some kickass gear, and some terrible gear.  These are the good ones.  The SMSL SAP-8 also seems to be quite nice from what I've read, and uses swappable op-amps.
  3. The HRT MusicStreamer II is a fabulous DAC that can sometimes be found used at low prices.
  4. The Fiio X3-II is the best DAP I've tried (Beats the Sony NW-A25 and Plenue D), and also functions as a portable DAC/Amp or DAC.  In this latter function, it sounds absolutely fantastic, rivaling the SMSL M6.  It's occasionally available on Massdrop for $145 including shipping.  Unfortunately, I got impatient and bought mine through Amazon...   

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,953 of 15,538
Hello all! Though I just became a member, I want to thank everyone for the help they've already given me just by providing an amazing repository of information. This forum has answered a ton of my questions already just by searching the site.

I've just dipped my toe in the waters with my first setup. I just got my Schiit Modi 2U/Magni 2U in the mail and am still waiting for my AKG K712 Pros to arrive. Already it's proven worth the investment. I hooked up my Bose QC35s to the Schiit Stack (via wired connection and ANC off, of course), downloaded a few FLAC versions of my favorite albums, and installed FOOBAR2000 with the WASAPI plugin, and WOW! Even with my QC35s, which are great for ANC but not necessarily audiophile quality sound, and it's still a huge difference! I've listened to some of these albums dozens and dozens of times and I'm hearing details I've never heard before. I can't WAIT to hear it with my K712s.

Now I'm already looking at portable DAC/amps, closed back headphones, and IEMs so that I can have great sound wherever I go. Between new gear and HDtracks.com I may go broke in a month!

But again, thanks to everyone who contibutes to this forum. It's been an enormous help!

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #4,954 of 15,538
  Hello all! Though I just became a member, I want to thank everyone for the help they've already given me just by providing an amazing repository of information. This forum has answered a ton of my questions already just by searching the site.

I've just dipped my toe in the waters with my first setup. I just got my Schiit Modi 2U/Magni 2U in the mail and am still waiting for my AKG K712 Pros to arrive. Already it's proven worth the investment. I hooked up my Bose QC35s to the Schiit Stack (via wired connection and ANC off, of course), downloaded a few FLAC versions of my favorite albums, and installed FOOBAR2000 with the WASAPI plugin, and WOW! Even with my QC35s, which are great for ANC but not necessarily audiophile quality sound, and it's still a huge difference! I've listened to some of these albums dozens and dozens of times and I'm hearing details I've never heard before. I can't WAIT to hear it with my K712s.

Now I'm already looking at portable DAC/amps, closed back headphones, and IEMs so that I can have great sound wherever I go. Between new gear and HDtracks.com I may go broke in a month!

But again, thanks to everyone who contibutes to this forum. It's been an enormous help!

Welcome to the addiction, and sorry about your wallet's impending weight loss, lol.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #4,955 of 15,538
Hey y'all! Long-time reader and first-time poster here. After salivating over the sale/trade portion of the forum this past week I decided to make the jump. A little about me if you're bored enough:

The audio bug first bit me when I bought a pair of CX400 IEMs using points from online surveys. Like everyone else, this launched me into a world of research, browsing, and daydreaming. I eventually purchased Senn HD598's and Phonak Audeo PFE132s (such a shame they've exited the market!) and have been using those happily these past few years. Now I'm feeling the itch again and like a kid at a water park, it looks like I'll be jumping down a steep and slippery slope. 

Please wish the best for my wallet and I will do the same for yours.

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #4,956 of 15,538
Hi Everyone. 
Its good to be here. 

My intro. Mostly I use reference monitors for adjusting levels. I have been using ATH-M30 for a long time, and I will justify getting a different one if this breaks. For adjusting levels it has been adequate. Issue is that it is not breaking, and the way it is going, it will probably out last my existence. 

With regards to in ear earphones, I have a growing collection, and the quest to find a good value addition continues. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #4,957 of 15,538
  Hi Everyone. 
Its good to be here. 

My intro. Mostly I use reference monitors for adjusting levels. I have been using ATH-M30 for a long time, and I will justify getting a different one if this breaks. For adjusting levels it has been adequate. Issue is that it is not breaking, and the way it is going, it will probably out last my existence. 

With regards to in ear earphones, I have a growing collection, and the quest to find a good value addition continues. 

Welcome to Head-fi. Hope you will find this forum useful.

By the way, which monitors do you use ?

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #4,958 of 15,538

Thanks.. 
As far as headphone goes (for reference), I use mostly the ATH-M30. 
The speakers I use are not for purpose of monitoring. At the moment I am stuck with Microlab SOLO 9C. A big beast, but little agility. I say stuck because, I would like to get rid of it. But at times when I feel like feeling the sound, like truly making the floor boards come loose, that is when its handy. To get a well balanced reference monitor at this power level is not a pocket friendly exercise. 
But most certainly I'll make changes with upgrade of my rig which is due this year.

See you around.. Smiles..

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #4,959 of 15,538

Thanks.. 
As far as headphone goes (for reference), I use mostly the ATH-M30. 
The speakers I use are not for purpose of monitoring. At the moment I am stuck with Microlab SOLO 9C. A big beast, but little agility. I say stuck because, I would like to get rid of it. But at times when I feel like feeling the sound, like truly making the floor boards come loose, that is when its handy. To get a well balanced reference monitor at this power level is not a pocket friendly exercise. 
But most certainly I'll make changes with upgrade of my rig which is due this year.

See you around.. Smiles..

I am very much interested in Active monitors.
I know nothing about music, but i own Genelec Monitors and Sub only for music listening purpose :)

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #4,960 of 15,538
  I am very much interested in Active monitors.
I know nothing about music, but i own Genelec Monitors and Sub only for music listening purpose :)

Well as far as music is concerned I play an instrument with much room for improvement, but have not needed to mix in about a decade and a half. Mostly, the levels that I monitor is for the videos that I make for my YouTube channel. For this purpose accuracy is more important than personal preference in sound profile. What I mean is that, to use music behind narration, the levels has to be different such that the music is audible as much as possible, without effecting the audibility of voice narration. Also, other artifacts are picked up better with monitors which is difficult with the regular speaker. 

As far as active monitors go. I was given an advise from an industry expert. He said that never pick a reference monitor unless you have heard it in person. If you place three good quality reference monitors side by side, you as an individual will like the sound of one over the other. If you know the model you want, you can shop around for better price or order online, etc. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #4,961 of 15,538
Good morning!
I'm from Italy, and I joined this forum because I've found it very reliable and professional, compared to italian forums where the few answers that you can obtain are on the 90% of cases based on advertising or blind passion for a brand.
Sorry for my english 
biggrin.gif
, I wish you a good day.

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #4,962 of 15,538
Hello everyone. I have been scouring this forum for many years and signed up last year. Well I am an audio engineer and a developer who develops VST's. I am from Queens New York. :)
My audiophile setup includes:

Soundcard: Juli@ XTe - PCI Express
Mixer: Mackie 402-VLZ3
Speakers: Yamaha HS50M
Headphones: Sennheisser HD 250 Linear, Sony MDR-V6, Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5, Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 , Inearz re-shelled Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, Inearz PRO 350
Cables: 3 Effect Audio cords for my ultimate ears.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,964 of 15,538
HI, i am Gabriel Holovate, from Brazil, i always visited the head fi and now I will be here.

in brazil is a very difficult to found a headphones like sennheiser or akg in a good prices, now i been here to purchase a new ones.

my equip

DAC: PARASOUND ZDAC V2
AMP: LOVELY CUBE
HEADPHONES: AKG K7XX WITH BLUE DRAGON CABLE V3 BY MOON AUDIO
                         HIFIMAN HE-400i

Sorry for my english!!!

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #4,965 of 15,538
Hello fellow audiophiles!

I go by HL, and this is a pretty cool site. I've been into home theater setups and have been building my own audio 'arsenal' since college at Baylor. I'm also an affluent saxophonist and gig around playing jazz, R&B, and some blues.

Some of my gear:

Recording:
Audio Technica PRO 35 Instrument mic
Cubase 7

Theater:
Pioneer VSX-90 paired with Cambridge SoundWorks speakers and a JBL Sub (DTS:X 5.1 setup)
Sony MDR HW700DS Surround Cans for those late night sessions (yes, they are the Japanese version)
Sony MDR 6000RF (my first introduction into surround sound, albeit virtual)

Phones:
Bose QC 2 for travel (first pair of actual headphones)
Turtle Beach XO Seven Pro for Gaming (they're...disappointing, although the mic does well for chat on Xbox Live)

I also sport:
A custom iPod Video 5th Gen with Tarkan's iFlash mod (using a 128 GB Samsung EVO - 80MB/s), mainly for use in the car
A stock 160GB iPod Classic 7th Gen that's hooked up to my MDR HW700DS for music around the house
A JVC KD-x320BTS audio receiver for my car.
Lenovo T550 PC
Lenovo T530 PC

I'm a tech junkie and I love tearing things apart. I've built several computers in the past, learned how to repair various woodwind instruments from a true master, and helped a great friend of mine set up his [insured] home theater after a lightning storm (long story) with top of the line Bowers & Wilkins gear in his den (7.1 config).

I'm glad to be on Head-Fi and I look forward to expanding both my knowledge of high-end audio equipment and my audio arsenal with some serious equipment.

-HL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back