New Member Introductions thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #4,921 of 15,539
Hi everyone,

I'm new here as well! I got interested in this just a month or 2 ago and have been trying to fill my brain with everything I can learn about the audiophile community! I just picked up a pair of Hifiman he-400 for an awesome price and a day later I saw the he-400i for a great deal on ebay brand new! Needless to say I ended up buying both (probably stupid of me). I also picked up a second and fiio e17 alpen 1 to go with them. Right now I also currently have the Sony MDR 1000x's as I'm waiting for the Hifimans to come in the mail (can't wait!!).

I do have a question if anyone can help me! I'm looking at a JDSLABS O2 amp (no ODAC) that second hand for also a very good deal and was wondering if I can run my e17 through it to use as a DAC and the O2 as the amp or do I need to specifically get a DAC/ODAC for it if I want the best quality possible for my setup?

Thanks in advance!!

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,922 of 15,539
Hey everyone!  Long time lurker but just recently signed up.  Super excited to be getting into higher-quality audio for PC and PS4, have been using some Skullcandy Plyr1's and Crushers but looking to step up to a Sound Blaster X7 and probably a ATH-M50x within a week or so.

...shameless plug - actually have a thread with questions about it - "Sound Blaster X7 - Mixer/output Question to BT-W2, PS4" in this same forum if you could spare a moment :)

Looking forward to being a part of the community - thanks!!

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4,923 of 15,539

I do have a question if anyone can help me! I'm looking at a JDSLABS O2 amp (no ODAC) that second hand for also a very good deal and was wondering if I can run my e17 through it to use as a DAC and the O2 as the amp or do I need to specifically get a DAC/ODAC for it if I want the best quality possible for my setup?

If you want the best possible sound, you could buy a dedicated DAC.  The sound you will get with a seperate DAC is probably noticeably better, but the difference between the ODAC and the on-board DAC on the FIIO makes it more logical to use the FIIO until you feel like buying a step-up rig.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #4,924 of 15,539
Hi everyone. I got interested in audio portable world about a year ago. Since then i had many setup and cans, because its about looking for the perfect setup up that fits to my taste is not easy. I like warmth sound like tube and good body in vocals and bass. I hope joining this forum can get a different perspectve to get my perfect setup

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,928 of 15,539
Hello everyone. I figured it was time to introduce myself to the Head-Fi community and express my appreciation for all of the intelligent and extensive (expensive) discussions that I have had the privilege of reading over the past two plus years.

I found my way to Head-Fi during the explosion of praise for the JVC HA-S500 (headphones which I have enjoyed thoroughly and still use during travel).  From the JVC's I migrated to Sennheiser HD-558's and the OG Magni/Modi Schiit stack.  The introduction to truly good sound quality through my pc was a revelation.  I quickly performed the foam removal mod to my 558's and was satisfied for a while, but more importantly was intrigued by the changing sound signature and increased reproduction of my music. 

Now, I may have remained satisfied if this site did not exist.  At the time I purchased the 558's I was pushing my budget for headphones considerably, and with the addition of the Schiit stack I was tapped, but satisfied.  My mistake was not forgetting about all of the in depth headphone reviews which I had been reading which made this site so appealing.  The ability to experience headphones through the reviews of "normal" people as well as experts in the field of audio has fostered an environment through this forum that is helpful in ways that I am not sure was ever originally conceived.  I have yet to read a thread that was outwardly ill willed or mean spirited (and I have read a lot of threads).  

Fast forward to today...today I am enjoying my music through the HD-650's that are being powered through a Jotunheim and Modi combination.  The musical revelations keep occurring as I have been able to increase my budget and make smart gear purchases. For a while I thought that the 650's would be all that I needed, but then I made that mistake again in not forgetting about this site and now I am looking for another upgrade.  

I have determined that although I still love the sound of my JVC HA-S500's, they are not comfortable for long listening sessions and I want to get higher fidelity sound while traveling. I purchased some momentum IE android monitors but find that my tolerance for IEM is not very high and have decided that they are going to be for phone calls only.  I have considered QC35's, and the Sony 1000's and have owned the QC25's  but find the need for charging headphones to be cumbersome (although going wireless would be nice) and have switched my thinking into some nice isolating (closed back) headphones and have my sites set on the PM-3's.  

Like I said, this forum is addicting.  I have tried to resist the GAS that afflicts many by occupying my time on the Spyderco forums (another great community) and dealing in the world of pocket knifes but I keep coming back to audio.  Well audio and coffee! 

I hope to be able to contribute to this great community as I delve deeper into the Head-Fi world, and look forward to reading about the next great products that will be must buys.

Keith

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #4,929 of 15,539
It appears the proper, if not just the best way to start here is an introduction. So here it goes. I am probably a little older than the average person who posts on this site (60 y/o) but I love music, especially high quality high resolution sound. I first started listening to music on an AM portable radio (yes just AM) and WLS Radio in Chicago. I was in a small town in NW Arkansas and this was the closest source for the music I perferred, Rock (now Classic Rock). Since then I have listened to music from Mono to Stereo to Quadrophonic to 5.1 Surround, all mostly analog until recently. I bought my first CD Player, a Sony, back in the early 1980's for ~$600.00. After writing that, it's hard to believe they were that expensive once. That was my first endeavor into the digital music format. As most, I have had moderate quality and priced receivers over the years. Since cell phones and MP3s have become the norm, I have not really tried to improve the quality of the reproduction of my music. Mainly because it is expensive having a family, not to mention time consuming. However, I really have missed not having high quality sound so I am starting to delve in improving my options. I believe I am going start by ordering the FiiO A5 AMP for my phone and tablet to use with my 1MORE triple driver in-ear phohes. Then I am looking to purchase a portable high resolution music player in the next few months after trying the FiiO A5. I am considering the FiiO X5 3rd generation player when it is availible and some personal reviews are posted. I am looking at the MEE Pinnacle in-ear phones to purchase to use with it. I believe I also need to find a high quality 2.5mm balance in-ear phones but I do not know which would be the best.

Well, that's more than I planed to post but what can I say. After I get some caffeine in me I have a tendency to babble online. At least according to my wife. Also, any and all suggestions on hi-res players and 2.5mm balanced ear-phones will be greatly appreciated!!
Shawn

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,930 of 15,539
I have been reading Head-Fi for about two years now and finally decided to join. I have slowly been getting into headphones for 2 years. I just sold my 10k stereo system due to moving, and not wanting to be restricted to paying for more space than I need. I have purchased several pairs of headphones and will be auditioning them over the next few months to decide on my primary setup. I already have a Chord Mojo and Audeze EL-8 CB cans. Don't plan on replacing the Mojo anytime soon, but I wanted to see what else is out there when it comes to headphones. The only headphones that I really have experience with are the Sennheiser Momentums and the EL-8 CB. By the time I get past the new member rules, I'll be ready to post some impressions.

John

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #4,931 of 15,539
David G (David Goodman) New guy on the site. High End Two Channel guy with a new used Melos SHA Gold Reference tubed headphone pre. I have Grado 1000 head phones and will be looking for help in getting my Melos preamp modified for performance and reliability.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #4,932 of 15,539
Hi guys,

New to Head-Fi but not the other audio forums. Work away from home and have been looking into upgrading my portable setup and found a load of good threads (and varying opinions :D) on here. Great site, look forward to spending more time on it.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #4,933 of 15,539
G'day I'm Steve O from Brisbane Australia.

Excited to find head-fi forums.

I'm running a fii0 e18 into jbl synchros s700. Source varies, mostly my HTC m9. BEAUTIFUL SOUND.

Need help with a confusing problem plz ppls: often when switching on e18 the HTC will drop all volumes, switch on do not disturb mode and not allow me to lock the screen?

Screen will lock automatically as per settings just not by the lock button?

Does anyone else experience this? Could anyone explain why?

Thank you.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #4,934 of 15,539
Hi Everyone,

Another new member here! Just got my first audiophile headphones HD6XX and well deserved Chord Mojo.
I am excited about making a contribution in this forum and looking forward to connect with fellow friends.
Thanks.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #4,935 of 15,539
Hi,

Just a tad late to the forum having searched through the Head-Fi reviews and bought the 2003 - DT880's not long after their release (thanks Head-Fi). They've served well over the years and now need to be gracefully retired with something newer and much less damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back