New Member Introductions thread
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #4,891 of 15,595
Hi everyone,

Been reading posts for quiet sometime and decide to join the community.

Based in Jakarta, just started into audiophiles and getting decent equipment to enjoy music to the fullest.

Hope we can share alot of info and opinion here!

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #4,892 of 15,595
Hey everyone.

Already made a couple posts, but thought I'd give a proper introduction here. I'm a recent college graduate with a Bachelors in Music Production. Music has always been a part of me, playing drums from age 10 and now taking that with my degree into the real world, with running sound at a church and playing various gigs/studio sessions (being professional for around 5 years now). I've always been into audio, because of my passion of music, but never really delved deep into the audiophile world.

My first pair of of decent quality headphones was back in my late years of high school and early years of college with Sennheiser HD380 Pro's. They worked well for what I needed, as I could use them to work in the MIDI/studio lab at school and then use them on stage. Then one day, one of my professors who has gear packed in every single room of his house introduced me to Grado. I loved those and decided to sell my Senn's for the Grado SR80's. Ever since then I've been using them, for the better part of 3 years. Sadly, earlier this month, the cord broke on those. I used to know how to solder back in high school, but without a kit I wouldn't be able to attempt it, but I thought as well it would be time to finally get myself a good audio rig for mixing and listening.

With my other gear, I've been using a Steinberg UR44 for the last 2 years for tracking and mixing with the line outs and headphone outs. It's been ok, sending the line outs to a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5's. They do an ok job, primarily because I don't have space for a larger pair. Figured later on they would be good secondary reference monitors for my mixes. Also, since I sold my 380 Pro's, decided to get Shure SE215's for live use. Love those.

Now onto what will become my current set-up. Just ordered Sennheiser HD600's for my main set of headphones. They'll be a huge leap from what I had and will serve me for a very long time. Then coming in the next few weeks, I'll be ordering the Schiit Stack because 1) I love american made products 2) it'll be a step up from my Steinberg 3) I can keep my Steinberg in my tracking room with my drums and leave my mic's plugged in, which in turn is less of a hassle to unplug stuff and transport and what-not. Just more convenient. 

I also must say, I enjoy reading and learning stuff, so a lot of my time will probably be spent just scrolling through pages and pages of information on here.

Cheers!

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,893 of 15,595
Hello everyone,  
I am a new member who's been reading as much here as I can.  I am definitely impressed with the knowledge on this forum and need some advice.  Was an audiophile years ago with some nice equipment but other things became a priority so I got away from it.  (I still have a pair of old Stax electrostatic headphones.)  I own a pair of UE-2s earbuds from a few years back, which are OK.  I don't find them very comfortable so I don't use them much.  I am looking for decent wireless earbuds with either noise cancellation or good isolation, something I can also use on a flight from time to time.  

I recently bought a set of Bose QuietControl 30s to try out.  I am not normally a Bose fan.  I have found their home equipment to be poor and am forced to live with their mediocre sound systems in 2 of our cars.  However their earbuds have gotten good reviews so I tried them.  Having listened to them a bit, I find them to be OK, with not very impressive deep bass and somewhat muddy mid bass.  Also, they don't seem very sensitive playing through an iPhone.  However they are extremely comfortable to wear for long periods of time, which is a big plus.  

My question is, what would you recommend instead of the Bose.  I am not a fan of deep canal earbuds which I find uncomfortable, so I prefer the outer canal style similar to Bose.  I prefer buds to headphones for ease of carry and am trying to avoid customs due to the crazy costs.  I may be asking for too much here and if so I am sure you guys will tell me.  Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #4,896 of 15,595
Hello, new member. longtime reader, thanks to head-fi enjoying my first serious dedicated audio setup.
-Alex

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #4,901 of 15,595
Hi,
Just joined after an unexpected urge to buy earphones took hold of me a few weeks ago. My kit is still fairly basic: I'm using an old Samsung Galaxy with a Fiio A1 and currently have Soundmagic E80, RHA 600 and Rockjaw Alpha Genus IEMs with a pair of the new Trinity Audio Vyrus V2 on pre-order. I'm especially interested in UK kickstarter type brands so interested to hear any suggestions of what to look for.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #4,902 of 15,595
Hi all,

I recently joined and I am about to get my first pair of good headphones (great deal from another member here) and I am really excited to test them out. looking forward to starting to identify differences in sound that I keep ready about. Lots of great information on here, but reading reviews sometimes people have the exact opposite opinions on the sound and it will be fun to hear these differences myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back