New Member Introductions thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,876 of 15,649
Just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for all of the great advice on the site.  Long time lurker finally committing to join.  I love it on the site but my wife and pocketbook don't...hence the reluctance to commit.  Anyway, thanks...looking forward to more great advice.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #4,880 of 15,649
Hi!
I'm new here. I'm not really a audiophile enthusiast but I have owned quite a few mid-price-range headphones/earbuds.
I play computer games a lot, and I have always been seeking a perfect solution for  a headset.
I'm here to seek some recommendations.
Thanks.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #4,882 of 15,649
Hi all, new here. Doing hifi high end etc for approx 30 years now. Oops, already posted replies before redaing this. Oh well might have to do it again then..... Only wanted to give the big thumbs up for the MHDT labs Canary DAC>

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,883 of 15,649
Hey everyone!  Technically, this is my second post here.  (I had to contribute to the thread about MiniDisc's 25 years in existence.)  I typically use Sony's MDR-7506 headphones, as it's an industry standard and I'm a film/video editor.  My interest here is primarily in high-end music recordings (flac files, SACD, Blu-ray Audio, DVD Audio) and portable players that can handle flac files.  I was a contributor to Pono when it was on Kickstarter, and I've been using a Neil Young & Crazy Horse signature edition version of that player.  I LOVE the sound quality of that player and can hear the distinct jump in quality between 48/24 and 96/24, but the benefit of 192/24 is a bit less for me.  I do have some tinnitus going on.

In the last month, my Pono has gone missing, and although my iPhone holds up for casual listening, I'm missing "getting really into the music."  After being introduced to high-resolution music through flac files, I've begun re-discovering music and falling back in love with albums the way I did when I first discovered a new artist or album that really resonated with me in my younger years.  I've started looking into the new Fiio X5 Generation 3 player that's a couple of months away, and if the Pono doesn't show up before then, I may spring for it.  I haven't stopped collecting high-end music in aticipation of being able to play it on the go again.

My taste is mostly in rock, though I do have some classical, classic R&B and other genres mixed in.  My go-to album is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, but my reference track that I share with friends not familiar with high-res audio is "Tonight's the Night" by Rod Stewart in 192/24.  That acoustic guitar rings through like you're sitting next to it!

~Steve

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #4,884 of 15,649
Hello!  GuddoggEli here.  I am a retired Civil Engineer.  I am a long time member of Antique Radio Forum, so I have a basic knowledge of circuitry, some specialized gear and a load of antique radios in various stages of disrepair.  I'm here to learn the art and science of high fidelity audio...oh, and to pick members' brains.  I have read posts for reference, and it appears there is a lot of knowledge here.  Thank you for letting me join in.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #4,885 of 15,649
Hello!  GuddoggEli here.  I am a retired Civil Engineer.  I am a long time member of Antique Radio Forums.  I have a basic understanding of circuits, some specialized tools and equipment, and a whole pile of antique radios in various stages of disrepair...but I'm distinctly lacking in a modern understanding of high fidelity equipment.  The last item I hope to get a schooling from you guys.  Yes, of course, i have a series of questions, which I plan to ask in future posts.  As a warning, I'll list a few here:

1)  I have an iPod Touch Gen 4 and a Sony NWZ-S544 for casual listening to mp3 music.  They are fairly strong on functionality, but lack of ability to play lossless files seems to be a fatal flaw.  Is there a cheap, small digital audio player that plays at least a couple lossless formats?  What would you suggest?

2)  And, I will be needing a new library.  What is recommended for the format?  What is a good cost-effective source for lossless files?  (I would be willing to rip some files from physical sources, if that is a reasonable option.)

3)  I have a need for a headphone amp.  I found an older Little Dot MT from an audiophile who claims it was treated gently.  Even so, the micro tubes may be exhibiting degradation.  Does anyone have any experience rolling the 6N16B-Q?  Just curious, how is that hybrid amp regarded?

4)  The O2-ODAC in various forms seem highly regarded.  Mayflower offers a kit with the option of rear-mounted power port.  Any thoughts?  Most of my experience is with point-to-point circuitry.  Is this something I could comfortably do?

5)  With a decent digital audio player, a decent DAC, a decent amp, and some software in lossless format, my next "need" is a decent set of IEMs.  You can tell I'm cheap, so I'd like some suggestions as to a "decent" set of IEMs for...say...$150 or less.  I will listen to arguments for higher priced ones, though"

So, "Howdy" and are you regretting letting me in yet?

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #4,886 of 15,649
  Hello!  GuddoggEli here.  I am a retired Civil Engineer.  I am a long time member of Antique Radio Forum, so I have a basic knowledge of circuitry, some specialized gear and a load of antique radios in various stages of disrepair.  I'm here to learn the art and science of high fidelity audio...oh, and to pick members' brains.  I have read posts for reference, and it appears there is a lot of knowledge here.  Thank you for letting me join in.

Welcome buddy :)
Now start saving a lot money, cause you will loose all those money very soon as you have joined this forum.

Now, coming to your queries.
1st you need to specify which kind of sound you enjoy ? That's most important part. Is it

1. Pure neutral sound
2. Neutral with a little bass bump
3. Neutral but warm
4. Do you love mids/ lows/ highs ? Any preference..!!
5. Do you like huge soundstage or imaging ?
6. Instrument separation is priority for you ?

So many attributes are there. Else you will go round and round and will spend money but will never get satisfied.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #4,887 of 15,649
Hello,

New here on the forums. Last 3 years I have moved across the states from Utah to Wisconsin, then from Wisconsin to Connecticut, from Connecticut to Iowa. I use to have tons of hi end home audio, but got tired of moving it, plus dealing with all the wear and tear to my gear. So I have made the venture into investing in portable gear for a change. So, I came across this site and found it very informative. So. We'll see how it goes.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4,888 of 15,649
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to these forums. I'm an audio engineer from NJ, or at least I'm trying to be haha. I also sing and play guitar. I love headphones, though I haven't had the opportunity to listen to many high quality headphones. The most expensive pair I own are the AKG k240s. Although I hope to be buying the HD650s soon. End game is HD800s but I'm sure it won't stop there. I also need a good amp and DAC. I guess my main DAC would be my Steinberg UR22 audio interface. Not sure how that compares to anything else. 

Hopefully I'll get to a meet soon so I can listen to some actual headphones haha. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #4,889 of 15,649
Hello, music4mhell, nice to be here.

As to the type of sound I enjoy, I'm fairly tolerant.  I'm not a "basshead", but since I listen mostly to classic rock (and "harder alternative) a bass bump is sometimes wanted.  I'd say "neutral but warm" is closest, but one of the things I am currently missing is indeed "soundstage".  (It seems compressed soundstage is the bane of digitally stored music in compressed format.)  And to further confuse you, I like some tracks ("Low Spark of High Heel Boys" by S. Winwood) particularly for picking out the separate lines of bassist and guitarist.  And...yes, "and"...I can definitely say I want to hear taut bass from drums.  I'm sorry for being all over the board, but on the other hand, almost anything you can suggest will be helpful.

Seriously, thank you!

Quote:
  Welcome buddy :)
Now start saving a lot money, cause you will loose all those money very soon as you have joined this forum.

<whimper>  OK  <siniffle...sniffle>

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #4,890 of 15,649
Hi everyone! I'm a 20 year old prog music lover and bass player from Italy :)
I'm looking for a new pair of earphones and it looks like I'm asking for the holy grail according to what I've read so far. But I'm trustful that your knowledge and experience will help me in my quest xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back