New Member Introductions thread
Jun 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #3,811 of 15,646
Hi. I have been browsing through this website for a while now and finally decided to jump into the world of amazing audio. I am from the SF Bay Area and recently bought an Audeze LCD 2 and also a Schiit Audio Asgard 2 to go with it. I also have a Kenwood KR 9400 Vintage receiver coupled with a Technics equalizer. So far the sound coming from the Kenwood is far better than that what I get out of the Asgard 2.

I saw that there is going to be a meet in SF. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it. Will be writing about my LCD 2s on the main forum as well as I have a bunch of questions.

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #3,812 of 15,646
  Hey all, I'm a long time lurker of this forum but I thought it high time I come out of the shadows and introduce myself

I'm a 20 year old student, which is basically "I'm broke" in ~376 different languages. This sucks as I've fallen into the trap of searching for high quality audio ever since trying on a bunch of cans at a local store. I always heard lots about the Beats hype back in the day and one day decided to give a go but was very disappointed by the muddy sound that they were firing at my poor ear drums. I tried on a bunch of other headphones that day (a long enough time ago for me not to remember which cans) and was blown away by how clear the music tracks that I once listened to on cheap £10 IEMs could sound.

Now that I've had enough of my budget cans I'm really looking at getting into the audio game and sacrificing my (basically already empty) wallet. I'm sure all of you audiophiles have been through this stage before, but I'm now faced with the dilemma of purchasing a pair of "entry level" headphones, and I swear I have never been more lost in my life. People recommend the M50Xs, but then say HD598s are good to get your head through the door, but then other people say that you should get a pair of SHP9500s or Grados etc etc etc. Yeah, very confusing. So as well as this being my "Hello fellow humans" post, it's also a cry for help because I don't know what to buy!

Anyway, look forward to seeing you guys elsewhere on the forums! 

From my POV, you have to consider the type of music you will listen to and whether you want lows, mids or highs or a combination. Based on this, you then research the cans that reviewers state give you your preference and then work through your budget to find one that best fits, including how you will use them (comfort for long periods of listening, cable if your always sat near to the source etc). If you can get a list down to 2 or 3, then if possible go and test them out. But patience when working with a limited budget is required lol.

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,813 of 15,646
Hi, I'm David. I'm happy to join this community. I've been reading the forum posts for a few months and have jumped into the headphone fray with a couple purchases. Looking forward to sharing views and recommendations. I am not a sound engineer, but I know what I like.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,814 of 15,646
hi everyone im new here, hoping to get great advice from the headfiers!

im more into portability now and heard that the Woo Audio WA8 tube portable amp/dac is quite good for the price, any opinions on that?

Seen many reviews, including on this forum, of many happy users. Usually tube amps, depending on what you roll, can definitely be a rabbits hole when it comes to the sound difference. Just make sure it is within range of headphones for impedance.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #3,815 of 15,646
Hello everybody. I have the typical story of being a long time reader who has finally decided to make an account. I look forward to many more years of readership and participation.

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #3,817 of 15,646
Hello everybody 

I joined this forum to get some tips about headphones and dedicated stuff. My current equipment is composed of Acoustic Research AR-M2 DAP and Forza audio works Noir Hybrid HPC cable linked to Audeze LCD-X headphones. I look forward to being part of discussions. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,819 of 15,646
Hi,

My name is John and I've been a lurker on this site for a while now.  I started to get into audio when I built my first computer about a year ago, and I did a lot of research here in order to find a good sound card and pair of over-ear headphones.  Ever since I bought some better equipment, I've started to enjoy my music infinitely more and therefore listen to even more music.  I'm excited to keep learning from you guys!

John

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,824 of 15,646
Hi, I'm Glynn. I listen to headphones quite a bit so not to disturb the family!
I'm currently using senhiesser hd600 with uprated kimber cable, via Shiit magni (with linear power supply and neotech mains cable), naim dac v1, inious zen NAS, oyaide silver sub, Ifi ipurifier2, kimber KCAG interconnect.
I have just ordered a Nuforce NA200 headphone amp! Headphones next as mine are 16 years old.
Happy listening!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back