New Member Introductions thread
May 4, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #3,586 of 15,539
Sup people. I'm honestly on this site because I'm thinking about buying some headphones, an amp and a DAC. I am a complete beginner and don't really know who to ask or even what to ask specifically. because I've heard good things about the site and also the people who are within the community I came here. So far I'm looking into buying the better dynamics dt990 and the maybe for the amp and DAC I will be buying from the company called shiit. Mostly because of the price. If u guys think it's a good idea or not I'd appreciate it if you guys could shoot me a message!

May 4, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3,587 of 15,539
Sup people. I'm honestly on this site because I'm thinking about buying some headphones, an amp and a DAC. I am a complete beginner and don't really know who to ask or even what to ask specifically. because I've heard good things about the site and also the people who are within the community I came here. So far I'm looking into buying the better dynamics dt990 and the maybe for the amp and DAC I will be buying from the company called shiit. Mostly because of the price. If u guys think it's a good idea or not I'd appreciate it if you guys could shoot me a message!

DT990s and a Schiit stack is a great idea for a first setup :)

May 4, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,588 of 15,539
Cool!! I'm still a little confused though. When I looked up the shiit products they start talking about all the features and I barely understood any of it. So, I can just plug those into my laptop and they will work fine?

May 4, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #3,589 of 15,539
Cool!! I'm still a little confused though. When I looked up the shiit products they start talking about all the features and I barely understood any of it. So, I can just plug those into my laptop and they will work fine?

You need two in particular for a complete setup. What people call "the Schiit stack" is a Modi 2 and a Magni 2 run together.

The Modi 2 is your DAC. That's what you plug into your computer via USB. It works like an external sound card, taking the digital output and converting it to an analog, line-level signal for amplifiers and powered speakers. For some OS's, it's plug and play, while others need drivers, which Schiit provides and are easy to install.

The Magni 2 is your amplifier. It takes the signal from the DAC and pumps it through your headphones just the way they like it. You simply run the RCA out from the Modi to the RCA in on the Magni. Plug your headphones into the front of the Magni and enjoy.

So... laptop > Modi 2 > Magni 2 > Headphones

Just something worth considering... ...if you want to feed the signal from the DAC to your speakers as well (which will sound better than your laptop's output,) then you might want to consider the Magni 2 Uber for a little more. It has a line out for speakers. Of course a cheaper option is just to get an RCA splitter for the Modi, but you won't have volume control for your speakers.

Beyer DT-990's get my vote, as well. I love the sound of mine and they're super-comfortable. Can't speak for the Magni 2, but the Modi 2 is a great DAC for the money.

May 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #3,590 of 15,539
I am new the headfi, roughly new to Hifi audio. All of what I used to deal with was car audio not personal.

Quote:
  Welcome to Head-Fi!

I'd say "Sorry for your wallet" but it seems you know that already. 
biggrin.gif

I am finding this out very fast. Luckily even just starting in the Hifi world I have managed to scoop up some decent deals. I put together a pretty cheap set up. I have the Asus Xonar STX Essence, Sennheiser HD555, and Schiit Asgard. Set me back $350. I just picked up a pair of Beyerdynaic DT 990 Pro 250 and they are on the way. Now I want to push into the HiFiMan HE-400 or HE-400I

May 4, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #3,593 of 15,539
Thanks guys! Another question, what did your first set up look like

My first upgrade was a USB Nuforce DAC/amp plugged into my computer then into the Bose computer speakers.  Made a huge difference in the sound, and the $100 purchase forever convinced me I could hear better sound than just from the computer.  

Next - Schiit Bifrost / Asgard2.  Never looked back.  LOL.

Good question!

May 4, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #3,594 of 15,539
Christ I hate introductions.. I started with a Little Dot I+ and a pair of AKG 702s. Did some minimal tube rolling, and then moved to a Chord Mojo which is pretty much end-game for all DAC intents and purposes. Got the Fostex T50RP mk3s today and may this hobby empty my wallet for years to come :wink:

May 4, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,595 of 15,539
Hello there everyone, recently got into Hi-fi about a year ago and its quickly spiraled into myself picking up a Schiit stack 2 and I have some LCD-2's on the way to pair them with, currently using some HD-598's. I'm excited about the new set coming in I have a feeling that I'll be picking up a few addons for the set but I should be set for sometime, I hope.

May 4, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,596 of 15,539
Hello all,

Just joined. Long time audiophile. Just getting into the headphone game. Looking to get a DAC to use with an iPhone 6s and HiFi-Man HE-350s and ATH M50x. I'll search around site. if anyone has suggestions I'm open for ideas. Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #3,599 of 15,539
Hi There,

Returning headfi user from a good 10 years ago. Currently looking for a mid level pair of IEM for my LG G4 smartphone. Looking to learn a bit more about how to describe sound and what it actually sounds like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back