New Member Introductions thread
Apr 26, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,526 of 15,646
Hello new here :) been reading reviews for years but never registered.

At the moment using an Audio Technica ATH-A700X to listen to my music but I prefer my Sennheiser over it.

DAC's: Lead Audio LA-100, Rotel RA-11.

Modding my Sennheiser HD 595 to a detachable cable and 3D printing a whole new housing since the old one has some cracks in it after 10 years of abuse.

Looking for some tips on what connectors and cables to use without spending extreme amounts of money. And how far can I go with modding it looks wise before it would influence the sound. I wan't to print the complete outer housing to own design if possible of course it will remain an open headphone but it will get an integrated mic, detachable cables a design that matches the Rotel RA-11 design.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #3,529 of 15,646
  Hello new here :) been reading reviews for years but never registered.

At the moment using an Audio Technica ATH-A700X to listen to my music but I prefer my Sennheiser over it.

DAC's: Lead Audio LA-100, Rotel RA-11.

Modding my Sennheiser HD 595 to a detachable cable and 3D printing a whole new housing since the old one has some cracks in it after 10 years of abuse.

Looking for some tips on what connectors and cables to use without spending extreme amounts of money. And how far can I go with modding it looks wise before it would influence the sound. I wan't to print the complete outer housing to own design if possible of course it will remain an open headphone but it will get an integrated mic, detachable cables a design that matches the Rotel RA-11 design.

Welcome. WOW! That sounds like a big project, looking forward to seeing the results :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #3,532 of 15,646
Hey all,
New around the forums. I've owned some HD 598s for a while and have used them for my interface/computer when recording my drums. Getting more into getting a good setup for my desktop. I'm a highly competitive gamer and love music. Just bought a pair of HD 650s from the classifieds and looking to get a DAC/AMP combo soon.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #3,533 of 15,646
Hey Turbii,

I'm a gamer too and I've been using the Apogee Groove for a few weeks now.  From my experience, I can tell you that the Groove makes in game audio sound a little more real and visceral.  I'm currently playing Battlefront now and for the first few hours of using the Groove, I would twitch or reflexively turn my heard toward a nearby blast or rustling on the ground.  Definitely give them a try!

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #3,534 of 15,646
For a DAC/AMP, CHECK OUT SCHIIT, AMERICAN MADE FROM MAINLY USA COMPONENTS. CANNOT FIND ANYTHING CLOSE FOR THE MONEY. I OWN A VAHALLA 2 ALL TUBE HEADPHONE AMP. OUTSTANDING CLEARITY WITH VIRTUALLY HUM FREE PERFORMANCE. THIS IS AN OTL AMP. I RUN ALL OF MY SOUND THROUGHT IT, TV, CD, BLUERAY, FM, ETC. I HAVE IT INSTALLED BETWEEN THE RECEIVERS SEPERABLE AMP AND PREAMP, THEN MY JVC SEA7 GRAPHIC. THE SCHIIT DAC'S ARE RENOUNED FOR THEIR PERFORMANCE TO COST RATIO. OUSTANDING AND AMERICAN MADE, 5 YEAR WARRANTY.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #3,535 of 15,646
Check out Schiit for a DAC. Aamerican made, nothing close in build quality or component quality for the money. I own one of their Vahalla 2 all tube headphone amps for two years now and love it. American comany, components ant manufacture. Nothing close for the money. 5 year warranty too. Welcome to head-fi.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #3,537 of 15,646
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty much set on a Schiit product for a DAC. Seems like you can't beat the performance for the price. I've heard with their DAC/Amp combos that you can't have 2 audio sources at once, which I'm assuming is kind of a universal thing. I was hoping to hook my xbox one up to the setup and be able to hear my xbox and PC sound at the same time so I can talk through voice applications.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,539 of 15,646
You'll need the schiit modi 2 uber if you want multiple inputs.

To my understanding, if I were to use the Modi 2 Uber and have it connected to both my PC and Xbox, I can only listen to one input at a time. Do you know if that's correct? If so, do you know of how I can work around that or a device that allows me to do so? Thank you!

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #3,540 of 15,646
Check out Schiit for a DAC. Aamerican made, nothing close in build quality or component quality for the money. I own one of their Vahalla 2 all tube headphone amps for two years now and love it. American comany, components ant manufacture. Nothing close for the money. 5 year warranty too. Welcome to head-fi.

Hi All,
FWIW, I agree with these comments about the Schiit equipment.  I've owned several of their products, still use the Gungnir MB every day, and I am impressed.  The GMB is a killer DAC.  The Yggy is in my future.  Schiit offers many entry-level components that are a great value for new Head-Fiers!  Check them out...

http://schiit.com/home

And, oh yea, welcome to Head-Fi.  Enjoy your music!

Best -
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back