New Member Introductions thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #2,926 of 15,594
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the world of headphones and high-quality audio equipment. I've been a classical musician for most of my life, so I like to think I've developed a discerning ear of the years.

Like many of you, I stumbled upon this forum looking for a better value/upgrade to my old headphones, thinking that I would perhaps get a pair of Audio Technica m50x's. Then I learned about things like soundstage, which introduced me to brands like AKG and higher end Sennheisers. Then it was amps and DAC's. Then it was orthodynamic headphones. Before I knew it, I had a pair of LCD-2's and a Grace m9xx. This hobby is seriously a slippery slope!

I think I'm all set for a long while (that's what we all say I'm sure :p), but I really look forward to learning more about the audiophile hobby and community and learning how to better describe what I am hearing and putting these thoughts into words.

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #2,927 of 15,594
hi all, have been a headphone user since 1997 when I got my first Sennheiser's. Ever since then I've been dabbling in IEMs from Shure and Nuforce. Mostly listen to pop and classical. Joined HeadFi to find my next IEMs and been hearing good things about Alpha & Delta from Lend Me UR ears

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,928 of 15,594
Hello everyone,

My name is Nick and I am new to the Hi-Fi world. Today I made my first two cables and am excited to post them in the DIY Cable Gallary. I really want to get a pair of some AKG headphones. Hopefully this community can help me on my search for the perfect headphone.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,929 of 15,594
Greetings,

Lurker on Head-Fi for years, mostly due to the incredibly helpful IEM advice. Great to see the community growing and strong as ever. I’m a librarian, I live in the Research Triangle not far from Duke University.

Equipment:
Players: OnePlus One, Nexus 7
IEMs: I have some Shures, Brainwavz, MEEE.
Headphones: Lately, much more comfortable with headphones, and am currently enjoying my V-Moda XS and (especially) some new Fostex T50RP Mkiii. Bose QC25 for air travel
Amps: Currently looking to upgrade my amp (Nexus 7 tablet REALLY needs it), although I have a Massdrop O2 and an EA PA2V2.

Thanks in advance for the good conversation and advice I’m sure we will be continuing to share.

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,931 of 15,594
Hello,

I'm new here. Just received a pair of AKG K7XX and considering some HD650's next and a Schiit Vali 2 amp. I enjoy reading through the forums learning about the options out there. Thanks to everyone who posts and provides insight into this exciting hobby!

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,932 of 15,594
Dec 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,933 of 15,594
My name is Kevin and as my user name suggests......I am a full fledged road warrior. Stumbled across this forum a while back and decided to join the fun. I am a SQ nut and a bit of a DIY'er. Long time.....well since the mid eighties......car audio addict, but changed jobs a year ago and racked up better that 200,000 frequent flyer miles since. Portable audio is now a very important aspect in my life and this place gives me lot's of insight as to what is out there. Currently using a iPod (5th gen) modified with a SDXC card and expanded to 256 gigs. Hi guys, thanks for having me.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #2,935 of 15,594
Hi, My name is George. i'm in Thailand 3rd world country. them doesn't have much budget to buy a high performance stuff. i want to read an review in budget headphone earphone or hi-fi speaker. The most expensive earphone that i ever bought is cost around 70$. I have my point to go on is budget earphone. please advice me. And now i want to know more about what is sound frequency or how to adjust equalizer because i don't know anything about its. 

Thank you

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #2,936 of 15,594
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd say hello. I've been more of a music fan and just started taking an interest in higher end audio equipment. Just ditched the old iPod I've moved to the iBasso DX80. Using this with a pair of Audio Technica M40x headphones (prefer these to the M50x's).

The Mrs is already worried that this hobby may get a little expensive!  

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,937 of 15,594
Pono is best of bunch except it does not have coaxial out.  So the Fiio's are used as music sources and the Pono for walk around.  Its SQ is best by good margin and with balanced cables does well with EL-8s otherwise the HD 600s are good, better when feed to an el12.  Have been burning in a Yggdrasil and was pleased with the way the Pono held up in comparison (the Yggy has a ways to go before maxing out). Actually like Pono so much I have considered buying second unit as backup should it appear they are getting in financial trouble.   

gl taxiq

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,938 of 15,594
Salutations!
I've lurked this place off and on for years, but I've only now gotten around to signing up. I've used this site and its helpful members to make some educated purchases. I'm almost exclusively devoted to portable listening, especially with a very minimal footprint. After much experimentation, I've settled on Sennheiser PX100-ii going into my Sansa Clip+ with Rockbox. I'm a sucker for that darker sound to the headphones and adore the small footprint of both the phones and DAP.

-Steve from NL, Canada

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,939 of 15,594
Hey Everyone!

Long time watcher, first time poster. By observing I've found some great information which ultimately led me to making an informed decision with my headphone/amp/DAC. With my experience overtime I hope to contribute to this place like many others have.

I currently have the following on the way and looking forward to venturing in the world of an audiophile
- Sennheiser HD600
- SMSL M8 DAC
- Undecided still but have my heart set on the Objective2 Headphone Amp and currently just trying to find a good deal. Hoping to go with a Mayflower as they have extremely good customer service in comparison to some others who reference the o2 build.

My set up will primarily be running through Optical to retain Surround Sound from my SB-Z (Zx model) which will serve perfectly for games, and also allow me to utilise it on my TV for quiet viewing at night. As the DAC I'm getting is capable of pushing some pretty good quality when using the USB, I would most likely be switching back and forth depending on movies/music/games.

My background has always been in IT, and I currently work as Systems Administrator looking after my company's Infrastructure (Servers, Storage, etc.). The world of an audiophile is pretty new to me and as mentioned earlier I hope to learn a lot and then contribute back to this community :)

Hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas (those who celebrate) & wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

-Jake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back