New Member Introductions thread
Dec 21, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #2,896 of 15,646
Hey all, my name is Jeremiah and I'm just getting into all this headphone business. When I had realized I fell for typical marketing ploy by buying a pair of 7.1 "surround" headphones I was dis-trot. I ended up hear at Head-fi looking at reviews. Now I peruse the forums here regularly for new info, tips, etc...

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2,898 of 15,646
Hey all. New member. I found this forum after ordering a new pair of headphones and a DAC/amp. I know, backwards right? The original plan was a new set of speakers and AV amp for my house, but a discussion with my wife re "noise" and a hard look at my bank account and lifestyle convinced me a new pair of headphones was a much better idea.

The last time I seriously looked at audio equipment was 25 years ago when I had a huge collection of CDs and LPs. My stereo + speakers weighed at least a three hundred pounds.

That's not how I listen to music anymore- usually it's with headphones and walking the dog is my favorite time to do so. Over the years I've owned quite a few headphones / earbuds. The absolute best sound of all of them was a pair of etymotics driven by a cheap headphone amp and sourced from a player which could manage Ogg Vorbis files. It sounded great but there were some problems- (1) I rarely manage to go for more than 6 months before I lose earbuds. The etymotics are long gone, probably left on an airplane. (2) My OGG player is so old that it actually uses a hard drive and can't store very much of my old digitized collection. Battery life at this point is measured in seconds. (3) my iPhone is way more convenient to carry around and I can stream music to it, which is fantastic except the sound quality is unimpressive. Over the years convenience has taken precedence over performance (cheap earbuds so when I lose them it doesn't cost much) and iTunes because it's there already on my phone.

What changed? I found my old Bithead headphone amp and my old Sennheiser HD497s. The sound was so much better than what I've been listening to that I sat there entranced for about 1/2 hour. Then something popped in the amp and I lost the left channel.

So, I decided if I was going to go for best quality headphone sound that I could reasonably afford, it would require the following:

Audio source: I needed something fairly low loss but able to fit within the crowded memory of my iPhone. Streaming is really the only option here. Luckily I found Tidal, which is capable of streaming very high quality sound.

DA conversion: The iPhone headphone out isn't bad, but running from the iPhone through my old Bithead amp to the HD497s was much better (until it fried) so I figured a DAC/amp would probably be worth it if it could make that much difference in an inexpensive pair of phones. I picked a Teac HA P-50 DAC / amp because it would work with the Lightning port on the phone and seems to have all the right stuff. At $200 I probably could have skipped it / gone cheaper, but I guess the reviews sucked me in.

Transducers: The HD497s sound actually very good but the 10 foot cable is a PITA and was starting to go. Also they look stupid as hell when walking in public. Reading a lot of reviews suggested I could improve the sound and looks a lot if I stepped up to around $200 and so Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones.

Anyway, I suspect I'll soon be looking at tube amps and even more expensive phones, so hello!

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,899 of 15,646
Hi everyone,

I've always been on head-fi from a distance but figured I would join and get involved to learn more about audio! I'm pretty amateur in my setup but looking for an upgrade soon - running with a GR06 and Fiio E6 at the moment. :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #2,900 of 15,646
Hi all,  New member here.  I found this site while trying to research upgrades to my Shure SE215's.  My thinking was Shure, Westone, Beats were the bulk of the IEM market.  Boy was I wrong.  I started researching better IEM's once my kids forced me to hide my Klipsch Forte II's for their safety. 

I have FiiO E6 amp, Shure 310,215 and Apple sources.

I appreciate all the reviews, help and feedback this forum provides.

thanks
-lars

Dec 21, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,901 of 15,646
Wow, 2 new members within 20 mins with FiiO E6's - coincidence or what :lol:

Welcome everyone
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,904 of 15,646
Hi everyone, my name is David. I've been an avid user of head-fi for awhile but I've only been lurking. I figured I'd finally make an account since I'm on here almost everyday.
I own (or have owned) multiple IEMs including:
V-Moda Zn (just ordered tonight)
Bose IE2
Beats iBeats
V-Moda Remix Remote
MEElectronics M6 Pro
MEElectronics M6
Klipsch Image S4
V-Moda Faze
+ others that I have forgotten about.
I also own Sony MDR-1RBT, Grado SR80e, and Sennheiser Momentum 2 headphones.
My only amp is a tiny FiiO MCKINLEY E05.

I am not entirely new to forums but I have not been active on any in years. I started on laserpointerforums back in high school under the name David1235102 and I just graduated college with a degree in Electro-Mechanical Engineering - Lasers.

Anyway, I look forward to being active on here as I continue expanding my knowledge and collection of IEMs, headphones, and Amps/DACs.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2,905 of 15,646
New to the forum but not new to Head-fi. Been scrolling the threads for awhile, years.

I own JH 5 Pros and recently decided to make some better cables for them and there is some great resources contained here. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

I'm a Senior Project Manager for a production company and my main background is in audio.

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #2,906 of 15,646
New to the forum but not new to Head-fi. Been scrolling the threads for awhile, years.

I own JH 5 Pros and recently decided to make some better cables for them and there is some great resources contained here. Looking forward to expanding my knowledge.

I'm a Senior Project Manager for a production company and my main background is in audio.

Audio production?

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #2,907 of 15,646
Hey guys, I'm Kevin. I'm really just making a profile so I can unload a pair of JH Roxanne Universal's on this site, they're still in the box, sealed with the packaging sticker. I'm willing to go as low as $800 for the pair.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #2,909 of 15,646
Hello!
I've been lurking around Head-Fi for a while and have frequently searched the forums for information. I decided it was finally time to create an account.
I've always enjoyed good music and sound quality. As of now, I own MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, Denon AH-D2000, Fiio X5 and Audeze Deckard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back