New Member Introductions thread
Jul 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,891 of 15,544
Greetings,

With the advent of affordable DAP players (200€ for a Fiio X3), I've been weak and fallen. Lately, I've been surfing all the corners of the internet to read an insane amount of review regarding new DAPS and IEMs.

For my history, I'm a proud owner of a Samsung YP-P2 coupled to a Phonak PFE 112. Both of them gave me great pleasure, and because prices are less expensive than 5 years ago for decent hardware, I've decided recently to upgrade my gear and bought a Fiio X1+hifiman400 waterline for my wife and a Fiio X3-II for myself.

Now, I'masking for more and search to replace my headphones to get all the pleasure I can from my new DAP :wink:

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #1,892 of 15,544
Hi everyone. Big music fan here. I joined specifically for people's thoughts and opinions on modified ipod classics. My 120gb is nearly full (I've twice now in the past 3 years gone through it to delete music I never listen to and is simply taking up space. Currently on my 3rd round of this). I've known of the modified ipod classics on ebay for a while now but am very wary of putting down 3 figures on something that may be DOA or worse yet, crashes sometime in the future. Gonna search around for opinions on what you all have spoken about regarding this topic, but for just right here, this is my criteria:

1. I want either a 240/256 or a 480/512 (can't imagine myself ever needing the illustrious 1tb, lol)
2. I don't want to mod it myself (too afraid to take the risk)
3. The seller or person making them must be American. Sorry if that makes me racist, but a lot of the ebay postings for the modded ipods are from other countries, the descriptions are terribly translated, the pics are always the same, and the negative feedback numbers are through the roof for each of the sellers (I think most of the positive feedback on their pages are scams). Also, as a frequent ebay user over the past 15 years, I've seen cheap knock-off bootlegs of almost everything I like to buy (clothes, electronics, etc..), and it's always from other countries.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #1,893 of 15,544
Hi everyone,

Just introducing myself here on Head-Fi forums - long time lurker, but now first-time poster =) 

I have just delved into the world of IEMs, having been happy with my Sennheiser HD650s and Hifiman HE-500s until now, but wearing big cans at work seems to draw alot of attention >_< 

My ideal "perfect" IEM is hard to define given my limited experience - but it would be a combination of the bass from my Beyerdynamic T5p, the mids from the Hifiman RE-600 and the treble from my T5p =) my ER4S is just a little lacking in oomph in the bass department for my liking, my SE215 is too polite in the high and treble ranges and the RE-600 is also lacking in bass and treble! Arggh!

I am looking forward to learning from you all, along the journey towards finding the perfect balance in earphones and headphones =)

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #1,894 of 15,544
Hi everyone,

Just introducing myself here on Head-Fi forums - long time lurker, but now first-time poster =) 

I have just delved into the world of IEMs, having been happy with my Sennheiser HD650s and Hifiman HE-500s until now, but wearing big cans at work seems to draw alot of attention >_< 

My ideal "perfect" IEM is hard to define given my limited experience - but it would be a combination of the bass from my Beyerdynamic T5p, the mids from the Hifiman RE-600 and the treble from my T5p =) my ER4S is just a little lacking in oomph in the bass department for my liking, my SE215 is too polite in the high and treble ranges and the RE-600 is also lacking in bass and treble! Arggh!

I am looking forward to learning from you all, along the journey towards finding the perfect balance in earphones and headphones =)
I just recently got these, and they are fantastic, they need at least 50 hrs break in period. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YUTCVHM/ref=ya_aw_oh_pii
http://www.dunu-topsound.com/

Here are some reviews on the dunu 2000j's.http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=Dn2000j

You can also go the custom IEM route like the JH16's "that I also own, and in a different class than regular IEM'S", from http://www.jhaudio.com/collection/jha-pro-music-products

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #1,895 of 15,544
I just recently got these, and they are fantastic, they need at least 50 hrs break in period. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YUTCVHM/ref=ya_aw_oh_pii

Ooh! I remember Jokerl's review of these on the headphonelist.com - will check them out, thanks! =) do you find the bass overpowering the mids and highs? It's what I'm worried about - sometimes the RE-600s mid get clouded that way with some songs...

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,896 of 15,544
Ooh! I remember Jokerl's review of these on the headphonelist.com - will check them out, thanks! =) do you find the bass overpowering the mids and highs? It's what I'm worried about - sometimes the RE-600s mid get clouded that way with some songs...
Not at all, they have a very well balanced sound, the bass is nice and tight, not loose that it bleeds into other instruments, on another note, they are not as sensitive as most IEM'S, so you might have to dial up the volume a bit more on your DAP then with some more sensitive IEM'S, like my JH16's.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #1,898 of 15,544
Hello. Recently bought a pair of HD600s (recently as in literally yesterday. They're not here yet) and have been interested in this hobby for about a couple months, but no budget to buy something good. Finally gathered a little money to spend on my growing music hobby :). Always looking for some good advice.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #1,900 of 15,544
Ok so intro time I suppose. 

So I work, work, work and love music to bring me down or pep me up. I really wanted to get into good sound and recently started a new, better compensation so I figured it was time to treat myself. So I was originally listening to those Skull Candy Hesh 2 and "upgraded" to the Crushers (with that freaky and irritating vibration) which they call "bass." 

So on my own dime, about 4 months ago I said I am going to move up...way up. And I think I took a wrong turn somewhere because a million dollars later I ended up with so-so advice and got Beats Studio Pro Wireless. They were certainly an improvement on the Skull Candy but to be honest I wan't hearing much more new sounds from tracks that I was missing on the Crushers/Hesh 2. So after grounding myself to my room I made the move last week and just last night received my V-Moda M100 today....now understand I have a lot to learn and that's why I am here but WOW. Now I am hearing things I didn't before especially from my laptop (ASUS ROG gaming) 

So now I have caught the bug...and figured I would come and learn as much as I can

so hey!

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,901 of 15,544
Not at all, they have a very well balanced sound, the bass is nice and tight, not loose that it bleeds into other instruments, on another note, they are not as sensitive as most IEM'S, so you might have to dial up the volume a bit more on your DAP then with some more sensitive IEM'S, like my JH16's.

Thanks for the advice =) will definitely look into it! 

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,902 of 15,544
Hello!

I've just started my first steps into the world of high fidelity audio. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's and Audio Technica ATH-M50's that I modded to have removable cables. My source is a rooted Sony Z3C with Viper4Android that I love more than life itself. I also have a Fiio E6 and a MPOW Bluetooth Receiver, as I like to go wireless when mobile. My immediate plans are to replace swaths of my music collection with 320 Kbps CBR versions, and to finally migrate my root setup to Lollipop. I'd like to eventually get a pair of Mr Speaker's Mad Dog Headphones and/or a pair of Phillips Fidelio X2's.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,903 of 15,544
Hello everyone, my name is Mihai, i'm a Live Sound Engineer for about 8 years, new to hi-fi things, all the time listening to big PAs, owner to a AKG k712 and new owner to Jds Labs Element, i had many soundcards for multitrack purpouse, now i got stuck for my dekstop PC with Asus Essence Stx II. Like i said i am new and ready to learn all new things from you guys. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #1,904 of 15,544
Hello! I'm a college student who really loves listening to different audio equipment and is hoping to get more involved in discussion about headphones, DACs, IEMs, and their ilk on Head-Fi. I've been lurking for a couple years, and I really appreciate all the high-quality reviews on a wide range of hi-fi equipment amassed by Head-Fiers over the years. They've helped me a lot in building my knowledge of analyzing sound quality and differentiating the sound signatures of different equipment, not to mention in making my own purchases. I currently use a pair of SoundMagic E30s paired with a Fiio E12 and my Xiaomi Hongmi Note as a source on the go, and at home I use an iFi micro DAC with a pair of AKG Q701s and my ASUS N550JX laptop as a source. As you can see for my mobile setup I love budget equipment from Chinese companies, and having grown up in China I can really get behind any Chinese companies that want to get into high fidelity audio.

Currently I'm in the process of updating my music library with some higher quality music files (I previously only had 44.1 kHz, 16-bit stuff). I use MusicBee as my music software right now, but I'm also searching for some alternative playback software for Windows (preferably budget options, hehe). Hope to learn a lot from everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back