New Member Introductions thread
Mar 29, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #1,486 of 15,565
Hello,

My name is Mike (Tiby is my nickname) and I am quite new to the Hi-Fi audio equipments, even though I did use the resources from here in many of my past decisions.
I am a technical consultant at 29 years old with some background in coding and fizics / mathematics (not that much time available now but I really enjoyed these during high school and university).
I am the kind of guy that usually doesn't take for granted what other say about products especially when it comes to audio because it's just when you listen to them that you can see if it fits your listening experience or not.
I'm not saying i'm an audiophile but really want to know that my equipment sounds as good as possible in the budget I have allocated for it and that's because just leaving in a country where I don't have access to that many live concerts I do prefer to watch them online via iConcerts or other similar sites that do offer this. My music library is not that extensive and I digress that most of the time now I just listen to playlists from soundcloud or grooveshark and usually keep what I enjoyed listening.

Now regarding my setup, I do most of my listening with a computer (that's because I always have one with me) but I also have an iPod player that was actually a gift from someone close a couple of years back.

As headsets I currently own the following:
- Samson SR850 (actually started with these)
- Sennheiser HD 518 (bought them a couple of months back because I just liked how the sound .. it's a bit more natural than the Samson and I just forget that I wear them on.. Even if I set the volume up to 75% they are still comfortable)
- Audio Technica CKX7 (upgraded a couple of months back from some Thermaltake ISURUS in ear pads marketed for "gaming" but boy is there a difference between these two .. I use them at the office just because I don't want everyone to ask "ooh you paid so much on these when mine came with the player and sound decent" and they simply ignore them .. )
- Arctic Cooling P311 (using them at the gym or while jogging .. It won't make a hole in my wallet if I loose them and they don't sound like other crappy bluetooth cans; I actually have a spare of these).

For desktop speakers due to my limited space at home I could only fit 2.1 system on my desk. I currently own the Edifier S330D's for about 4 months (and they were a very nice upgrade from my previous Altec Lansing VS4121 speakers that after 5 years of use started to buzz horribly even if I asked an electrician to change and make all the necessary upgrades to my power source).

When I am at home I listen to music from a SupremeFX sound card from Asus (the one that actually comes with Maximus VII Impact board). This is a nice mini ITX setup that offers so much power in such a small form factor design. 
When I am on the go I have my FiiO E10K dac/amp with me and listen as much as I can to music. Tried to use the onboard speakers from the laptops but they seemed to not output that much power for the headsets (thus the reason I chose FiiO).

Well that's pretty much it.. Ooh I do enjoy all types of music, but have a slight tendancy towards high paced rock (eg Dragonforce 
biggrin.gif
)..
For now I am still searching for a nice looking pair of closed headsets that feel good on my head and offer pleasing sound experience. 
Tried until now the VMODA M100's but they are too much bassy for my liking and even the Razer Kraken forged (when they had them offered for half the price), but they were increadibly not comfortable to use and the bass on these was like so much .. Even at 30% volume and these could reap your head apart of how loud they were.
I'm currently looking at a pair of Sony MDR1's but did not get the change to listen to them yet.

I've been through many headsets until now , but this will only make my first post longer to tell about each and every one. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,487 of 15,565
Hi guys I'm new here, I'm Erik and I've been following the site for about a year and finally decided to join. I am rather new to the audio community but I have started to build a collection of equipment in a short period of time. My current cans are the sennheiser HD 700, I welcome any suggestions and advice thanks and glad to be here.

Mar 29, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #1,488 of 15,565
Hi, I'm also new to the community. The names AJ. I've been following this site for a while now and it was time for me to join. I just started my collection less than a year ago and so far it's great. My cans are audio technica ad2000. I'm still trying to expand my collection any recommendations are gladly appreciated. Or any advice in general would be nice.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,489 of 15,565
Hey guys, long time lurker, finally decided to make an account - I'm Mik. Mostly been into IEM's and speakers over the past few years that I've got into audio gear, now looking at getting some full sized cans. My current IEM setup is ibasso DX90 > Fiio E12A > Shure SE846, which I really love! Looking forward to absorbing all the information and advice this community shares.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,490 of 15,565
Have been a long time lurker, but now i'm searching for a pair of v-moda XL pads (they cost a fortune to get shipped to europe).. so i thought, why not register on head-fi (finally!), and search for a pair there as a bonus!

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,491 of 15,565
I'm also a long-time lurker (almost 3 years!) and I finally made an account after attending CanJam. My current desktop setup is kind of embarrassing so I don't want to post it until I get better cans. Nice to meet you guys.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #1,492 of 15,565
I already made another post saying hi and requesting help, but I feel I should post here as well. I'm basically pretty new to everything. I've had HD555s for many years, but never ventured into the land of amps / dacs. I'm hoping to change that soon.

Apr 1, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,493 of 15,565
Hi! My name is Ruben Garcia from the Bay Area. I had a pair of B&W P7 headphones for my walks. I see my iPhone. But I just got an Audeze EL-8, open back and the question of getting a portable amp has come to me. I know there are very few EL-8's out there but I would like to hear recommendations for pairing this beautiful headphones. I would ld love to have the option of the amp also being a DAC. I really have a wide taste in music.

Thank you,

Ruben

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,494 of 15,565
Hi! My name is Ruben Garcia from the Bay Area. I had a pair of B&W P7 headphones for my walks. I see my iPhone. But I just got an Audeze EL-8, open back and the question of getting a portable amp has come to me. I know there are very few EL-8's out there but I would like to hear recommendations for pairing this beautiful headphones. I would ld love to have the option of the amp also being a DAC. I really have a wide taste in music.

Thank you,

Ruben

Ruben, head over to EL8 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/749214/audeze-el-8-the-el-8-is-a-must-hear-at-ces-2015.

I've been reading the thread for a few days and most noted that the EL8 is very easy to drive.  Some have found that using additional dac/amp does not help much.  I have a EL8 open and I like it out of my Fiio X3 or Galaxy S5 just find.  Using my Teac UD-301 dac and either my Project Ember or Lyr2 does nothing for the sound of the EL8, sometime it sounds worse IMO.

have fun with your new phone

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,495 of 15,565
Hi, my name is Jacob and I'm currently in the end of my 2nd year at university studying music education, and choral conducting! I've been lurking around Reddit and here for a whIle but recently purchased a pair of HiFiman HE-400's and a Schiit Lyr after doing a lot of research into what I think I might like to hear! I'm really excited to start getting into some more detailed listening and I am very interested in transferring my (small , but beautiful) record collection over to the digital world!
*edit to say that I really enjoy Jazz, bebop, hard bop, cool jazz, swing, almost any kind of jazz. I also love choral music, Broadway musicals, and classical, but I enjoy every type of music for different reasons.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #1,496 of 15,565
Hello!

My Name is Ian and I'm a composer, sound engineer, and music snob all rolled into one. My preferred listening method is in a studio or other treated listening room. My headphones now are the AKG k702, and I listen using steinberg interfaces like the UR22 and UR28M. I despise everything MP3, and seek to motivate a public change to lossless audio. lossless freeedom!!! and beyond. there are even greater boundaries to traverse once people adopt lossless as standard. but without the quality and space allowance people will be used to in music once lossless takes hold, we cannot move forward with new technologies in music for the masses. I'm very pleased to become a member of the forum and hope to bring some value to questioners and researchers alike.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,499 of 15,565
Hi all, my name is Michael and I'm not from kiwi-country :)

43 year old, longtime hifi-enthusiast, but now for the first time looking for a large upgrade on headphonestereo. I build my own loudspeakers and have a tiny dedicated movieroom in my house. Headfi-setup is meant to get the best sound in my not-so-hifi-friendly living room.

Thanks for all information and knowledge at his forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back