New Member Introductions thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #1,277 of 15,646
Hi all
I'm a newby here, but since a while I'm a reader of different posts on this fantastic site.

It's really a great thing to be able to access a so big community of audiophiles to discuss about different experiences and equipment.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #1,278 of 15,646
Hi Everyone,

Another newcomer tagging along.

Looking forward to being part of this knowledgable, entertaining and friendly community.

Currently delighted with sounds emanating from my Fiio X1/Topping NX1 and Soundmagic E10.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,279 of 15,646
Hey all!

I'm new here, even though I'm not really new to the audio world, I guess. I've been doing sound design work and audio engineering for community theatre and art installations.

I like to casually play any amount of video games with my friends (VoIP), listen to music while working/browsing the web, mix/master my sound design for theatre work, and any audio engineering work outside of my home. Be it FoH work, monitors, you name it.

But I've finally decided to become a big boy and begin the transformation of my home setup.

My current inventory includes:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 audio interface - used for theatre work if they don't have their own interface for playback, but it will also be acting as my DAC for my main desktop setup.

ATH-M30 - Alright, I bought these freshman year (6 years ago) and I really enjoy them. They're getting old, but they have been serving their purpose. I could probably have a better choice when it comes to doing FoH/Monitors, but it's what I have for the time being.

Symphonized Wraith - just picked these off on a sale and will be trying them out soon. I've heard they are pretty good for the price, and just good in general. Not my be all end all headphones, but something that I will probably use for casual everyday use. I haven't noticed much discussion on it here. Thoughts? Should I return these? No real reviews. I just jumped on them because of the price.

Things I'm in the market for:

A desktop amp, like the Magni/O2/etc. - pretty simple. I like the Saffire Pro 24 as a DAC, but I would like to get a headphone amp.

A good FireWire card (need to support FW 400) - PCI is the only option here. I like my current card, but I believe I can get a better one. Not sure if this is even the right forum for this.

A good set of neutral cans to use for FoH/monitoring - I need a good pair of cans for use while I'm on the road and not at my desk.

A good set of cans for mixing/DAW work while at home - Need a better pair of cans for when I'm working at home on a sound design. Something neutral. Could even be the same as my on the road cans.

I look forward to being a part of this community! Any help in redirection to the forum sections that would be most helpful would be great! My budget may not always want to agree with the choices I make, but sometimes I'm willing to let my wallet/heart do the talking instead of my brain.

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,280 of 15,646
Hi welcome to head-fi, I hope you find the right equipment to make you a happy man. For your information, ATH 50x are on sale on Amazon, for 129$ (do not know the euro price). ATH 50x are good cans that sound very nice and are nice and portable. These headphones were the first really nice portable cans I bought.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,282 of 15,646
Hi Everybody!

Oh, earphones and headphones were with me since I found out that I prefer some songs over the others :).
Rised on music cassettes, earbuds were one of best friends of my early music endeavors which led me to some more serious things - playing bass guitar and sound engineering studies on the university. 

Being musician and acoustician few years ago "i had a dream" of making myself earbuds that I have never had before. Both for performing and listening. Quickly I found out that CIEM is a thing that would seriously rock my boat. But I had no budget, there were no CIEMS laying around or information on them or whatsoever. So I decided to to make some by myself...

And that is how I found Head-Fi which turned out to be real mine of inspiration and thread that changed things for next few years: http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems . And making long story short, I will use Bilavideo's words from the very first post of this thread:
It's gonna get ugly.
It's gonna get funky.
It's gonna cook your cookies.
It's gonna be fun.

And it got.

So after few years I ended up equipping not only myself but many other people including some musicians who, nearly 18 years earlier, were my first inspirations to start think about sound seriously (watt? I'm that old? :wink: ).

Registered really some time ago now I decided to introduce myself and by inspiring and getting inspired by others pay-off some of my debt to the community :).

Hah, that is my Head-Fi story so far. Thanks for reading :).

---

tl;dr: Hi! :wink:

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #1,284 of 15,646
Hey guys, I am new to here. It is a great place. Tons of useful information and reviews here.

Welcome to head-fi, hope you find whatever your looking for. If you need any help, please ask, perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,285 of 15,646
Welcome to head-fi, hope you find whatever your looking for. If you need any help, please ask, perhaps I can point you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot. Actually I do have some questions.
Now my setup is: Matrix X-sabre, Bryston BHA-1, and HD650. I am thinking of getting a power conditioner for my system. Is this necessary?  Also I want to update my headphone, any recommendations, like LCD-2? I listen to pop and jazz in most time.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,286 of 15,646
Thanks a lot. Actually I do have some questions.
Now my setup is: Matrix X-sabre, Bryston BHA-1, and HD650. I am thinking of getting a power conditioner for my system. Is this necessary?  Also I want to update my headphone, any recommendations, like LCD-2? I listen to pop and jazz in most time.

I do not think you need a power conditioner unless you have a ground loop problem and it's impacting upon your headphones sound signature. I suggest you go to Audeze LCD-2 forums threads and ask about that particular headphone. I know Mike Mercer has recommended/ named the LCD-2 F last the best invention of 2014. But I have not tried the lcd-2f and can not make a honest recommendation about those cans. I personally use MrSpeakers Alpha Prime's and swear by them. I can highly recommend the He-400i, it's one very great sounding headphone, that looks very nice.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,287 of 15,646
I do not think you need a power conditioner unless you have a ground loop problem and it's impacting upon your headphones sound signature. I suggest you go to Audeze LCD-2 forums threads and ask about that particular headphone. I know Mike Mercer has recommended/ named the LCD-2 F last the best invention of 2014. But I have not tried the lcd-2f and can not make a honest recommendation about those cans. I personally use MrSpeakers Alpha Prime's and swear by them. I can highly recommend the He-400i, it's one very great sounding headphone, that looks very nice.

Thanks. I will look into this. By the way is it comfortable using he-400i? I was told that it will kill your neck when you put it on your head for more than an hour. But I never get the chance to try is myself.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #1,288 of 15,646
Thanks. I will look into this. By the way is it comfortable using he-400i? I was told that it will kill your neck when you put it on your head for more than an hour. But I never get the chance to try is myself.

I found the HE-400i to be extremely comfortable, though I found the ear cups to be a tad hot. The Audeze LCD-2f's are supposed to be heavy for certain people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back