New Member Introductions thread
Aug 22, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #13,906 of 15,646
Hi,

Many of my searches over the years have lead me to Head-Fi. I've benefitted from all your recommendations enormously. Finally signing up to at least Like your posts.

Always loved music. As a kid I listened to my Walkman with whatever headphones they came with.
When I started work in the early 2000s a friend showed me his Sennheiser HD202s which I loved and used for work headphones for many years. Probably bought 7 pairs over the years. For earbuds I used some Creative EP-630 - which I found in a work drawer and enjoyed - and then some Sennheiser CX 300 IIs.

After seeing the Sennheiser HD 650 constantly praised in Reddit posts and other places, in 2015 I decided to buy them. Along with a Schiit Modi DAC and a Schiit Vali tube hybrid amp. I loved them! Rediscovered my favourite music, hearing sounds I'd never heard before! Finally using decent gear I could hear the difference between Spotify streaming and FLAC files. I gradually moved towards playing more FLAC files. Using Spotify for discovery.

Late 2020 I decided to upgrade to a Schiit Modius (AKM 4493) and Valhalla 2 tube amp, after reading on here how well suited the Valhalla 2 was to the HD 650s.
It was a massive upgrade again and I loved how much more detail and soundstage I experienced with these.

A few weeks ago I purchased the new Schiit Bifrost 2/64. I was constantly reading rave reviews of the Bifrost 2. It's been on my wantlist for a while. When I saw Schiit had released an upgrade to the Bifrost 2 I was very excited. I read reviews saying it's an across the board improvement. I enjoy treble and read reviews saying it had improved on the Bifrost 2's treble but retained all the other good things about the Bifrost 2. I turn 40 this year so used that as an excuse for an early birthday present. On receiving it, I noticed an improvement in detail, staging and texture <-- be gentle on me, I'm still building my audio vocabulary.
It did however seem more neutral and I thought vocals were a bit less prominent. At first I thought it was bright. Then I messed around with the Equalizer in Plexamp and bumped up 500 Hz by +0.7 and used the Equalizer Preamp Gain to increase that to 1.7 dB. I found a wide range of music was enjoyable again. I leave the DAC on all the time as I've read these benefit from that. The Valhalla 2 I turn off each day to hopefully preserve tube life.

This new Bifrost 2/64 has given me so many more questions! Do I now need an EQ like Lokius to get the sound I'm after. Would that even do comparable things to my software EQ which also uses a preamp gain? Is anyone else with the Bifrost 2/64 experiencing a more neutral and less impactful sound with their HD650s and Valhalla 2 by default? Is burn-in a thing, and should I just be patient and wait for it to open up? Is my Valhalla 2 amp now the weakest link in the chain?
I was expecting the Bifrost 2/64 to be a bit more of an upgrade given they are x3 the price of the Modius. I appreciate the Modius even more now. Am I now approaching diminishing returns with more money spent giving me a less and less improvements? Have been refreshing the Bifrost 2/64 thread multiple times a day to get others impressions. Also been waiting for more YouTube reviews to be released but I guess those take time! I'm now over the 15 day return period. After A/Bing the Bifrost 2/64 with my Modius it is a clear improvement with the majority of songs I listen to so I've decided to keep it and continue on my journey of education and discovery.

Aug 23, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #13,907 of 15,646
Eh yo everyone, new to the forum but not as new to the hobby. Started with the Fiio FD5 and ended with the LE Pneumas. Still exploring options, open to DAPS, Cables and everything along the line that makes music sound good. I'm into Kpop and Chinese pop, still trying my best to appreciate classical and orchestras!

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #13,908 of 15,646
Greetings , I have just joined today but I have been looking since 2017 when I purchased my dac Dave .
Have a few questions I want to ask about the dac & cables which I will do the thread about Dave .
Have just recently bought a new Music server the EVO 432 Aeon that has been a big improvement in sound quality , getting the right matching USB cable to
mate with the dac was a lot of trail & error all sounded good but each one was just not quite right . Have chosen to stay with Sonic Arts Blue Lightning for now .
As we all know that rabbit hole gets deeper each time we buy some thing new .

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #13,911 of 15,646
New member. Getting back into audio again after discovering lossless on Apple Music has made listing to music though headphones actually enjoyable again. I am old enough to remember vinyl, 8 tracks, cassettes, CD’s and Winamp. Worst thing I ever did was get rid of all my CD’s. Decided to pick up some cheap Koss 60 ohm headphones and a Fiio KA1 to hear Apples high res stuff… now I’m simply introducing myself because I’ve been lurking too much the last 6moths or so..

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #13,912 of 15,646
Hello everyone, new to the forum too. I am set with a Denafrips Ares, singxer xa1, hd6xx, audeze lcd2.

Recently entered the vinyl world. All in all looking forward to keep learning from this website. Not gonna spend any money anymore though, I spent more than enough already. Will buy a new vinyl every now and then, the rest on actual concerts.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #13,913 of 15,646
Hi there! I went to CanJam in London and had such a good time I had to join the forums to talk about cans.

I'm mostly interested in headphones, less about DACs and amps, as long as they drive my stuff. I strive to try out as much as I could, so I know what is out there!

I'm a Dutchie, happy to do can meets and also active on the 2nd hand market (mostly to collect, don't have that much yet)

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #13,920 of 15,646
Hi everyone! I am long time lurker and decided to register to help a user in another thread.
I am really grateful for everyone's discussions and reviews. That helped me to get experience and purchase gear that is the best fit for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back