New Member Introductions thread
Jan 27, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,186 of 15,569
Hey everyone,
I'm Elise, I'm an Australian who's new to this whole audiophile thing. I have been listening to music ever since I was young and would listen to my parents classic rock cassette tapes, eventually moving on to learning to play bass guitar and drums in my teen years where I also learnt a lot about the composition of music. This kind of got me into listening to a very broad range of music and enjoying picking apart the different parts of any song.

I've never really had the money to invest in any high quality audio gear, but just this Christmas my girlfriend purchased me a pair of Sennheiser HD598's to replace my headset that broke. I'm now very much in love with these headphones and how they sound, and maybe just a bit obsessed with getting my hands on lots of different genres in FLAC format so I can appreciate them even more.

I don't really know much about DACs or Amps (other than the kind of amps we used in sound tech for band performances) but I am looking for ways and advice on improving my listening experience even more as I (albeit slowly) save up some money. I'm currently running my HD598's through my Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers so that it's easy to unplug the headphones when I just want sound through the speakers.

My favourite types of music would probably be Chillstep, ambient, classic pop, disco, modern pop, modern rock and techno. Bonus points for anything with rich, warm bass that makes you tingle all over ;D

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,187 of 15,569
  Hey everyone,
I'm Elise, I'm an Australian who's new to this whole audiophile thing. I have been listening to music ever since I was young and would listen to my parents classic rock cassette tapes, eventually moving on to learning to play bass guitar and drums in my teen years where I also learnt a lot about the composition of music. This kind of got me into listening to a very broad range of music and enjoying picking apart the different parts of any song.

I've never really had the money to invest in any high quality audio gear, but just this Christmas my girlfriend purchased me a pair of Sennheiser HD598's to replace my headset that broke. I'm now very much in love with these headphones and how they sound, and maybe just a bit obsessed with getting my hands on lots of different genres in FLAC format so I can appreciate them even more.

I don't really know much about DACs or Amps (other than the kind of amps we used in sound tech for band performances) but I am looking for ways and advice on improving my listening experience even more as I (albeit slowly) save up some money. I'm currently running my HD598's through my Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers so that it's easy to unplug the headphones when I just want sound through the speakers.

My favourite types of music would probably be Chillstep, ambient, classic pop, disco, modern pop, modern rock and techno. Bonus points for anything with rich, warm bass that makes you tingle all over ;D

Welcome too a another low-end provider!!!!!

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,188 of 15,569
Hello,

Been lurking here for a while, but with the recent purchase of  HD800 and Lehmann Audio Pro, I thought it was about time to get posting.

Found the comments on this forum really helpful in choosing a cable upgrade for the HD800, and have just fired off an order for a Forza Noir HPC, so will post my findings once it arrives.

Regards

Mike

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,189 of 15,569
Hi, just joined this great opportunity. I am new to this hobby and just bought my first pair of open back headphones. They are Philips SHP9500. I also own every newbie fav. ATH-M50. Looking forward to learning from this community and contribute to it. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,190 of 15,569
Hi, I joined about a year ago but finally decided to be active once I realized the potential of this community. Currently own a pair of XPT100's, ATH-M50's, and a new pair of HE-400's.

I'm hoping that I can start editing my profile soon, but I like to listen to a variety of music. Most of my taste consists of rock, hard rock, heavy metal, electronic, dubstep, some hip-hop/rap, and classical on occasion.

I'm hoping to own a great collection of cans one day, one step at a time.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,191 of 15,569
Hello,
I joined last fall and decided to become more active and not lurk as much. Lurking is less expensive though....
I have a Schiit bifrost and Lyr 2. Senn HD 600 and ATH m-50 and soon a pair of Philips x2's. Pair of Audioengine a5+'s on my desk.
Pretty happy with this rig
I listen to all kinds of music.
Great information and opinion shared here on Head-Fi.

Thanks,
Tom

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #1,192 of 15,569
Hi Guys,

I'm Jerwin from the Philippines.
I currently own a Fiio X1 and Philips SHE3590BK which is a great pairing (for me). Hoping to find other good IEM or Over-ear headphones, and AMP or DAC as well.

My favorite type of music would probably be Anime OSTs or J-Rock, Rock, Classics, Modern pop, Punk Rock, and Acoustic. Also listens to some rock bands (preferably with a female vocalist).

Thanks guys and more power,

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,194 of 15,569
Hi Guys,

I'm Jerwin from the Philippines.
I currently own a Fiio X1 and Philips SHE3590BK which is a great pairing (for me). Hoping to find other good IEM or Over-ear headphones, and AMP or DAC as well.

My favorite type of music would probably be Anime OSTs or J-Rock, Rock, Classics, Modern pop, Punk Rock, and Acoustic. Also listens to some rock bands (preferably with a female vocalist).

Thanks guys and more power,

Check out
IEM: Etymotic ER4-PT. Westone W60.
DAC: Cypherlabs Theorem 720. JDS Labs C5D.
IEM cable: Piccolino Crystal Cable.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,196 of 15,569
Check out
IEM: Etymotic ER4-PT. Westone W60.
DAC: Cypherlabs Theorem 720. JDS Labs C5D.
IEM cable: Piccolino Crystal Cable.

As much as I wanted to  try the Etymotic ER4-PT sadly it is not available here locally (or I am just bad at searching for local stores hehe). Don't know yet for the W60 as my first impression in the Westone UM1 and UM3x RC was that hiss or the cymbals sounds too sharp for me. That's why I haven't reconsider it yet (my source is not Fiio X1 at that time, will try auditioning to it again some time).

As for the DACs you mentioned, not sure if that is available here locally, although I have read reviews or heard some feedback about it and all of them were positive.

Thanks for the list man.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,198 of 15,569
As much as I wanted to  try the Etymotic ER4-PT sadly it is not available here locally (or I am just bad at searching for local stores hehe). Don't know yet for the W60 as my first impression in the Westone UM1 and UM3x RC was that hiss or the cymbals sounds too sharp for me. That's why I haven't reconsider it yet (my source is not Fiio X1 at that time, will try auditioning to it again some time).

As for the DACs you mentioned, not sure if that is available here locally, although I have read reviews or heard some feedback about it and all of them were positive.

Thanks for the list man.

Hmm - that's interesting. The UM1 (which I used to own) and all the Westone headphones are typically called "warm" and "laid back" because they do not have aggressive treble. That doesn't seem to match with your description. I have owned several Westone IEMs (UM1, UM2 & W2) and I would never have described them as bright or sharp.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,199 of 15,569
Hmm - that's interesting. The UM1 (which I used to own) and all the Westone headphones are typically called "warm" and "laid back" because they do not have aggressive treble. That doesn't seem to match with your description. I have owned several Westone IEMs (UM1, UM2 & W2) and I would never have described them as bright or sharp.

I see maybe because of my Source which is a smartphone.
I haven't tried it again ever since I bought the Fiio X1.

Will do some auditioning again some other time.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #1,200 of 15,569
Hi! Oleg from Hungary. Been here I think for a couple of months, used the forums to base my purchasing decisions (FiiO X3, Sony NWZ-A15, Sony MDR XB90EX & JVC FXD70-S). 

Listen to wide range of music, Blues, Drum & Bass and most of the stuff that's in between.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back