New Member Introductions thread
May 16, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #10,083 of 15,544
Hello from California. Love high end audio. Have high end floor speakers and receiver. Looking forward to getting some headphones. Currently interested in Audeze Mobius. Reading reviews, and joined here to learn more about headphones.

May 16, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #10,084 of 15,544
Hello from California. Love high end audio. Have high end floor speakers and receiver. Looking forward to getting some headphones. Currently interested in Audeze Mobius. Reading reviews, and joined here to learn more about headphones.

also if anyone has any suggestions. I am interested in planar Bluetooth overear headphones. only found two in my searches. Audeze Mobius and quad era. Are there any other planar Bluetooth? any recommendations? Thanks

May 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #10,085 of 15,544
Hi I'm Rob.

I'm ReggieB on the The Art of Sound forum. As you can see, my Hi-Fi stack is a thing of beauty:

tnwVEf.jpg

May 16, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #10,086 of 15,544
Thanks for the reminder! I will have the check out the highlights.

Yes, it’s kind of like determining whether you’ll like the taste of a specific food based on someone else’s experience.

Thanks for sharing your approach. Yeah I’m starting to accept that I will need to rely more on my own experience. Sennheiser’s “Dealer Finder” turned me on to a local audio shop that could be a great place to demo a lot of different set ups.

So far I’ve been focused on buying portable gear as I end up listening to a lot of music at work or when I’m driving. I have been looking at portable DAC’s, DAP’s, and IEM’s. That changed the other day when I realized that at work or in my car I probably won’t be able to really appreciate the subtle improvements of Hi-Res music. At work the music will be in the background and when I’m driving the road noise will drown it out. I’ve decided to change my focus to getting a home set up and have started looking at open-back headphones. I love listening to music out of my speakers, but a lot of the time I have to listen to music is at night. So while open-back headphones wouldn’t be great sitting right next to someone the amount of sound being leaked won’t wake up anyone asleep in their bedroom when I’m listening to music in the living room. It’s nice to have this focus as I can now focus on equipment that is geared solely toward sound quality vs sound quality and portability.

I think it would be good to try out equipment at different price points to see what they offer. I think I want to try the Sennheiser HD 600 as well as the HiFiMan HE560 and the Beyerdynamic DT 1990. For headphone DAC’s and amps I like what I’ve read about the Schiit Magni and Modi (as well as your feedback on the Magni) and might try the multi-bit Modi. I read a good review yesterday of the Marantz HD-DAC-1 so that would be a good comparison to the Schiit set up.

Despite my shift toward a home setup it seems like many of my options for DAC’s in the $200 range and below are still portable solutions. Other than Schiit’s Modi/Magni combo it’s hard to find components in that price range that really take advantage of the removal of the many restrictions that come with portability. I figured focusing on the home would really open up my options and provide better quality and performance for comparable prices.

After a lot of thought I’m going to start small and just see how it goes. I’m going to buy the Hifiman HE 400i, the Schiit Magni, and the Schiit Modi. I’ll stream Qobuz and listen to FLAC’s and CD rips I own.

The only other thing I need to do now is to find a decent replacement cable for the HE 400i as the stock on is only 5 ft long. Anyone know of a company that sells stock level replacement cables?

May 17, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #10,091 of 15,544
Hey all,

Been into audio my whole life - first 'big purchase' as a kid was an old sony stereo. It was great! Got into the hobby when I got sick of how bad my astro a50's sounded and picked up an o2 & he-400i. It's been onward and upwards since.

May 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #10,093 of 15,544
Hello everyone,
I am KurobaHeiji from China but live in Australia right now. I have been reading the forums for years, but only just registered.
Thanks!

May 18, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #10,095 of 15,544
Hello everyone, my name is Marko. Actually I joined here long ago and even got some very good recommendations regarding what headphones I should buy. Ended up with Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro with Schiit Jotunheim DAC amp and I can only say I cannot imagine better sound than that. Seems like the time has come for some very good in-ear headphones to be bought so you can freely PM me any recommendation. :)

By the way, doing electronic music mostly in Renoise, trying to get used to Bitwig. http://www.soundcloud.com/pyc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• DP42
Back