New Member Introductions thread
Nov 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #2,566 of 15,561
First I want to thank everyone for all the great information on this site.  Although I have just joined I have been reading the posts and reviews from this site for some time.  I LOVE music and do some mixing on the side so hearing music details is important.  One issue is that my ears budget and my wallet funds are on two totally different spectrum's.  :)  I am always looking for the best bang for the buck and you guys know how to talk that language if needed.  

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #2,567 of 15,561
Hi all,

New member here.  Just getting into hi res audio and good headphones.

One question I wonder if anyone could help with.  I'm trying several headphones, and I have a 3.5mm balanced output on my DAC.  I'm looking for a 4-pin XLR to balanced 3.5mm adapter, preferably from someplace with a decent return policy in case I don't keep the headphones with the XLR output. 

Can anyone help?  I've searched Amazon and google sales to no avail.

Much thanks.

Nov 2, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #2,569 of 15,561
I'm not at all a novice or "n00b" to audio appreciation (I think calling someone or oneself an "audiophile" is rather subjective) having been really into gear since I was an early teen, drooling over gear reviews in Stereophile, Crutchfield catalogs, etc.  Having not really embarked into any serious head gear, this is my first all-out endeavor to setup a modest but respectable cranial sound system.  My new setup consists of:

Little Bear P-1 Tube Amp
SMSL SD-192 Pro DAC
Grado SR80e 'phones
Audioquest Forest Toslink cable (Asus Crosshair Formula V motherboard onboard optical output to DAC)
Audioquest Tower RCA interconnect (DAC to Amp)

I've already amassed a very small assortment of tubes for the amp to play with and just have some general fun, but also have some questions about the amp from a technical/troubleshooting point of view and am anxious to begin asking but will wait for approval to start up a new thread on that subject.  Having said that, "hello" to the whole gang, and thanks for having me!

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #2,571 of 15,561
Just got my first pair of audiophile headphones, a nice pair of HD598's for movie and gaming use. Any idea how I can get more bass out of them for music? I notice that they struggle with treble with fast bassy songs is this a fault with the headphones? They're plugged into my tv's headphone 3.5mm plug and don't really have power issues as the loudest volume is more than loud enough.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #2,572 of 15,561
Hi everybody,
This profile belongs to the Meze headphones brand and we are here as a sponsor to connect with head-fi members and answer any questions.
We have been relying and learning from head-fi over the last few years so we are very thankful to this amazing community!

Thank you all!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #2,574 of 15,561
Hey all! 

First Post!  My name's Jason, and I'm a budding "portable audiophile."  Right now my kit is fairly basic (due to portability issues).  Right now it consists of:
  1. Clear Kickstarter Edition PONO player
  2. Sennheiser HD598
  3. Moon-Audio Blue Dragon 5 foot cable for the HD598.

My audio aspirations are to (when I'm more settled in) upgrade to HD650s with a balanced cable, possibly HD700s.  I'm not a bass-head, but I do like a warm-yet-neutral sound.  I went with the PONO because at the time there was no A&K Jr. in the $400 to $500 HD Audio player range, and I wasn't a fan of the Fiio lineup.  I also happen to like the odd shape of the PONO (good for using on a desk).  I do want to one day see what the A&K 100 II is capable of.  (Yes, I want to be able to move up in the world :-D)

My musical tastes range from Motorhead to Miles Davis to Terry Riley, but what I look for when I'm listening is to be able to "separate" the instruments.  That is, I don't like when everything sounds like a giant "glump" of instruments.  I like being able to find new things in what I listen to, and I also sometimes just enjoy listening for the sake of keeping my mind busy while doing research.  (Music doesn't always have to be hyper-analyzed, sometimes it's good for keeping focus while exercising, or doing a thesis.)

Welp, that's me!!!

Jason

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #2,575 of 15,561
Does anyone use any converters in their setups? Like a dac or a "analog to didgital" converter?
I have a MARANTZ receiver that I would like to use with my Schiit Audio Bofrost DS + Valhalla2, but how can I get the radio or other input signals to work?
(My MARANTZ dosnt have a optical audio out), so if there was a way to use the headphone jack on it, to connect to 1 of the Bifrost 3 inputs, how can I?

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,576 of 15,561
Does anyone use any converters in their setups? Like a dac or a "analog to didgital" converter?
I have a MARANTZ receiver that I would like to use with my Schiit Audio Bofrost DS + Valhalla2, but how can I get the radio or other input signals to work?
(My MARANTZ dosnt have a optical audio out), so if there was a way to use the headphone jack on it, to connect to 1 of the Bifrost 3 inputs, how can I?

Skip the DAC. Just use an AUX output from your Marantz to the input of your Valhalla 2.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #2,578 of 15,561
Hi everyone! Very new member here. 

Have been browsing this forum occasionally in the past for reviews when i got my first entry level IEM, a Westone UM1. I enjoyed it thoroughly but **** happens. I misplaced it in a public place and never saw it ever again. I was a student then so I couldn't afford to replace it and had to stick to my apple earphones for a year.

Now I have graduated and started working, I'm looking to swap my trusty apple earphones for something better so I would appreciate some guidance from you guys! Back then, I read and heard alot about the Westone 3 but it was out of my league monetarily. Now that it has been discontinued, I'm looking at either the Westone W30 or the Westone UM Pro 30 (a sucker for their braided cables and comfort). I have tested both (and a few others like Shure se425 etc) and am torn between the 2. 

Can anyone give me a few pointers to make my choice an easier one :D

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,579 of 15,561
Hey Head-fiers, been lurking here for years looking into budget earbud recommendations, now I'm trying out Mrice E100, VE Monks, Suvov S20, and Cogoo DX400. Always trying to find the best deals so store links welcome if you know of other venders than Aliexpress or Mistertao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back