New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC"
Nov 13, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #407 of 501
Can we also get an update on which version of the amp owners would recommend, the default Jazz or the upgraded version, after they have had time with the newest upgrade?

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #408 of 501
  Can we also get an update on which version of the amp owners would recommend, the default Jazz or the upgraded version, after they have had time with the newest upgrade?

Take a look at this post. I would get the upgraded version right from the start. Especially if you plan to get the amp as a long term investment I would not try to save some money at the wrong end.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #409 of 501
^ I am inclined to agree. Haven't heard the ff circuitry yet but have had lots of experience over many years with Jan Meier's products. He is not in the habit of introducing 'upgrades' which make no difference.

Anyway, I plan to find out for myself in a few months when I send in my Classic for the revision.

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #410 of 501
^ I am inclined to agree. Haven't heard the ff circuitry yet but have had lots of experience over many years with Jan Meier's products. He is not in the habit of introducing 'upgrades' which make no difference.

Anyway, I plan to find out for myself in a few months when I send in my Classic for the revision.

I agree. Though some people do prefer the sound of the original to the ff-upgrades on the Classic and Daccord, I think there is a more refined and natural sound to the ff-versions. At least the difference to my ears is just a little bit more audible than what happens when turning crossfeed on and off. Once used to it, you do not really notice it until you turn it off, something is lacking. The ff-upgrade is maybe a bit more noticeable than crossfeed on / off. I spend a lot of time at a meet with my old original Classic+Daccord and compared it to the ff-versions. With Beyerdynamic T1 it was hard to me to tell the differences (at a noisy meet) but with HD800 the ff-versions were the winner. Jan told me that with the Jazz, the difference between original Jazz and ff-version, is the more audible upgrade. 

I ended up getting the upgrade and I do not regret it. With my bright Beyerdynamic T5p (which I did not try at the meet) there is a much more pleasurable treble. Same high resolution but just more balanced and natural than the original Classic+Daccord. It is like everything is less clinical but with the same or maybe even more details. I would not hesitate getting the ff-versions if I was going to buy a new Meier amplifier. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #411 of 501
Hi. I just purchased a used Classic and Daccord. I'm excited. My son asked me a question that I don't know the answer to, so I'm hoping you can help. What is the advantage to using the hardware crossfeed on the Meier equipment as opposed to using a DSP software plug in in the media player?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #412 of 501
It's a bit of a philosophical choice, but Jans implementation is tastefully tuned with a lot of experience and done in the analog domain, which, in my opinion, offers less non-harmonic artifacts.
Overall crossfeed is not an effect, but a rather subtle help for the brain to compensate the problem of strict channel separation. In the end you would have to listen for quite some time and see which version helps you more. It's normally not the one that springs out at first listen though.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #413 of 501
I think doing things in the Analog domain is the more "effective" way to do things, particularly due to the fact
that at this point the signal is already in that domain.

If I'm not mistaken the Classic & Jazz are strictly Headphone Amps ( not a hp amp w// DAC or as I like to call those "a mess")

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #414 of 501
I think doing things in the Analog domain is the more "effective" way to do things, particularly due to the fact

If I'm not mistaken the Classic & Jazz are strictly Headphone Amps ( not a hp amp w// DAC or as I like to call those "a mess")

Correct. Those two are amps. The daccord / classic combo is a DAC/amp combo.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #415 of 501
Just on the topic of the crossfeed with the Classic/Daccord combo - Do you guys have them implemented on both units or just one? I have settled with using the highest tonal balance and crossfeed on the Daccord.

I don't hear much difference between the crossfeed in the two devices. But the tonal balance on the Classic seems slightly stronger, making the sound darker. I preferred the Daccord's as a result.

Would be interested to hear other owners' thoughts. There is quite a possibility that my impressions are inaccurate/imagined.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #416 of 501

Correct. Those two are amps. The daccord / classic combo is a DAC/amp combo.
He,he,he...That was more of a rhetorical question & more or less a clarification why a Crossfeed DSP pluggin wouldn't be necessaryor preferable

Sorry I wasn't being clear ,

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #417 of 501
  Just on the topic of the crossfeed with the Classic/Daccord combo - Do you guys have them implemented on both units or just one? I have settled with using the highest tonal balance and crossfeed on the Daccord.

I don't hear much difference between the crossfeed in the two devices. But the tonal balance on the Classic seems slightly stronger, making the sound darker. I preferred the Daccord's as a result.

Would be interested to hear other owners' thoughts. There is quite a possibility that my impressions are inaccurate/imagined.

I read the whole thread on a plane yesterday, so I do know there was some discussion of this a few pages back. From what I recall, some keep it high on the DAC and low on the amp. Others are different. Of course there is no "right" setting. You just have experiment to see what works best for you for the music you are listening to. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #418 of 501
Hi Corda Classic Owners!

As I'm currently searching for a new headphone amp for my lineup of headphones and earphones, I stumbled upon this beauty of an amp during my research. 
The question is now, which one, ff or non-ff, would you prefer for a great variety of genres, inkluding Jazz, Electropop, Electronica, Metal and a bit of classical music?

My currently used headphones are as follows: AKG K702, Audeze LCD-2F, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm, Audiofly AF160 and Ultimate Ears UE900. (from most to least used)

I was in correspondence with Jan Meier before and he told me, if I'm listening to more classical music and Jazz he personally would prefer the ff. If I'm listening to Pop or electronic music to, he said that the normal version would fit better due to a harder reproduction of the music.

So does that mean, that the normal Classic is able to give the bass f.ex. a dryer punch or am I getting something wrong here?

Would be glad if you could help me with that issue.

Thank you in advance,
KoRnasteniker

PS: The used DAC would be a JDS-Labs ODAC Rev.B.

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #419 of 501
  Hi Corda Classic Owners!

As I'm currently searching for a new headphone amp for my lineup of headphones and earphones, I stumbled upon this beauty of an amp during my research. 
The question is now, which one, ff or non-ff, would you prefer for a great variety of genres, inkluding Jazz, Electropop, Electronica, Metal and a bit of classical music?

My currently used headphones are as follows: AKG K702, Audeze LCD-2F, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm, Audiofly AF160 and Ultimate Ears UE900. (from most to least used)

I was in correspondence with Jan Meier before and he told me, if I'm listening to more classical music and Jazz he personally would prefer the ff. If I'm listening to Pop or electronic music to, he said that the normal version would fit better due to a harder reproduction of the music.

So does that mean, that the normal Classic is able to give the bass f.ex. a dryer punch or am I getting something wrong here?

Would be glad if you could help me with that issue.

Thank you in advance,
KoRnasteniker

PS: The used DAC would be a JDS-Labs ODAC Rev.B.

I haven't heard the ff version but I can't see why you won't want it - it's a circuit with a switch so you can choose whether or not to engage it. Just gives an extra option - looking forward to upgrading mine.

I've listened to both K702 and the DT880 out of my amp, although briefly - at a meet. Both sounded wonderful. The Audeze should work like a charm - I mostly use mine with an HE-500 and it gives it all the power it needs to sound perfect - and then some!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. It's a terrific amp and for the price (both new and used) it is an excellent choice.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #420 of 501
Originally Posted by intlsubband /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't heard the ff version but I can't see why you won't want it - it's a circuit with a switch so you can choose whether or not to engage it. Just gives an extra option - looking forward to upgrading mine.

Oh, I haven't noticed that. Thx for the info! Strange that Jan didn't communicate the switch in the mail. So I have a good chance of getting two different sounding amps in one package! Nice! :)
Was anyone able to compare any of the mentioned headphones with the Violectric amps too and is able to tell me the difference to the meier audio?

I am currently using a Benchmark DAC-1 (just temporarily) and I'm always thinking that the amp is a tad bright with the Beyer and the AKG even though the detail reproduction is really high on that one. 

Greetings,
KoRnasteniker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back