New: MATRIX M-STAGE DAC
Aug 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #34 of 60
You can order for ebay just try to make sure it's genuine.

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #35 of 60
Headfonia - Matrix Mini

On page two:

"...I also have a Matrix M-Stage DAC which sounds pretty good (also a review coming up), but I’m definitely not as excited about that desktop DAC as I am over this little portable. Not that the M-Stage DAC is inferior, but it’s just another desktop DAC in the sea of desktop DACs out there..."

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:
Headfonia - Matrix Mini

On page two:

"...I also have a Matrix M-Stage DAC which sounds pretty good (also a review coming up), but I’m definitely not as excited about that desktop DAC as I am over this little portable. Not that the M-Stage DAC is inferior, but it’s just another desktop DAC in the sea of desktop DACs out there..."

Well, these guys definitely have the smarts when it comes to these things.

Sounding pretty confident about the Matrix Portable DAC, although they did receive the unit for free, plus they made some comparisons with the Fiio E17 and the Audinst HUD-MX1 (which are much cheaper), so I'm sure there is a lot to like about it considering.

It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about the Matrix M-Stage DAC, since it's "just another desktop DAC". I'm thinking if there's anything to it's merits (besides the way it sounds) it'll be price/quality ratio. I look forward to their review!

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #37 of 60
Headfonia's review is up. More or less in the same league as MS2+. Got a s-pdif input but needs to be plugged in for power.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #38 of 60
Headfonia's review is up. More or less in the same league as MS2+. Got a s-pdif input but needs to be plugged in for power.

Thanks, found the review here: http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-m-stage-dac/

Was hoping for a more details regarding the sound, but I suppose if people are familiar with the MS2+ then they should have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Matrix definitely singled me out with this one, Headfonia make a good point about the size/power, but I simply don't care about those factors since this is the perfect companion for the M-Stage amp. Perhaps not so much for others..

I've been using it for a few months now and it's fantastic.

To my ears I couldn't differentiate between S-PDIF and USB, so I decided to stick with USB, reason being the lock light tends to flash if it doesn't receive an audio signal through S-PDIF (and probably coaxial as well) which is kind of annoying.

One thing I have noticed, and I'm not sure if this is common with all PC sources, but at very high volume there is some distortion while the PC is receiving input from another I/O. For example if I move my mouse, I can hear very soft distorted noise, it "sounds like" data. My only conclusion is there is interference from cables or within the source itself. I'm fine with it though, this is only audible at incredibly high volumes (while silent) and impossible for me to hear over music. I need to test with another source to be sure, shamefully only using my PC at this stage.

I'm sticking with this combo until I step up to Schiit gear.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 60
I hoped Mike would pair it with a M-Stage amp, because of the 'we made it to sound better with the m-stage amp' statements, but...whatever.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:
Im surprised this hasn't gotten more attention... i was seriously considering this but very few seem to own it and post any impressions.

I've one loaned to me for a few weeks now. I'm hesitant to write an impression / review because it would be similar to Headfonia's review.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #42 of 60
I actually ordered one and have one on the way. I'll post impressions as soon as I receive it. I'll be pairing it with the M-Stage amp, so that might be of help to some people.

The only bad thing is, I have no other DACs to compare it to, other than the DAC on my motherboard, which is really crappy. So the comparison won't be of much use to anyone.

Regardless, I'll still post impressions.

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:
I actually ordered one and have one on the way. I'll post impressions as soon as I receive it. I'll be pairing it with the M-Stage amp, so that might be of help to some people.

The only bad thing is, I have no other DACs to compare it to, other than the DAC on my motherboard, which is really crappy. So the comparison won't be of much use to anyone.

Regardless, I'll still post impressions.

Will wait for your impressions 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back