New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jan 16, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #421 of 1,112

Setting this up is pretty easy. Just like adding any regular pc peripheral; install drivers, make sure its setup to output the highest resolution supported by your pc. However, I would suggest getting a better player like Foobar or Jriver.

What is the difference between these & WMP?

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #423 of 1,112
Does anyone noticed any issues with the Optical input for the M8? When I use the Optical output from the TV there's occasionally a <1 second drop out. Sometimes I can see "No signal" being displayed on the DAC, but it's not always. Replacing with my Chord Hugo works without any interruption, but I prefer the sound of the M8 in my living room setup (I think there's a better synergy with the M8 and my living room setup, rather than saying the Hugo isn't as good as the M8 - I know that's quite a statement to make!).

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #424 of 1,112
  Does anyone noticed any issues with the Optical input for the M8? When I use the Optical output from the TV there's occasionally a <1 second drop out. Sometimes I can see "No signal" being displayed on the DAC, but it's not always. Replacing with my Chord Hugo works without any interruption, but I prefer the sound of the M8 in my living room setup (I think there's a better synergy with the M8 and my living room setup, rather than saying the Hugo isn't as good as the M8 - I know that's quite a statement to make!).

possibly dirty port , u can use air compressor to clean that port . U can change it pretty easily too 

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #426 of 1,112
I got mine, it's really good bang for the buck for sure. Sabre chip in a neat box. I can't figure out the reason for these "fast/slow/mini" settings though and it buggs me that it shuts itself off..

Hold the power button for a few seconds to change to no auto shut off

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #427 of 1,112
Been running one of these since getting it via Massdrop a couple of weeks back. For the price it's an excellent unit and has been getting better as I leave it on. I do find a big difference between the optical and USB but that was evident with other DAC's I've tried with my system. The optical has greater definition and space around the instruments but can be grating up top, while the USB is fuller on the bottom / mids but loses some clarity and articulation, especially in the top end.  What I wasn't prepared for was the difference in USB cables I tried.  The stock cable was pretty good albeit a bit "thin" sounding in comparison to the Schiit and Pangea cables I tried which imparted a fuller and warmer sound.  Now I wonder what stepping up to a Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable would do?  Bottom line is I would highly recommend this DAC to anyone looking for a quality unit at a very good price.  One day I'd like to own a Ayre, Aqua or a Audio-gd Master level DAC but for now this little M8 is good enough, and even better than that.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #428 of 1,112
  Been running one of these since getting it via Massdrop a couple of weeks back. For the price it's an excellent unit and has been getting better as I leave it on. I do find a big difference between the optical and USB but that was evident with other DAC's I've tried with my system. The optical has greater definition and space around the instruments but can be grating up top, while the USB is fuller on the bottom / mids but loses some clarity and articulation, especially in the top end.  What I wasn't prepared for was the difference in USB cables I tried.  The stock cable was pretty good albeit a bit "thin" sounding in comparison to the Schiit and Pangea cables I tried which imparted a fuller and warmer sound.  Now I wonder what stepping up to a Wireworld Starlight 7 USB cable would do?  Bottom line is I would highly recommend this DAC to anyone looking for a quality unit at a very good price.  One day I'd like to own a Ayre, Aqua or a Audio-gd Master level DAC but for now this little M8 is good enough, and even better than that.

The input was great until the USB cable part. Not that I don't believe you heard it, but I would recommend you doing a blind test and get back to us with results!

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #429 of 1,112
I actually did do that the 2nd time around. Had the wife swap the cables while I listened over headphones so I could clearly hear the difference. Trust me, I'm certainly not into snake oil and as long as a cable is well made things should sound the same, but it was very apparent the the stock cable had a "lighter" sound to it than the others, and especially the Pangea. That said, I would have liked to have gained back a bit of the top-end clarity I felt was lost going from the stock cable to the Pangea, but there was a difference and to double check I had the wife listen too and she also noticed it. Logic tells me there should be no difference given a cable is of good quality, but my ears certainly heard it. Next up I'm going to record a couple of snippets with all 3 and see what happens on playback.  That all said, a very nice unit.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #432 of 1,112
In case anyone is interested, the M8 works perfectly with an Rpi2 running Rune Audio (http://www.runeaudio.com/). DSD playback works perfectly - DoP can be activated in the settings.

Great new i did some try with modded Rpi1 but had some trouble with high Res file.....
Do you use standard usb cable and music on NAS or locally via usb Stick ?

Feb 4, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #433 of 1,112
My music is on a NAS. For whatever reason the small Edimax USB wifi device didn't provide a stable connection (it does with same RPi running Volumio and playing 24/96 waves) so I have a wired network connection to an Airport Express, acting as wireless bridge to my router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back