New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jan 12, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #406 of 1,112

some nice hi rez internal pictures here:

http://culturehd.com/hifi/smsl-m8-le-champion-des-mini-dac_9429

but I cannot read the french to see they spell out the TCXO and I cannot see it on the board pics.

As I understood, this article says that P1 improves the sound greatly. Did someone experience the same improvement?

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #408 of 1,112
  As I understood, this article says that P1 improves the sound greatly. Did someone experience the same improvement?

I got a P1 for my M8 yesterday but I need to do a critical listening comparison later. I will give an update later. But as far as the build, looks like P1 is pretty well designed and solid build. It gets hot when operating. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #409 of 1,112
Most of my DACs, before and present, scale up with better power supplies. I will not be surprised for anyone tells that this M8 DAC from SMSL performs better with a better power supply such as SMSL's P1. I will get this M8 DAC and I already have a plan about how to build a power supply for it myself.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #411 of 1,112
The P1 power supply does indeed get very hot and to protect my M8 and VA2, I have pushed them backwards so they are tilted up with the front edge resting by a couple of millimetres on the back of the P1;  the W6 braided cables are only just long enough to make this possible.  This stops all the heat from the P1 rising up through the other two.

devices.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #412 of 1,112
  i have this power supply, through speakers sound is the same (good) with stock supply or linear.

I did a basic listening test between the regular stock power supply and and the P1. It is indeed difficult to find the difference. Initially, I cannot hear it so I repeatedly switched between the two setup. Both are good but IMO there is slight improvement in clarity with the P1. The impact of drums is much better. The control in bass and extension is a tad better. The highs are better extended with the P1 also. Its pretty difficult to differentiate the two as I think the stock PS is also well made. By the way, I used iMac+SMSL M8+P1+ Lyr 2 to test it. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #413 of 1,112
  The P1 power supply does indeed get very hot and to protect my M8 and VA2, I have pushed them backwards so they are tilted up with the front edge resting by a couple of millimetres on the back of the P1;  the W6 braided cables are only just long enough to make this possible.  This stops all the heat from the P1 rising up through the other two.

devices.

The sealed case of that power supply definitely does not help for heat dissipation. Drill some holes ... 

Jan 14, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #416 of 1,112
  I did a basic listening test between the regular stock power supply and and the P1. It is indeed difficult to find the difference. Initially, I cannot hear it so I repeatedly switched between the two setup. Both are good but IMO there is slight improvement in clarity with the P1. The impact of drums is much better. The control in bass and extension is a tad better. The highs are better extended with the P1 also. Its pretty difficult to differentiate the two as I think the stock PS is also well made. By the way, I used iMac+SMSL M8+P1+ Lyr 2 to test it. 

Thank you for comparing! There's something to do with clarity definitely.

Jan 16, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #419 of 1,112
Hey everyone.I have a few newbie questions if you don't mind.
 I want to try out DSD & 192/24 Streaming & Downloads.Source is Asus 555L & I use the Windows Media Player with over 1000 songs archived in WMA Lossless & FLAC.
 Is this unit Plug & Play with my setup?I would like to keep DSD Native for playback,any problem with my rig?Is there any advise you can give me on this unit with my gear as to set up or operation?Thanks very much for your replies...​

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #420 of 1,112
  Hey everyone.I have a few newbie questions if you don't mind.
 I want to try out DSD & 192/24 Streaming & Downloads.Source is Asus 555L & I use the Windows Media Player with over 1000 songs archived in WMA Lossless & FLAC.
 Is this unit Plug & Play with my setup?I would like to keep DSD Native for playback,any problem with my rig?Is there any advise you can give me on this unit with my gear as to set up or operation?Thanks very much for your replies...​

Setting this up is pretty easy. Just like adding any regular pc peripheral; install drivers, make sure its setup to output the highest resolution supported by your pc. However, I would suggest getting a better player like Foobar or Jriver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back