New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Dec 21, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #376 of 1,112
Alright, you can get the M8 on massdrop for $150 for the next week. I have a schiit modi 2 for my Sennheiser hd 650's, but nothing for my Vanatoo transparent one speakers. should I pick this up to either replace my schiit, or add it to my vanatoo's?  Or leave my situation as is for now.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #379 of 1,112
  bwcgrx, i've checked all settings - i have exactly the same, but instead of XMOS device i have TUSBaudio ASIO Driver.

I believe that the TUSBaudio ASIO Driver is the third party USB 2.0 audio driver developed by Thesycon.  In theory it should work.

Where did you download the driver as that is not the one that SMSL provides?  It could be that there is an issue with the Thesycon driver and the M8.  I know that there are specific licensing issues regarding use and distribution of the Thesycon driver however I don't know if that would impact installation and useage if you were to procure and install the driver.

You might want to remove the TUSBaudio driver and install the one at the link below from SMSL.  They list the newwest driver as a Windows 10 driver however it works fine under WIndows 8.1 and I would assume Win 7 too.

http://smsl-audio.com/index.php?c=msg&id=1375&

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #380 of 1,112
bwcgrx
Guys on iXbt forum told, that i need latest Tusb drivers and i try those from the same beginning.
When i try genuine M8 drivers - it comes to life! But as i understand this is some kind of "demo" drivers from XMOS? 
It works in DoP, but there's no "Native" mode availale. Does M8 work in Native at all?

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #381 of 1,112
  bwcgrx
Guys on iXbt forum told, that i need latest Tusb drivers and i try those from the same beginning.
When i try genuine M8 drivers - it comes to life! But as i understand this is some kind of "demo" drivers from XMOS? 
It works in DoP, but there's no "Native" mode availale. Does M8 work in Native at all?

Not sure about the demo driver issue.  On the XMOS site they do seem to state that there are production and evaluation drivers.  I would assume that the one offered by SMSL would be production however if it works in the end and there are no limitations on functionality they can call it whatever they want demo or production.  I've seen nothing in using the SMSL driver that would suggest it is anything but fully functional.

The M8 does not support Native playback of DSD at least not yet as I believe a firmware upgrade could make it possible if it were offered.

It is really a mute point however because there is no difference between Native and DOP from the final output perspective.  You are playing a genuine, pure DSD stream with DOP.  It is just being delivered in a PCM container.  When the DAC reads the PCM stream it recognizes the content as DSD not PCM and switches to DSD decoding.  If the DAC did not do this you would either get noise or no sound as all because the DSD stream would not be decodable as PCM.

Some say that the extra overhead of packetizing the DSD stream into PCM creates more work for the PC and DAC.  The additional overhead is however minimal, as it is just header information, for today's computers and I doubt that it effects the final sound quality in the least. 

Ultimately I think the issue is clouded by the fact that some think Native is somehow better than DOP.  Kinda of like how some people think organic food is always better just because it is labeled as such.  In the end you are getting exactly the same data to the DAC so I don't see where native would result in any real world advantage.

Dec 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #382 of 1,112
That's just details.
I think i can't hear any difference even between good flac and dsd stream ,so i'm already happy with this small and nice device! 
Thanks for your kind help!
PS. Waiting for RPi2 and wondering, is it possible to set those drivers in it?

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #384 of 1,112
Well, I'm in for one of these. I had been eying a piece of Schiit for a while, so hopefully I'm not going wrong purchasing this. The good thing is that it's 150 on mass drop, and 250 on eBay right now. I imagine that if I don't like it, I'll be able to sell it back at my cost, maybe even make a buck or 2. (don't judge, poor college student here)

I'm coming from an old Fiio E10 (I think that's what it is) that I'm using the dac section from. Really interested in having a decent dac. Hopefully this is all I'll need till I can afford the yggy.

Dec 26, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #386 of 1,112
Anybody knows if the DAC chip in newer M8 was updated to ESSES9018 from ESSES9018K2M? I keep seeing this statement from M8 descriptions "Update version ESS Technology Sabre Reference 32bit ES9018 DAC chip".

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #390 of 1,112
Hi! Who put this firmware "Update USB SMSL M8 (M8 USB v1.1.bin)" https://yadi.sk/d/B8ITHXD4mdcod
Earned drivers from Thesycon (TUSBaudio)?
For example these:
TUSBaudio 2.23.0 https://yadi.sk/d/9xirNbBXmSY85
TUSBaudio 2.27.0 https://yadi.sk/d/Ks0jqE78kxwx7
There is full control panel, and "ASIO Native DSD (DSD256 including)". On other devices XMOS 8U6C5 works great.
At the "ixbt forum", the user's M8 without firmware, these drivers didn't work - when you try to change settings in the control panel gave an error.
Check if not difficult!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back