New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 9, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #437 of 1,112

M6 uses AK4390EF, M8 uses ES9018. Their parallel line Sanskrit in the latest version uses WM8740 and in Sanskrit PRO-B Ak4490EQ. Four different DAC models using 4 different chips, so it's hard to judge which is their overall philosophy.

I am undecided as to whether to buy the SMSL M8 or the SMSL Sanskrit PRO-B.
I wonder if anyone has both who can give us a comparison?

I see that the AK4390EF is the same chip used here http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/68-768khz32bit-ak4490eq-dac-i2sdsd-input.html​

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #438 of 1,112
  I am undecided as to whether to buy the SMSL M8 or the SMSL Sanskrit PRO-B.
I wonder if anyone has both who can give us a comparison?

I see that the AK4390EF is the same chip used here http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/68-768khz32bit-ak4490eq-dac-i2sdsd-input.html​

Sanskrit PRO-B has a bluetooth function. It probably weights a little bit on the overall price. AK4490 has less digital glare, ES9018 is very detailed with a holographic soundstage, but could sound a little bit analytical. Depends on your headphones pairing, imho M8 for Senns and Audezes, PRO-B for Beyers and AKGs.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #439 of 1,112

I have 3 of SMSL's product and they're all great (m8, p1 and VA2). So I think they really know what they're doing. I think you will never go wrong with either m8 or Sanskrit Pro B. I am also interested to know if its good or not. Looks like its good but I cannot find a review anywhere. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #440 of 1,112
I also own the m8,va2,p1 SMSL combo and they are excellent products in terms of performance regardless of price.

I'm curious as to how the Sanskrit Pro B performs in comparison.  I also have an Aune S16 DAC and it uses an AKM DAC from the same line as used in the Pro B.  It is not an apples to apples comparison however I think the AKM DAC may have a warmer and more spacious overall sound signature vs the more detailed and etched quality of Sabre based m8.  Again the two DACs have entirely different implementations so in such comparisons the DAC chip used only accounts for a portion of the sound presentation and quality.

I can say that if the SMSL m8 combo is any indication then the SMSL Panda stack should be a set outstanding products.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #441 of 1,112

I agree. SMSL is really cranking up great products. like my SMSL stack can stand against any similar gear double its price IMO. I believe there are a lot of SMSL users already out there. That is why I am surprised why there seems to be very little interest online about the Sanskrit line. 

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #442 of 1,112

I agree. SMSL is really cranking up great products. like my SMSL stack can stand against any similar gear double its price IMO. I believe there are a lot of SMSL users already out there. That is why I am surprised why there seems to be very little interest online about the Sanskrit line. 

This is the only review of the SMSL Sanskrit Pro that I could find: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/s-m-s-l-sanskrit-pro-up-to-24-bit177669

- and a review of the whole SMSL Panda stack on the same website: http://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-Panda-System-the-power-of177725

- and finally their review of the SMSL M8 DAC: http://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-M8-reach-up-to-32-bit-384177528 

As I don't own any SMSL products yet, I'm hoping that some M8 owners can read the M8 & Sanskrit Pro B reviews & probably and be in a better position to speculate as to how they both sound / perform in comparison.

I suppose I am looking for clarity, detail and separation from a DAC, as I can always add warmth (if needed) using my tube preamp Schiit Vali 2.  From what has been written by M8 users above, it 'appears' that the M8 is the way to go, but let's hope someone buys a Sanskrit Pro B and can comment.  It appears the the Sanskrit Pro B was released after M8 (but i could be wrong) so you would presume that it 'might be better' (just a guess (which could be wrong)).

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #443 of 1,112
  This is the only review of the SMSL Sanskrit Pro that I could find: http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/s-m-s-l-sanskrit-pro-up-to-24-bit177669

- and a review of the whole SMSL Panda stack on the same website: http://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-Panda-System-the-power-of177725

- and finally their review of the SMSL M8 DAC: http://www.qobuz.com/GB-en/info/Hi-Res-Guide/S-M-S-L-M8-reach-up-to-32-bit-384177528 

As I don't own any SMSL products yet, I'm hoping that some M8 owners can read the M8 & Sanskrit Pro B reviews & probably and be in a better position to speculate as to how they both sound / perform in comparison.

I suppose I am looking for clarity, detail and separation from a DAC, as I can always add warmth (if needed) using my tube preamp Schiit Vali 2.  From what has been written by M8 users above, it 'appears' that the M8 is the way to go, but let's hope someone buys a Sanskrit Pro B and can comment.  It appears the the Sanskrit Pro B was released after M8 (but i could be wrong) so you would presume that it 'might be better' (just a guess (which could be wrong)).

You may want to keep an eye on the SMSL Panda thread started by gugman.  THREAD LINK  He has ordered the Sanskrit Pro B and will have it soon.

I almost ordered the Sanskrit Pro B over the weekend from Amazon Warehousedeals as there was an like new open box unit for $180.  I drug my feet for too long and someone else snagged it.

I doubt you would be disappointed by the M8 as a DAC.  Also, one difference I noticed between the M8 and the Sanskrit Pro.... It appears that the Sanskrit Pro has no informational display other than which input has been selected.  The M8 will indicate the selected input, incoming sample rate, and current digital filter selected.  All the pictures I'm seen of the Sanskrit Pro show no such text display.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #446 of 1,112

i had both modi 2 uber and SMSl m8. both have good qualities but M8 is much better. i sold modi and i still am using my M8 everyday. that should give you an idea. 

Can you specify the "much better" part? Coming from different DAC chips, there could be a difference brightness and overall body. I highly doubt m8 would give a massive improvement though.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #447 of 1,112
  Can you specify the "much better" part? Coming from different DAC chips, there could be a difference brightness and overall body. I highly doubt m8 would give a massive improvement though.

IMO, M8 is more detailed. Less fatiguing. Bass is more controlled. I never had problem with brightness on both. Modi is really smooth but sometimes affects details wherein M8 really shines. Overall, i just liked M8 more. Might not be a lot difference. Might be different for your ears but thats how i heard it though. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #448 of 1,112

IMO, M8 is more detailed. Less fatiguing. Bass is more controlled. I never had problem with brightness on both. Modi is really smooth but sometimes affects details wherein M8 really shines. Overall, i just liked M8 more. Might not be a lot difference. Might be different for your ears but thats how i heard it though. 

I've actually been searching for one for weeks about 2 months ago. Missed every single used postings by hours. M8 is extremely popular locally and I could probably put one up with minimal loss. I will probably give it a try, but their support worries me and I hope M8 doesn't have that typical sabre glare that adds sibilance. Thanks for your comparison.

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #449 of 1,112
  I've actually been searching for one for weeks about 2 months ago. Missed every single used postings by hours. M8 is extremely popular locally and I could probably put one up with minimal loss. I will probably give it a try, but their support worries me and I hope M8 doesn't have that typical sabre glare that adds sibilance. Thanks for your comparison.

Just like any other DAC, it is not perfect. But for its price/performance ratio, you won't go wrong with M8. It will surely beat some DAC twice or 3x its price. It needs burnin though. I tend not to believe on those burnin things, but I experienced it. The M8 is better after at least 50 hours. Even its accompanying, VA 2 amp, It sounds like **** when I first got it that I am about to sell it. I left it on for a few days and when it tried again, OMG, it sounds so good. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #450 of 1,112

Just like any other DAC, it is not perfect. But for its price/performance ratio, you won't go wrong with M8. It will surely beat some DAC twice or 3x its price. It needs burnin though. I tend not to believe on those burnin things, but I experienced it. The M8 is better after at least 50 hours. Even its accompanying, VA 2 amp, It sounds like **** when I first got it that I am about to sell it. I left it on for a few days and when it tried again, OMG, it sounds so good. 

Glad you're enjoying your M8 ^^ 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back