New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #451 of 1,112
  I've actually been searching for one for weeks about 2 months ago. Missed every single used postings by hours. M8 is extremely popular locally and I could probably put one up with minimal loss. I will probably give it a try, but their support worries me and I hope M8 doesn't have that typical sabre glare that adds sibilance. Thanks for your comparison.

Willowbrook... based on my own experience with the M8 I doubt you would notice any glare or sibilance other than what is cooked into the recorded material you are listening to.  Brighter more aggressively mastered material will sound more harsh and sibilant.  I've found the M8 to be detailed and even warm sounding on well mastered material especially when paired with a nice amp like the Gustard H10, Asgard 2, Supreme Sound Lycan just to name those I've used.  I personally have come to the conclusion that the Sabre glare issue is overblown anyway.  I've yet to hear an implementation of a Sabre DAC where the DAC was more to blame for sibilance and glare than either source material or amplification.

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #453 of 1,112
Damn, you guys have me really wanting one. However, I think I'll hold off for now as my budget is limited and I have to upgrade my IEMs. Modi 2U does a good job for me right now. I hope the M8 becomes popular enough to be included in big lists of DACs.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #454 of 1,112
In certain setting, or EMI conditions maybe...the performance is comparable to X20, which is considered one of the best in DAC world.

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #455 of 1,112
I am using the SMSL stack for
about a month now. Very capable combo,and Many have described its capabilities better than I would. This post is about an additional little box I bought. It is Elfidelity USB purifier, bought it more out of curiosity and hope than expectations. Started using it two days earlier.I have found clear perceptible change in music I hear. It is almost like changing a tube in tube amp.Sound separation is more pronounced, vocals are sweet and mellowed treble is not longer shrill or irritatating. On the negative side bass has come down too and now I have to turn Amp snotch higher. Has anyone else used a dongle like this - USB decappifier- and have experienced similar result?

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #456 of 1,112
I am using the SMSL stack for

about a month now. Very capable combo,and Many have described its capabilities better than I would. This post is about an additional little box I bought. It is Elfidelity USB purifier, bought it more out of curiosity and hope than expectations. Started using it two days earlier.I have found clear perceptible change in music I hear. It is almost like changing a tube in tube amp.Sound separation is more pronounced, vocals are sweet and mellowed treble is not longer shrill or irritatating. On the negative side bass has come down too and now I have to turn Amp snotch higher. Has anyone else used a dongle like this - USB decappifier- and have experienced similar result?

Just had to google what the heck is "Elfidelity USB purifier" and how in the world could it change the sound in the digital transfer of USB.
Seems its just a box of bunch of capacitors added for USB's 5V power section?
Besides, Doesnt SMSL products use external power supplies, so maybe the change in the sound is just your imagination?

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #457 of 1,112
Honestly, I too thought the same, till I tried the same song at same volume levels with and without this idiot box. The change is perceptible and positive. Only explanation is steady power has some effect. I am intrigued.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #458 of 1,112
Honestly, I too thought the same, till I tried the same song at same volume levels with and without this idiot box. The change is perceptible and positive. Only explanation is steady power has some effect. I am intrigued.

But the SMSL M8 uses external +9V power supply, not USB's +5V. SMSL VA2 uses external +12V, not USB's +5V.
Not using the USB +5V supply, so only way that "USB box" may change the sound is by wirelessly sending positive energy to the SMSL products. Unless it is filtering the digital data of zeros and 1's more sharper going to the DAC?

Feb 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #459 of 1,112

But the SMSL M8 uses external +9V power supply, not USB's +5V. SMSL VA2 uses external +12V, not USB's +5V.
Not using the USB +5V supply, so only way that "USB box" may change the sound is by wirelessly sending positive energy to the SMSL products. Unless it is filtering the digital data of zeros and 1's more sharper going to the DAC?

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #461 of 1,112
I would like you Google Schiit Pyst and/or Pangea USB cable.You will find many swearing by them to improve USB sound. How could mere cable improve 0s and 1s?

It is the same as when you go to the analyst, if you spend some $$$ you cannot have any benefit... So whem you buy expensive cable ypu always find it beter...
But you nees to have cable with good shielding to prevent RFI "noise" and big enough section  and well soldered / assembled plug..

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #463 of 1,112
You have a valid point. The USB cable that came with this box is one of the best I have seen. Thick and we'll insulated.

But your point on that USB box/cable changing sound in those SMSL products still doesnt make point, even after doing your tests again. Since the SMSL products does not use the USB power line, which your "box" (and/or cable) is "enhanching"/filtering power noise. It only uses the digital data going through the USB. It is digital, it works or it doesnt, it wont alter your sound, it is not analog data. Your devices communicate with 1's and 0's, they understand eachothers either by 1 or 0 and there wont be more round or flat 0, no sharper or taller 1.
It is like buying an expensive HDMI cable for monitor/tv and saying "wow, the colors are so alive and accurate and picture is alot sharper", while that $5 cable is doing the same job.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #464 of 1,112
You have a valid point. The USB cable that came with this box is one of the best I have seen. Thick and we'll insulated.

But your point on that USB box/cable changing sound in those SMSL products still doesnt make point, even after doing your tests again. Since the SMSL products does not use the USB power line, which your "box" (and/or cable) is "enhanching"/filtering power noise. It only uses the digital data going through the USB. It is digital, it works or it doesnt, it wont alter your sound, it is not analog data. Your devices communicate with 1's and 0's, they understand eachothers either by 1 or 0 and there wont be more round or flat 0, no sharper or taller 1.
It is like buying an expensive HDMI cable for monitor/tv and saying "wow, the colors are so alive and accurate and picture is alot sharper", while that $5 cable is doing the same job.
My money is where my mouth is, you can choose to disbelieve, no problem. On the point of USB digital signal to Dac, here is a link to review , of similar Schiit product: https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/09/schiit-wyrd-usb-decrapifier-review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back