New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 19, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #481 of 1,112

Does anyone know where the SMSL M8 is shipped from if you order it through MD?

As far as I understand, they collect the mass order in US, and ship from there individually. This time I've pulled the trigger, joining the drop 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #483 of 1,112
  As far as I understand, they collect the mass order in US, and ship from there individually. This time I've pulled the trigger, joining the drop 
smily_headphones1.gif

My country just changed the regulation in December for customs fee that if value of goods is under $150, it is tax free. Surprisingly, M8 is 149.99 haha I guess it's a sign for me to join this drop.

Feb 19, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #484 of 1,112
This French site reviewed and definitely recommended the P1, if you can translate it:
http://culturehd.com/hifi/smsl-m8-le-champion-des-mini-dac_9429

I have the whole M8 stack and I notice a definite improvement - richer, better soundstage. You need good headphones. The P1 also improves the VA2 amp - probably to a greater extent than the M8. But even without the VA2, I notice a definite improvement from the P1 .

Also, if you are using the W6 cable that sometimes comes with the stack, you might think about replacing it with silver or silver-plated interconnects to hear improvement from the P1. The W6 is a good cable, but seems to cut off the top end of the sound way too much. I have home-made silver-plated interconnects that are much clearer and richer, and I'm in the process of making pure silver ICs. Short length, so not too expensive.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #485 of 1,112
Some links I found on MD.
http://www.musicservertips.com/product-reviews/smsl-m8-dac/
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/s-m-s-l-m8-reach-up-to-32-bit-384177528
http://culturehd.com/hifi/smsl-m8-le-champion-des-mini-dac_9429

Feb 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #489 of 1,112
Bit the bullet and joined the current drop for this rather than opting for an ODAC. 

This is going to replace my AudioEngine D1 as the volume controls when I use the unit with my O2 amp get screwed up and get very annoying. Crossing my fingers that i didn't just shoot my wallet in the foot for nothing.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #490 of 1,112
  Anyone have a comparison to the Sanskirt 6th gen? 

I have Sanskrit 6th, and just ordered M8, so comparative review coming soon 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
  Joined the drop! I look forward to comparing it to my Modi 2U myself. Waiting for a month is going to be a pain
frown.gif

Looking forward to your impressions. I sold my Modi2U, and have as well long waiting for M8 ahead. It's difficult to compare from the memory, so am curious to hear your thoughts once you have them side by side.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #492 of 1,112
Can you compare the modi 2u to the sanskrit 6? Thanks

Modi2u sounded too bright to my ears, in combination with Magni2U often annoyingly sibilant. There was a brilliance and plenty of details, but I couldn't listen for long without fatiguing my ears. Also the soundstage was congested, and sometimes the high strings in orchestral music sounded a little bit too shiny.
Sanskrit6 is more spacious, more relaxed, more laid back, smooth, and has probably the deepest bass you can get in this price range, courtesy of WM8740. It is a little bit veiled in the treble, especially if you compare it with Modi2U, but overall it is much more pleasure to listen to. I can put my headphones and listen for hours, forgetting about the time. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #493 of 1,112
Modi2u sounded too bright to my ears, in combination with Magni2U often annoyingly sibilant. There was a brilliance and plenty of details, but I couldn't listen for long without fatiguing my ears. Also the soundstage was congested, and sometimes the high strings in orchestral music sounded a little bit too shiny.
Sanskrit6 is more spacious, more relaxed, more laid back, smooth, and has probably the deepest bass you can get in this price range, courtesy of WM8740. It is a little bit veiled in the treble, especially if you compare it with Modi2U, but overall it is much more pleasure to listen to. I can put my headphones and listen for hours, forgetting about the time. 

Thanks for that comparison. I recently got the modi2u and also noticed it being a lot brighter and harsh. Didn't work well with my he400 which are already bright to begin with.

To bad I missed out on the drop. This would have been a good price to get it at. I was originally going to take the plunge on getting a bifrost but have been looking for alternatives. My current setup I have a lyr and listen to flac on foobar and Spotify premium on my win10 pc.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #495 of 1,112
Hi guys, does anyone know how the SMSL stack (m8,va2, p1) compares with the sound blaster creative x7? Also, has anyone tried smsl after sale support or warranty as i have seen some people claiming that the after sale support is appalling. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back