New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #511 of 1,112
  I got a lemon...it creates a audible hum when playing low frequency.

Tried everything, including:
optical input, different computers(different OS too), different USB ports, different power plugs, different computer volume(which should always be set to max anyways), different filter, and even different headphones. Nothing worked. Hopefully Massdrop will offer a refund. 

The question is:
Is it worth buying another unit? Does it actually offer 124snr it claims? If it doesn't, the AK Jr. I have provides solid 1.9vRm output with 114snr(not spec wise, but from RMAA), which is pretty hard to beat.

I've bought many SMSL items and sadly sample quality is *highly* variable, my own M8 works fine as does my VA2 amp except that the LED died in the first week, but other SMSL components of mine have been faulty at birth (dead usb input on pre-Sanskrit DAC) or died after time (Sanskrit DAC).

The SMSL specs are based on measurements the THD+N which is a good indicator is at about -107db, noise alone is lower at better than -120db at 1Khz but the difference between -120 and -110 is kinda moot as both levels of noise should be wholly inaudible in normal use and certainly phones/speakers will normally add substantially more noise/distortion than the DAC alone. That said it's hard to recommend SMSL on  QC grounds unless I am an unlucky coin...

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #512 of 1,112

I've bought many SMSL items and sadly sample quality is *highly* variable, my own M8 works fine as does my VA2 amp except that the LED died in the first week, but other SMSL components of mine have been faulty at birth (dead usb input on pre-Sanskrit DAC) or died after time (Sanskrit DAC).

The SMSL specs are based on measurements the THD+N which is a good indicator is at about -107db, noise alone is lower at better than -120db at 1Khz but the difference between -120 and -110 is kinda moot as both levels of noise should be wholly inaudible in normal use and certainly phones/speakers will normally add substantially more noise/distortion than the DAC alone. That said it's hard to recommend SMSL on  QC grounds unless I am an unlucky coin...

On the bright side, Massdrop has been easy to deal with, which is nice. They did say that it could take weeks for an replacement from SMSL, if I wanted one. So I decided to go for a refund. I'll be mailing my M8 back to their warehouse this Wednesday.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #513 of 1,112
Hello community.
My M8 don't recognized by PC anymore.
I even can't reinstall drivers, because device must be canbected/reconnected but my M8 can't be seen by PC.
Maybe soneobe knows, what can be wrong?

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #521 of 1,112
Hello community.
My M8 don't recognized by PC anymore.
I even can't reinstall drivers, because device must be canbected/reconnected but my M8 can't be seen by PC.
Maybe soneobe knows, what can be wrong?

Do you use the original usb cable and the original 9v power supply ?
Once you power it Left button. can you also check if you are in usb mode using the button on the right of the mini screen indication is top right.
What is your pc OS ?
if it is windows 10, you can try the valuation version from xmos : http://www.xmos.com/published/usb-audio-class-20-evaluation-driver-windows?version=latest

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #522 of 1,112
hpamdreverything worked yesterday, and became dead today! Literally.
All was set and played dsd, i know how to operate it and how to connect! This is faulty device case, not the misuse one.
PC Win 8.1 Pro, M8 powered by SMSL P1, original USB cable.
Need to get rid of that crap and buy something more reliable! 
Yes, yhis thing works, when it works. It's beautyful and shiny, but... Dac for over 200$ does not have optical usb insulation!? This is ridiculous! Cheap noame dacs have - this fancy - no! Facepalm.
I'll let you know eventually how it ends.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #523 of 1,112
hpamdr
everything worked yesterday, and became dead today! Literally.

All was set and played dsd, i know how to operate it and how to connect! This is faulty device case, not the misuse one.

PC Win 8.1 Pro, M8 powered by SMSL P1, original USB cable.

Need to get rid of that crap and buy something more reliable! 

Yes, yhis thing works, when it works. It's beautyful and shiny, but... Dac for over 200$ does not have optical usb insulation!? This is ridiculous! Cheap noame dacs have - this fancy - no! Facepalm.

I'll let you know eventually how it ends.

I hope your problem gets solved. As long as you have warranty, it should be fine.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #525 of 1,112
  Did firmware update... Why won't it display files that are higher format than 44.1kHz?  Is it playing 44.1 or 196 but just doesn't display as 196?

if it is not on front screen, it is  not playing at the requested bitrate (verify on the xmos driver pannel). Check also if your player is using asio and do not resample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back