New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,021 of 2,354
Quote:
Been wanting to post this:

I have recently acquired the new iPad 4 and running a 3.5mm interconnect cable its headphone out jack to the UHA6SMKII easily beats the sound of feeding a USB/Coax digital signal into the UHA6SMKII. I certainly don't feel like I am losing anything when compared to using the iBasso DX100 and the iPad 4's content management and battery life is way better - I had my iPad playing music continuously for 3 full days and its battery still shows 69%.

I really don't see the need for a CCK anymore on the new iPad and the fact that they have changed the dock to the lightning dock doesn't really matter anymore.

You never tried the DX100 on 1.1.7 and 1.2.7 :wink:. Big difference from the earlier firmwares. You wouldn't even know you were listening to the same device if done side by side.

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #1,023 of 2,354
Quote:
I would hope the dx100 sounds way better than an ipad! So very very expensive.
rolleyes.gif

Actually and ipad is also very expensive lol. What apple product isn't?

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,024 of 2,354
Quote:
You never tried the DX100 on 1.1.7 and 1.2.7 :wink:. Big difference from the earlier firmwares. You wouldn't even know you were listening to the same device if done side by side.

So the firmware changed the frequency response? 

Nov 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,025 of 2,354
Quote:

So the firmware changed the frequency response? 

It changed the sound of the player. I'm not sure regarding the frequency response. There's more to the picture than what a graph will tell you. It has always been that way. Actually I want to run some RMAA tests on it along on the new Studio V to put the trolls to rest. I got it set up on my X-Fi card and even did a proper RMAA test on the Card. Everything came back as excellent and very good so things seem ok on the card. But I can't figure out how to do a proper test on the DAPs. I keep getting imbalance in left and right channel and cant get a steady signal for optimal results. I'm not sure if I have to use some sort of recording that is made to properly do the tests and playback this particular recording on the mp3 players while plugged into the sound card?

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,026 of 2,354
Quote:
It changed the sound of the player. I'm not sure regarding the frequency response. There's more to the picture than what a graph will tell you. It has always been that way. Actually I want to run some RMAA tests on it along on the new Studio V to put the trolls to rest. I got it set up on my X-Fi card and even did a proper RMAA test on the Card. Everything came back as excellent and very good so things seem ok on the card. But I can't figure out how to do a proper test on the DAPs. I keep getting imbalance in left and right channel and cant get a steady signal for optimal results. I'm not sure if I have to use some sort of recording that is made to properly do the tests and playback this particular recording on the mp3 players while plugged into the sound card?

If you dropped a line to the people on anythingbutipod they could probably instruct you how to do it or maybe even measure it for you if you're willing to send it to them.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,027 of 2,354
Quote:
If you dropped a line to the people on anythingbutipod they could probably instruct you how to do it or maybe even measure it for you if you're willing to send it to them.

Nah I'd rather do it myself. I have a capable sound card as is. Just need some directions on how to apply it to the DAPs and I can do it from home. The DX100 measures flat so as long as I get a measurement like that I should be able to apply it to the rest of my DAPs.

Here's a screen shot of the results on my X-Fi Titanium Card.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #1,028 of 2,354
so looks like everyone here is in agreement that we would like Nick to let his creativity loose and create a monster Leckerton DAC/amp combo. If I was to message Nick and invite him here to chat with us on the thread would that be breaking the Head-Fi rules?

Currawong if you're around could you maybe answer that question for us?

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,029 of 2,354
Quote:
PCM2706 is in the UHA-4, not the 6.

It's definitely in the 6. I've opened it up to have a look. 

Quote:
I've emailed him before about my interest in an iOS compatable uha-6 or better. The current model is already compatible with the S3 and UTG or hackashop (sp?) cable. I'm not sure what his interest level is though. Maybe if more requested it...

You have to sacrifice not just a goat, but a whole zoo to Apple to have them allow you to get digital from an iDevice via a docking cable.

Quote:
so looks like everyone here is in agreement that we would like Nick to let his creativity loose and create a monster Leckerton DAC/amp combo. If I was to message Nick and invite him here to chat with us on the thread would that be breaking the Head-Fi rules?

Currawong if you're around could you maybe answer that question for us?

Nick can answer direct questions. The things a Member of the Trade cannot do is basically anything that might remotely be self-promotional, such as posting about how his products sound of information about future products. See the Terms of Service for more info.

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #1,030 of 2,354
Quote:

It's definitely in the 6. I've opened it up to have a look. 

You have to sacrifice not just a goat, but a whole zoo to Apple to have them allow you to get digital from an iDevice via a docking cable.

Nick can answer direct questions. The things a Member of the Trade cannot do is basically anything that might remotely be self-promotional, such as posting about how his products sound of information about future products. See the Terms of Service for more info.

I actually talked with Nick and convinced him to create an account here on headfi. I told him it would be in his best interest and benefit his potential customers on headfi if he has an account so he can defend himself. Since it seems there is a problem via communications on his website (seems emails aren't getting through to some or it's going to spam mail).

I thought the UHA6 MKII used Cirrus Logics flagship DAC?

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,033 of 2,354
Quote:
I actually talked with Nick and convinced him to create an account here on headfi. I told him it would be in his best interest and benefit his potential customers on headfi if he has an account so he can defend himself. Since it seems there is a problem via communications on his website (seems emails aren't getting through to some or it's going to spam mail).

Good move, every time I've emailed him I've gotten a response from him save one time when I emailed about release dates for his amps.

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #1,034 of 2,354
Quote:

For an iPad 4 that is not designed for audio to sound that good already speaks much about it. Sure I have not heard the DX100 with the newer firmware but the iPad 4 is really a force to be reckon with. Who knows how it will fare against the DX100 with the newer firmware? =)

I didn't buy it to listen to songs or watch movies so that accidental discovery came as an amazement to me.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,035 of 2,354
Quote:
Quote:

It uses the CS4398 which I believe is the Cirrus Logic flagship DAC.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s-mkii/

Look under summary.

You're right, I was thinking of the USB receiver, which is the main weak point in the design (though he chose it to be compatible with the iPad CCK). That's a PCM2706. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back