New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #1,007 of 2,354
Good to see this amp is finally getting some Head-Fi love. Since I first got my UHA-4 I've always thought that Leckerton was an underrated company that deserved a little more attention.

So guys, just a general idea I thought I'd throw up against the wall and see if it would stick. Do you guys think if we started a petition asking Nick Leckerton to come out with a mobile DAC he might give it some thought? I was thinking something that would be both Android and iOS friendly as well as laptop/Mac friendly. At the very least maybe he would consider making a MKIII all in one with a top notch DAC to match the amp section that would accept digital out from iPod or an Android handset. What do you guys think?

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,008 of 2,354
I've emailed him before about my interest in an iOS compatable uha-6 or better. The current model is already compatible with the S3 and UTG or hackashop (sp?) cable. I'm not sure what his interest level is though. Maybe if more requested it...

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #1,009 of 2,354
Well the price will probably go up due to Apple hardware control plus the upgraded DAC but I'm guessing if we could convince him there is enough people out there that would be interested enough to pay the added premium he might devote some time to the project. Seriously, considering what the 6S MKII can do for 275 bones I'm curious what Nick could accomplish in a 400 to 500 price bracket. I'd love to see a Leckerton amp that could punch it out with the top tier big boys like the L3, RX MKIII or the Portaphile 627

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #1,011 of 2,354
Nov 29, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,013 of 2,354
Quote:
Just got mine. The DAC is obviously basic (the PCM2706 is an old USB receiver and DAC and isn't particularly good compared to what is available nowadays). The amp section is excellent, however, especially considering that one can fine tune it to suit with various OPAMPs. It has a lovely dead black background with my Sony XBA-3s (using the line in).

I got mine today as well 
biggrin.gif
  Pairing UHA-6S MKII with my iMod as a source.
From this price, you can't ask much for its DAC section. Even though the DAC is not as good as other DAC that is in a higher price range, It's still affordable comparing other DAC/AMP combo available in the market.
The best advantage of this unit is the dead silence background. It's just amazing for IEM's.

iMod + UHA-6S Mkii user here too. Great combo.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,014 of 2,354
Quote:
So guys, just a general idea I thought I'd throw up against the wall and see if it would stick. Do you guys think if we started a petition asking Nick Leckerton to come out with a mobile DAC he might give it some thought? I was thinking something that would be both Android and iOS friendly as well as laptop/Mac friendly. At the very least maybe he would consider making a MKIII all in one with a top notch DAC to match the amp section that would accept digital out from iPod or an Android handset. What do you guys think?

Definitely interested. Should not be in the 'money does not matter'-category though and I don't think that clip-on (a la VAMP) is such a good idea as its tied to a specific platform (and even generation). The DAC is OK for me, it would just be nice to be able to feed it directly from an iPhone...

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #1,015 of 2,354
Quote:

Definitely interested. Should not be in the 'money does not matter'-category though and I don't think that clip-on (a la VAMP) is such a good idea as its tied to a specific platform (and even generation). The DAC is OK for me, it would just be nice to be able to feed it directly from an iPhone...

You can if its jail-broken. Pretty much the limitation is due to apples software, not the UHA6 itself. It works as is on the ipad.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #1,016 of 2,354
Yes, I know... and I already tested the connection via CCK -- very nice :)
I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone as I use it as a development device... so I'd prefer a licensed solution. It is not of real importance to me, but would be nice to have nevertheless. Most of the times when the iPhone is my only source I'm on the go, so I would not use any composite solutions anyway, just straight out of the device itself.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,017 of 2,354
Wouldn't this whole discussion be over if there was a small digital out for i-devices that conveniently decoded so that it could feed any DAC on the market?
Is there anything like that?

The idea would be something like:

ipod -> convenient decoder with "LOD cable size" -> any dac of your choice

istead of

ipod -> i-device compatible dac

I'm not a apple fan, mainly due their inflated prices and their position about being close in theirself, personaly I don't own any i-devices.
Still, it's important because far too many people use them as their primary DAP on the go.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #1,018 of 2,354
Quote:
Good to see this amp is finally getting some Head-Fi love. Since I first got my UHA-4 I've always thought that Leckerton was an underrated company that deserved a little more attention.

I'd love this.  Something like the UHA-6S able to take a direct digital signal from, for me, a Touch would be perfect.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,019 of 2,354
Been wanting to post this:

I have recently acquired the new iPad 4 and running a 3.5mm interconnect cable its headphone out jack to the UHA6SMKII easily beats the sound of feeding a USB/Coax digital signal into the UHA6SMKII. I certainly don't feel like I am losing anything when compared to using the iBasso DX100 and the iPad 4's content management and battery life is way better - I had my iPad playing music continuously for 3 full days and its battery still shows 69%.

I really don't see the need for a CCK anymore on the new iPad and the fact that they have changed the dock to the lightning dock doesn't really matter anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back