New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #1,051 of 2,354
Well from what you had posted earlier I gathered it was in relations to the headphones having a 100 ohms impedance to be suitable with Op Amp 8610. If that is the case you couldn't be further from the truth as I feel Op Amp 8610 is the best out of all 3 sets I've tried (209 and 627AP).

No I'm not saying that because I have no idea what it means haha. I'm putting it out there for someone in the field to address it.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,052 of 2,354
I say your best bet is to contact Nick since he designed the amp. I also wouldn't worry about it not fairing well with Sensitive IEMs because in reality that is where it excels at.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,053 of 2,354
Quote:
I'd like to know what source impedance refers to, the headphone, the usb input, or the output impedance of the amp itself. You think it's the output impedance of the amp? Maybe Nick can explain. What's his handle?

Source impedance refers to the output impedance of whatever is immediately upstream from the item being described.

From the perspective of the Leckerton's op-amp, this would be either the DAC's analog output stage or whatever device is connected to the amp's analog input (eg, an iPod through a LOD).

A somewhat misleading but not entirely wrong way of thinking about it: When you have a run of wire with something sending signal to something else, there are two impedance values: The output impedance of the thing upstream, and the input impedance of the thing downstream. So, eg, when your headphones are plugged into an amp, the amp has an output impedance value, and the headphones have an input impedance value. Keeping in mind that in most cases these are not fixed values: In particular, passive transducers (eg, the driver in your headphone) usually have an impedance that varies with frequency. It's not unusual and not necessarily bad for source components (DAC, turntable, tuner) to have output impedances in the hundreds or thousands of ohm when they feed into active stages (preamplifier, amp). To the extent damping factor is relevant at all, it's going to be relevant at the final output stage before the passive device, which can't compensate for the characteristics of the device upstream.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #1,055 of 2,354
Yes, with the 'charge' switch off the amp uses its own battery.

Another thing: just noticed there is already a cable for a 'Lightning to USB Camera' connection. Did anyone try to connect the Leckerton to a new iPad (4 or Mini) with that connector? The iPhone does not recognize the cable (as with the old CCK) and my Mini has not arrived yet...

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #1,057 of 2,354
Quote:
Yes, with the 'charge' switch off the amp uses its own battery.

Another thing: just noticed there is already a cable for a 'Lightning to USB Camera' connection. Did anyone try to connect the Leckerton to a new iPad (4 or Mini) with that connector? The iPhone does not recognize the cable (as with the old CCK) and my Mini has not arrived yet...

Yes it's been done already on the ipad and if you jailbreak your phone or ipod. At least on an iphone4 with success with the Leckerton.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #1,058 of 2,354
Yes it's been done already on the ipad and if you jailbreak your phone or ipod. At least on an iphone4 with success with the Leckerton.

This is good to know as I was gonna get the classic but I might grab a touch. Is there any advantage from using the classic or touch besides space?

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,059 of 2,354
Quote:
This is good to know as I was gonna get the classic but I might grab a touch. Is there any advantage from using the classic or touch besides space?

I would think only space would be the advantage which is a big one for me so I'd go for the Classic in that case. I don't think the ipod has the ability to change its signal in the digital domain so the LO shouldn't be altered. Then again I heard from someone who did the jailbreak that the sound was a bit different when compared to the original software. I'm not so sure if this was via LOD or through the HO. I'd be more inclined to think through the HO but who knows?

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,060 of 2,354
I tried the jailbreak on my iPod Touch 3rd Gen and my LOD became next to useless. I had to do a complete wipe and restore to get the LOD working again. I emailed the developer about the problem multiple times and got no response. So much for the jailbreak community being helpful and honest.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #1,061 of 2,354
Quote:
I would think only space would be the advantage which is a big one for me so I'd go for the Classic in that case. I don't think the ipod has the ability to change its signal in the digital domain so the LO shouldn't be altered. Then again I heard from someone who did the jailbreak that the sound was a bit different when compared to the original software. I'm not so sure if this was via LOD or through the HO. I'd be more inclined to think through the HO but who knows?

Yea I'm thinking classic, they need to move to SSD's but at a reasonable price.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #1,063 of 2,354
Quote:

Yes, with the old 30pin connector and the CCK. My question was more about the new Lightning to USB-Camera adapter recently released by Apple. My iPad Mini is not yet here so I have the connector ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter ) but cannot try it out... the iPhone 5 gives the same error message as the old one with the CCK.

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #1,064 of 2,354
Quote:

Yes, with the old 30pin connector and the CCK. My question was more about the new Lightning to USB-Camera adapter recently released by Apple. My iPad Mini is not yet here so I have the connector ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter ) but cannot try it out... the iPhone 5 gives the same error message as the old one with the CCK.

Yeah I'm not so sure about the new connector. I've heard it's a fail on that but I could be wrong. Apple and there stupid connectors. I say if it ain't broken don't fix it. Most likely just a cash grab as usual.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #1,065 of 2,354
Quote:
Yeah I'm not so sure about the new connector. I've heard it's a fail on that but I could be wrong. Apple and there stupid connectors. I say if it ain't broken don't fix it. Most likely just a cash grab as usual.
rolleyes.gif

well at least the ipod classics are still the 30 pin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back