New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #811 of 2,354
in response to #788 ...nice !

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #812 of 2,354
I just got mine in the mail, and first impressions are very good. This thing easily sounds at least as good as (if not better than) my desktop setup. Dynamics and clarity are top notch. It can drive both my multi-BA IEM's and my full-sizes to good volumes hiss-free (expect as described below). Definitely one of those "Wow" moments we encounter once in a while in this hobby. Pretty impressive. 

BUT I noticed that if I feed it with a coax S/PDIF signal, then cut the signal, a pretty loud hiss sound comes through the headphone output. I noticed this when using my Cowon D3's coax output, because when you pause music on the D3, it stops sending any audio signal. After about 2 seconds, the hiss begins, which defeats the purpose of pausing the music for quiet in the first place.

I confirmed that it's not my DAP by trying the S/PDIF out of my cable box. If I unplug the coax cable from the source, the hiss begins again. In both cases, if I unplug the cable from the Leckerton, the hiss stops. I also confirmed it's not my headphones by trying it with multiple sets. Oddly, if a source is plugged in with no signal, there is no hiss until a signal is sent and then ended...

No such issues with the optical or analog inputs. Could I have a defective unit maybe? It'd be a shame if this is a limitation of the Leckerton because this thing rocks my socks otherwise. I have emailed Leckerton about it, but was hoping y'all could give more insight. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #813 of 2,354
Quote:
I just got mine in the mail, and first impressions are very good. This thing easily sounds at least as good as (if not better than) my desktop setup. Dynamics and clarity are top notch. It can drive both my multi-BA IEM's and my full-sizes to good volumes hiss-free (expect as described below). Definitely one of those "Wow" moments we encounter once in a while in this hobby. Pretty impressive. 

BUT I noticed that if I feed it with a coax S/PDIF signal, then cut the signal, a pretty loud hiss sound comes through the headphone output. I noticed this when using my Cowon D3's coax output, because when you pause music on the D3, it stops sending any audio signal. After about 2 seconds, the hiss begins, which defeats the purpose of pausing the music for quiet in the first place.

I confirmed that it's not my DAP by trying the S/PDIF out of my cable box. If I unplug the coax cable from the source, the hiss begins again. In both cases, if I unplug the cable from the Leckerton, the hiss stops. I also confirmed it's not my headphones by trying it with multiple sets. Oddly, if a source is plugged in with no signal, there is no hiss until a signal is sent and then ended...

No such issues with the optical or analog inputs. Could I have a defective unit maybe? It'd be a shame if this is a limitation of the Leckerton because this thing rocks my socks otherwise. I have emailed Leckerton about it, but was hoping y'all could give more insight. 

The more I read things like this, the more I make my mind to get one for myself. How good does it sound as a combo (I hear a lot of praises about the amp section, but since I would mostly use it as a full dac/amp combo, I would like to know).

I searched about the cowon D3, I haven't seen the coax output, only the spec that it supports it, do you have any picture with it's digital output to the leckerton?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #814 of 2,354
Quote:

The more I read things like this, the more I make my mind to get one for myself. How good does it sound as a combo (I hear a lot of praises about the amp section, but since I would mostly use it as a full dac/amp combo, I would like to know).

I searched about the cowon D3, I haven't seen the coax output, only the spec that it supports it, do you have any picture with it's digital output to the leckerton?

This is the A/V cable for the Cown D3, the orange cable is coax digital audio.

I modified it rather poorly, but it works. 

The DAC section, while I am not experienced that in high end DAC's, I'd say is pretty good. I'll just say this: some people claim that Cowon players headphone out measure as good as a line-level output. When I compared digital out vs headphone out (to use the Cowon's DAC) to the Leckerton, it was a pretty noticeable difference. Enough so that I think I'm willing to just live with the hiss-while-paused problem I described - if mine is in fact not defective, and that is just how the Leckertons work. I haven't any "true" line-level portable source to compare it to. 

Also, when I say that it can drive all my full-sized headphones, keep in mind that my hardest-to-drive pair are Denon D5000's.  

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #815 of 2,354
Quote:

This is the A/V cable for the Cown D3, the orange cable is coax digital audio.

I modified it rather poorly, but it works. 

The DAC section, while I am not experienced that in high end DAC's, I'd say is pretty good. I'll just say this: some people claim that Cowon players headphone out measure as good as a line-level output. When I compared digital out vs headphone out (to use the Cowon's DAC) to the Leckerton, it was a pretty noticeable difference. Enough so that I think I'm willing to just live with the hiss-while-paused problem I described - if mine is in fact not defective, and that is just how the Leckertons work. I haven't any "true" line-level portable source to compare it to. 

Also, when I say that it can drive all my full-sized headphones, keep in mind that my hardest-to-drive pair are Denon D5000's.  

That's one nice brick ^^

Just kidding,

Let me be sure, you just cutted off everything uncessary from the cable and left just what is realy important with a decent lenght, right?

My objective was to use the leckerton as an upgrade from my fiio e7, if possible better than the galaxy S player (which as far as I could find is almost equal to a fiio e17, if voodoo'ed as in my case). I use it with laptops in my grampa's house and at work, and I pass a lot of time out from home, so I wanted something to play my music, and I don't want to relly 100% on the DAP.

I first considered the e17, but after reading that it's about the same as the galaxy S player, I gave up the idea, and than started to search for higher end dac/amp, from ibasso, PD, headamp.... and almost died when I found I would be spending something like US$ 500+ and I almost accepting that was no midground, but, then, I found this, it fits my pocket and I think it fills the role I need.

While not used with a pc, it would be used with a fuze + lod cable, so it would be fairly used.

Thanks for the info. I was curious about a player with digital output which is not i-propriety nor high-budget, and it's nice to see that there is indeed one(I read about the iRiver H100 and the kind, but they seem to be discontinued).

Edit:

I also don't have anything horrible to drive, the most dificult I have is the DT880-250 ohms, which for my surprise, is easier to driver than I imagined.

P.S.:

Which razer keybord is that on the back of the picture?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #816 of 2,354
Quote:
P.S.:

i am sure it is like mine :p the black widow! everyone's favorite <3

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #817 of 2,354
Quote:
i am sure it is like mine :p the black widow! everyone's favorite <3

^+1

I have a blackwidow too.

It's simple too comfortable to type in a mechanical keyboard.
I was thinking to buy something like this to work:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

It's classier than the razer, and it's possible to customize for other languages by altering the printing layout.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #818 of 2,354
Quote:

That's one nice brick ^^

Just kidding,

Let me be sure, you just cutted off everything uncessary from the cable and left just what is realy important with a decent lenght, right?

P.S.:

Yup, that's right. I basically just cut the extra cables. I did have to resolder the orange conductor and cover it with shrink wrap and electrical tape, though.

It's definitely a Razer Black Widow. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #819 of 2,354
@jhelsas: I think you'd struggle to do better than this in the middle ground between the E17 and the $500+ units like the Apex/Pico/Intruder etc.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #820 of 2,354
Quote:
@jhelsas: I think you'd struggle to do better than this in the middle ground between the E17 and the $500+ units like the Apex/Pico/Intruder etc.

Dear NZtechfreak

You have the headamp pico dac/amp and the RSA intruder, how does the leckerton compares with the 2(as an dac/amp combo, not just as an amp)?

I was considering to spend more on a portable set but then I wouldn't have money to update my desktop setup. If the leckerton fares close to them, for me, now, there is little point on spending more on a portable dac/amp. Maybe in the future, but not now.

As far as I can see, the leckerton is my best choice now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #821 of 2,354
Quote:
 Dear NZtechfreak

You have the headamp pico dac/amp and the RSA intruder, how does the leckerton compares with the 2(as an dac/amp combo, not just as an amp)?

I was considering to spend more on a portable set but then I wouldn't have money to update my desktop setup. If the leckerton fares close to them, for me, now, there is little point on spending more on a portable dac/amp. Maybe in the future, but not now.

As far as I can see, the leckerton is my best choice now.

I find the Leckerton to be better than the Pico Amp/Dac. No experience with the RSA intruder.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #823 of 2,354
Quote:
how does the leckerton compare to the predator?

Hmm not so sure haven't heard the predator. I've heard the Hornet and the UHA6 MKII crushed it like a bug. Keep in mind the Hornet goes for $370.00. Same with my T1 amp, it also crushed it. These amps hit above the $500 range IMO :).

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #824 of 2,354
Quote:

I find the Leckerton to be better than the Pico Amp/Dac. No experience with the RSA intruder.

Quote:
I like my uha-6s-mkii better than my RSA Predator.
gs1000.gif

Quote:
The UHA6 MKII is superior to my DX100 amp. At least from what I have been told the DX100 amp is superior to the D12.

Quote:

I have the UHA-6S (first generation) and the RSA SR-71B. I can't honestly say either is better: I consider them peers, sonically. They sound different because they were designed with different goals in mind. Each has their own strengths with different music and equipment.

Considering the Leckerton is half the price of the RSA and also includes a DAC, I think it's a stone cold deal.

@ uelover
    Thanks for your impressions

I think this sums it up:
Quote:
Hmm not so sure haven't heard the predator. I've heard the Hornet and the UHA6 MKII crushed it like a bug. Keep in mind the Hornet goes for $370.00. Same with my T1 amp, it also crushed it. These amps hit above the $500 range IMO :).

I still want to know about UHA-6S mkii vs Intruder

Do anyone know if it's decent enough to use something like usb -> uha-6S mkii (headphone output as an line-out) -> integrated amp/speakers ?

quoting leckerton website:

"
True ground audio reference. With bipolar voltage rails at +/-6 VDC, there is no need for an output ground buffer which can cause additional output distortion and other audio artifacts. This also allows the UHA-6S.MKII to be used as a low-noise DAC/preamp into a line input such as an A/V receiver. Additionally, there are no DC-blocking capacitors in the signal path, which can cause harmonic distortion.
"

I wanted to know had any first hand operation in this kind of setput, since it doesn't have a direct line-out from the dac.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #825 of 2,354
so the leckerton crushed the predator is what youve heard?  costing mush less, i'm happy to hear that.  although, the predator still looks much, much slicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back