New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 14, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #781 of 2,354
I can't take credit for the case idea, I think it was Kojaku who showed some pictures of his portable rig using that idea. Very tidy solution with the Hakshop single-cable solution.

I wish you well in your efforts to smooth over another purchase with your significant other!

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #782 of 2,354
Quote:
Can't fight that logic, I've already gotten the IC Puller for yanking the op amps so I might as well get a nice small fit kit together. Hmphhh THIS doesn't look to bad. What do you guys think?

great looking and functional tool... much better than my needle-nose pliers.... I gave up rolling my iBasso P4 Warbler....maybe I will go back with this tool.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #783 of 2,354
If you guys are looking into velcro you might also want to look into 3M dual lock. There's tons of the stuff on sale on eBay for cheap and it's better then velcro in that once you lock your rig together it stays locked together.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #784 of 2,354
If you guys are looking into velcro you might all want to look into 3M dual lock. There's tons of the stuff on sale on eBay for cheap and it's better then velcro in that once you lock your rig together it stays locked together.

Agreed.. the dual lock tape is awesome (thanks to shotgunshane who also recommended it to me way back when).  Two object won't sit as flush as they would with velcro or doublesided tape since we're takling about plastic 'teeth' that grip (expect about 4mm of space between the Leckerton & a DAP).. but the durability (i.e. effectiveness of repeated attachment/separation cycles) & strength of velcro & doublesided tape pales in comparison to the wonderfully secure grip the 3M dual lock provides.

I use it to secure the ODAC to my O2 (as well as my XBOX 360's Kinect motion sensor to the top edge of my HDTV) & it works really well.  Can't imaging using anything else.  Due to the strength of the dual lock's teeth, not much 'tape' is required to get a strong bind, as well (it'll be low profile).

Tyll's hip to it.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #785 of 2,354
Agreed.. the dual lock tape is awesome (thanks to shotgunshane who also recommended it to me way back when).  Two object won't sit as flush as they would with velcro or doublesided tape since we're takling about plastic 'teeth' that grip (expect about 4mm of space between the Leckerton & a DAP).. but the durability (i.e. effectiveness of repeated attachment/separation cycles) & strength of velcro & doublesided tape pales in comparison to the wonderfully secure grip the 3M dual lock provides.

I use it to secure the ODAC to my O2 (as well as my XBOX 360's Kinect motion sensor to the top edge of my HDTV) & it works really well.  Can't imaging using anything else.  Due to the strength of the dual lock's teeth, not much 'tape' is required to get a strong bind, as well (it'll be low profile).

Tyll's hip to it.

Awesome I was just about to ask this question and this is exactly what I needed to know. I'll be using the fuze with the uha-6s.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #786 of 2,354
Ah! Thanks for that. I recall that product being discussed a while back but couldn't recall which thread/what it was etc (as I typed velcro before I had this nagging sensation that there was something better I had forgotten). Will look into that, rather than the velcro.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #791 of 2,354
If there is one thing I dislike about this amp, it is that the volume pot is too easy to rotate! When I am out on the move, there is always a risk that the volume pot will move by itself as it collide onto the side of my bag or with other items in the bag. I had one incident whereby the sound on my custom suddenly became very loud due to the volume pot rotating just a little in the clockwise direction. Made me pretty paranoid about it ever since. The one on the UHA4 looks more like it is designed to be used on the move.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #792 of 2,354
Yep I would never use mine while in my pocket for that reason.  It's more 'transportable' than 'portable' in my opinion.  Mine is mostly used when on the couch at home or occasionally at the office.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #793 of 2,354
Also, it's such a lovely looking little amp, I could never bring myself to attach tape / velcro to it (though I did affix the little rubber feet that came with it).

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #794 of 2,354
Quote:
If there is one thing I dislike about this amp, it is that the volume pot is too easy to rotate! When I am out on the move, there is always a risk that the volume pot will move by itself as it collide onto the side of my bag or with other items in the bag. I had one incident whereby the sound on my custom suddenly became very loud due to the volume pot rotating just a little in the clockwise direction. Made me pretty paranoid about it ever since. The one on the UHA4 looks more like it is designed to be used on the move.

How is the knob assembled to the shaft? If it can be easily removed, maybe adding a rubber o-ring or gasket between the shaft and bushing can add a little drag/resistance. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #795 of 2,354
Also, it's such a lovely looking little amp, I could never bring myself to attach tape / velcro to it (though I did affix the little rubber feet that came with it).

I have a bunch of plumbing O-rings from the hardware store, and put three on each of my portable amps. They serve both as feet and as bumpers between amp and whatever's strapped to 'em. (Why three? Well, some of my amps are longer or shorter than the iPod; one each at the ends and one in the middle means I don't have to keep fussing with placing them when they slide up and down.)

How is the knob assembled to the shaft? If it can be easily removed, maybe adding a rubber o-ring or gasket between the shaft and bushing can add a little drag/resistance. 

The knob attaches with a threaded lockscrew.

Quick, easy, and bad solution: Loosen the knob, jam it directly up against the shaft mount, and tighten again. You'll get a good solid SCRAAAPE every time you try to turn the knob.

Good solution: Loosen the knob, slide it off, add a nylon washer, and then reattach the knob. Get a washer whose inner diameter most closely matches the shaft's diameter; don't bother matching the outer diameter of the knob, and get the thinnest washer you can find. (It's hard to find nylon washers under 2mm thick, and that affects the overall length of the amp, which is relevant if space is tight in your amp-carrying-thing of choice.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back