New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
May 2, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,266 of 2,354
I wouldn't wander into the idea that one DAC chip had softer bass, that's just too big if audible not to come from something else in the implementation. else it would appear clearly in the chipset's measurements. and there are just too many variables for me to even dare put my finger on only one possible reason.

but about usb I'm 100% with you guys. from the get go it's a bad choice for audio. obviously USB is a convenient universal choice because it's on almost any device nowadays ... but it comes to no surprise that the most convenient, most universal, not at all done for music in the first place, might not be the highest audio quality option ^_^.

May 2, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #2,267 of 2,354
I wouldn't wander into the idea that one DAC chip had softer bass, that's just too big if audible not to come from something else in the implementation. else it would appear clearly in the chipset's measurements. and there are just too many variables for me to even dare put my finger on only one possible reason.

I agree. For instance the AK120II uses Cirrus DAC chips and sounds phenomenal when used purely as a DAC. Implementation, implementation, implementation.

May 2, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2,268 of 2,354
As a USB DAC ODAC sounds better to my ears than 6S-MKII. But if fed by either Coax or Optical, UHA-6S-MKII turns it around. Especially when I use it as DAC/preamp to my Marantz integrated amplifier.

May 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,269 of 2,354
but about usb I'm 100% with you guys. from the get go it's a bad choice for audio. obviously USB is a convenient universal choice because it's on almost any device nowadays ... but it comes to no surprise that the most convenient, most universal, not at all done for music in the first place, might not be the highest audio quality option ^_^.

+1, fine for peripherals and USB 3.0 devices-- irrelevant to the context here but it explains its ubiquity-- however I prefer the optical design for DACs.

May 4, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,270 of 2,354

Ah yes, my finest work! Vol. 1 or 2?

As an aside, the new translator for the Longman edition, Richard Aquila, teaches at my university atm. Brilliant man--really into Kant as well. 

On topic, I am looking into this amp as a portable solution over other choices in this price-range.

Excellent. I haven't read his translation yet, though it's been on my radar. I was using the Payne translation until the recent Cambridge Edition. I'm currently working with Prof. Shapshay @IU on moral psych/Schopenhauer related things. 

May 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #2,271 of 2,354
I use the UHA with the LO of my X5, and find it the best portable solution.  If I recall, the battery life was expected to be about 30 hours bypassing the DAC and about 10 hours with.  So bypassing the X5's HO gives it more than 20 hours, and using the line-in on the 6II gives me a long run.
It's small enough to fit in a pocket with the X5 if needed.  Means I don't have to take the Hugo anywhere.
I like the co-ax as well, but I have a couple of 192kb/s files.
I agree that the amp is the best part of the UHA; much better and crisper sounding than the X5 alone.

May 6, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #2,272 of 2,354
  I use the UHA with the LO of my X5, and find it the best portable solution.  If I recall, the battery life was expected to be about 30 hours bypassing the DAC and about 10 hours with.  So bypassing the X5's HO gives it more than 20 hours, and using the line-in on the 6II gives me a long run.
It's small enough to fit in a pocket with the X5 if needed.  Means I don't have to take the Hugo anywhere.
I like the co-ax as well, but I have a couple of 192kb/s files.
I agree that the amp is the best part of the UHA; much better and crisper sounding than the X5 alone.

You must have a huge pocket.
tongue_smile.gif

May 18, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #2,274 of 2,354
Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable. Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?

May 18, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #2,275 of 2,354
Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable. Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?

Yeah, but I didn't like the digital filters, if you know what I mean.

May 18, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #2,276 of 2,354
May 20, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #2,277 of 2,354
Does anyone have tips for changing out the op-amps? Is it as simple as wiggling the opamps from side to side until they come loose, or is there a safer way?

And do the new op-amps need to be inserted with a certain orientation?

I really like electronics tweezers with superfine tips to help me get in and underneath the pins so I can carefully pry up the chips.  I rotate the leverage points and slowly work them up and out.  The two ends also help accurately apply pressure to get them back in too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back