New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Apr 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #2,206 of 2,354
  I keep on finding mixed answers.

Can the UHA6s MKii drive the HD800 without compromise or not??

The UHA-6S.MKII drives the HD 800 just fine.  I am using AD8620 op-amps and feeding the Leckerton's USB port with hi-res FLAC files from my iPod touch using the Apple camera adapter.  Excellent sound with smooth treble, extended and powerful bass with a vast soundstage.  I use the high gain setting and never need to go above 50% on the volume control.  No compromise in my experience.  Note that my reference home amps for the HD 800 are the Sennheiser HDVA 600, Bryston HA-1 and Woo WA-2.  I don't find the UHA-6S.MKII to be a let down when going portable.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,207 of 2,354

The UHA-6S.MKII drives the HD 800 just fine.  I am using AD8620 op-amps and feeding the Leckerton's USB port with hi-res FLAC files from my iPod touch using the Apple camera adapter.  Excellent sound with smooth treble, extended and powerful bass with a vast soundstage.  I use the high gain setting and never need to go above 50% on the volume control.  No compromise in my experience.  Note that my reference home amps for the HD 800 are the Sennheiser HDVA 600, Bryston HA-1 and Woo WA-2.  I don't find the UHA-6S.MKII to be a let down when going portable.

Thank you so much for your response!

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,208 of 2,354
if in doubt just send a mail to the manufacturer. at least for amplifiers, they tend to be very honest and objective people. ^_^
and Nick is not only honest but also super nice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #2,210 of 2,354
Ordered my UHA-6S MKII today in silver with the OPA627A. Very excited. Plan to use it primarily with the B&W P7, but hope to pair the HD800 and LCD-2.2 as well. 

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #2,216 of 2,354

Ordered my UHA-6S MKII today in silver with the OPA627A. Very excited. Plan to use it primarily with the B&W P7, but hope to pair the HD800 and LCD-2.2 as well. 

Good luck. I have the LCD2.1 and the 6S does struggle a bit to power them. It is definitely listenable, but it isn't as powerful as you may like.

Ah, well. It would've been a bonus only if it could competently drive the LCD-2.2. I'm going to use this mostly with easier to drive headphones for casual, around-the-house, couch listening.

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #2,217 of 2,354

if in doubt just send a mail to the manufacturer. at least for amplifiers, they tend to be very honest and objective people. ^_^
and Nick is not only honest but also super nice.

Already did several times to no avail.....

frown.gif
then I don't know what to say. maybe he's trekking in the Himalayas or something?

@Schopee, about the LCD2, as a general rule, it's not for portable gears, so very few manufacturers will even bother designing a portable amp for it. stuff like the hifiM8 might do it but it's not the same price/size/weight/battery life.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #2,218 of 2,354

frown.gif
then I don't know what to say. maybe he's trekking in the Himalayas or something?

@Schopee, about the LCD2, as a general rule, it's not for portable gears, so very few manufacturers will even bother designing a portable amp for it. stuff like the hifiM8 might do it but it's not the same price/size/weight/battery life.

I ordered one recently, and there was a notice on the website saying that orders may be delayed because he was off on vacation. I'm sure he'll reply soon.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #2,219 of 2,354
No HD-800 is too much for 6S-MKII

That's not my experience at all. On high gain the UHA-6 drives the HD800 very well, I usually have the volume knob around noon and around 11 am with the HE-500.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #2,220 of 2,354

No HD-800 is too much for 6S-MKII

That's not my experience at all. On high gain the UHA-6 drives the HD800 very well, I usually have the volume knob around noon and around 11 am with the HE-500.

I agree. In fact, I'm comfortable with low gain even. Plenty of power, plenty of plankton. Volume knob around 10-11.

Oh, and re: the LCD-2.2 with the UHA-6S MKII: I think the combo is plenty good, at least for portable/casual listening. Even on low gain. And I'm not someone who simply hasn't heard the LCD-2.2 driven to their maxi and who doesn't know what they're capable of. My primary amp is the HiFiMAN EF-6. Its pairing with the LCD-2.2 is sublime. The best sound I've had from a rig. 

EDIT: On the LCD-2.2 pairing. I'm surprised by the amount of headroom the Leck provides. This isn't just a matter of the Leck getting the LCD-2.2 loud enough. The headphone is being driven well at listenable volumes. Very impressed. This amp exceeds many of the desktop units I've owned in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back