New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #1,771 of 2,354
Nick's been working on a new amp w/ an upsampling DAC & digital volume control (amongst other features).  He hasn't said too much else, but there will be some tweaks to improve the performance of the amp, too.  I'm guessing we'll see it later this year.

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #1,772 of 2,354
Quote:
Nick's been working on a new amp w/ an upsampling DAC & digital volume control (amongst other features).  He hasn't said too much else, but there will be some tweaks to improve the performance of the amp, too.  I'm guessing we'll see it later this year.

Well if it has a digital pot that is quite interesting. I really enjoyed the UHA4 when I had it.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,773 of 2,354
I plan to use UHA-6S MKII with Fiio X3 to improve the clarity & detail of sound.
According to an expert head-fier, the AD8610 has better "detail" than OPA209.

I would like to know how about other OpAmp sounds? 
They are:
AD797ANZ
OPA627AP (need to add $50)

If I want the best clarity & detail, should I choose AD8610?

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,775 of 2,354
209 is a detail monster IMO. I actually have a pair still up for grabs if you want. 627 AP is more musical with more bass, a bigger sound stage. The treble is smoothed out with more emphasis on mids and bass. 8610 is a happy medium IMO with a hint of warmth to the sound while still remaining relatively neutral. It was my favorite OP amp of them all. I haven't tried this new craze of an Op Amp so can't help you there.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,777 of 2,354
Quote:
Does this work?
My potential setup: iPad 2 + CCK (camera connection kit) + UHA-6S.MKII.

My intention is to bypass the internal DAC of iPad so that the raw digital signal can be processed by UHA-6S.MKII.

Yes :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/450#post_8546730

You have to flip the switch from USB to chg (charge).

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #1,779 of 2,354
..used my gain-modified (-12/+3) UHA (w/ ADA4627) with the Beyer DT880/600... which are the most power-hungry phones I (currently) own.  Oh high gain (+3) w/ the ODAC (2Vrms output), I'm able to get above average listening volume (but not extremely loud).  I'd put it halfway way between my average listening volume & my max.. with it leaning closer to the max end.

I've been using the JH13Pro (FP) with the UHA for the better part of two weeks now.. and, holy hell, does it sound awesome.  Smooth, full, dynamic, detailed, and with an excellent soundstage.  The 4627's treble is smooth and detailed..and not bright, (sometimes) sharp, and (excessively) crisp like the 209's treble was (at times).  The 4627 is very balanced.. neutral & ever-so-slightly warm.  Oh.. and the ADA4627's bass performance is just terrific.  Full, punchy, extended, impactful.. but very accurate and it textures very naturally.  This is the most transparent opamp I've heard in the UHA.  As I stated previously, I'm reminded a lot of my (solid state) desktop amp's voicing, the Violectric V200.

I was listening to Grant Geissman & co's, "Sounds of Acadia" LP w/ the ODAC/UHA/JH13.  This album (like the others in the series) is very well recorded and has lots of environmental/field recording elements.. track 7 ("Black Woods") opens with a horse carriage trotting from off in the distance in the right.. passing ahead of you.. then off to the left.. so you get a terrific "doppler" experience.  With the JH13 (and all the other upstream gear), it was simply stunning.  Very realistic!

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #1,780 of 2,354
Quote:
I plan to use UHA-6S MKII with Fiio X3 to improve the clarity & detail of sound.
According to an expert head-fier, the AD8610 has better "detail" than OPA209.

I would like to know how about other OpAmp sounds? 
They are:
AD797ANZ
OPA627AP (need to add $50)

If I want the best clarity & detail, should I choose AD8610?

I sent my UHA4 back to nick for the 209 after hearing how it was so great, and when I listened to it I wondered "where did the bass go?"   I promptly sent it back to NIck and got the 8610 back.   I agree with Lee, the 209 is for the analytical boys who don't enjoy their bass.   Kinda like the DBA02 compared to the GR07.  But I jumped from the UHA4 to the T1 and  "oh my God, night and day!"   I bought the UHA4 and also the Arrow and picked the UHA4 over it and returned the Arrow. I felt the UHA4 had a more refined, smoother bass and mids, seemed more balanced than the current Arrow model 2 years ago.   But then when I heard the T1 I was blown away.   I do think the UHA4 seems more solidly built than the T1, but the T1v2 has a new volume control that is much better than the first one.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,781 of 2,354
I sent my UHA4 back to nick for the 209 after hearing how it was so great, and when I listened to it I wondered "where did the bass go?"   I promptly sent it back to NIck and got the 8610 back.   I agree with Lee, the 209 is for the analytical boys who don't enjoy their bass.   Kinda like the DBA02 compared to the GR07.  But I jumped from the UHA4 to the T1 and  "oh my God, night and day!"   I bought the UHA4 and also the Arrow and picked the UHA4 over it and returned the Arrow. I felt the UHA4 had a more refined, smoother bass and mids, seemed more balanced than the current Arrow model 2 years ago.   But then when I heard the T1 I was blown away.   I do think the UHA4 seems more solidly built than the T1, but the T1v2 has a new volume control that is much better than the first one.

The tralucent t1? They have two versions?

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #1,782 of 2,354
Quote:
The tralucent t1? They have two versions?

It's been updated. I'm not so sure about the volume pot. I thought it was an improved power supply. There may actually be better control on the volume pot though but this is going from memory. Personally I think the sound has improved just based on the PSU alone.

Aug 2, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #1,783 of 2,354
The UHA-6S.MKII noise floor isn't low enough for me. When I turn the volume knob over half on high gain I hear hissing on my Sennheiser HD800. I'd get an O2/ODAC which doesn't have this problem but it doesn't have USB charging.

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,784 of 2,354
Quote:
The UHA-6S.MKII noise floor isn't low enough for me. When I turn the volume knob over half on high gain I hear hissing on my Sennheiser HD800. I'd get an O2/ODAC which doesn't have this problem but it doesn't have USB charging.

Wait say what? I've never had any hissing issues even with SE535, a super sensitive iem! I've tried the leckertons with a HD800, but I didn't notice any hissing...

Aug 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,785 of 2,354
My Leckerton was always dead silent driving my HE-500 (which they drove surprisingly well).  Haven't tried with the HD 800 yet, but will give it a go this weekend.  I have the 627 opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back