New JVC Dual Diaphragm IEMs! HA-FXT90
May 11, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #46 of 73
My brief impression is that it is definitely a notch below the Radius in terms of clarity and dynamics, however the fit is quite good. The earpieces are angled and easy to get pretty deep insertion.

May 12, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #49 of 73
Really?! Most impressions I've read, it takes forever for this thing to burn in. Apparently after a few hundred hours this thing is godly?

May 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #51 of 73
Really?! Most impressions I've read, it takes forever for this thing to burn in. Apparently after a few hundred hours this thing is godly?

Don't worry, I'm more than likely to get them regardless. I'm in the grip of the "acquisition" stage of the obsession, and novelties like dual-diaphragm dynamic are too interesting to resist!

May 14, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #53 of 73
And that guinea pig would be me :)
    Another demo session which veered from disappointment again to positive enough that I decided to pick them up and give them a chance.

My first impressions wearing the FXT90 on the subway and at home now are pretty positive.

First of all, isolation is very good for a dynamic IEM. The included shirt clip and cable winder are very helpful in reducing microphonics as well.

Briefly at home I am doing an A/B with my recently purchased AT-CKM99 which come off as somewhat similar, though closer to my MD Tributes with a bit more presence and sub-bass. To my ears the CKM99 are more detailed, laid back, with better clarity and resolution. Mids not recessed but not forward.

The FXT90 have a pretty aggressive signature. Slightly forward mids, strong bass, treble is well extended though less so than the CKM99 (but also without the slight sibilance).  Separation is very good, perhaps a result of the dual-drivers? The only problem so far is they do seem a bit veiled and muddy, but I am hoping they will clear up with burn-in.

Of course this is all pre-burn in, so I will be posting more to see how things change. Overall, for the price they seem quite a good deal with a fun warm signature, a lot of punch, and especially good separation.

May 14, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #54 of 73

May 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #55 of 73
Thanks for your updated impressions. Is the veil or muddiness there all the time or is it more like congestion during certain/busy music passages?

Looking forward to updates after burn in.

May 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #56 of 73
Some further impressions:

Cable is mediocre, reminding me a bit of the rubbery type on the TF10 or Panny RJE900. It tangles somewhat easily and can be a bit microphonic. I feel like this is probably one area where JVC went a bit cheap to help keep their cost low.  
  Strain reliefs are pretty good though, the L-plug in particular has a soft and flexible relief.
  Build quality on the housing itself is an interesting mix of rubber, plastics, and I believe carbon? The somewhat oddly shaped housing is due to the two vertically mounted dynamic drivers. There is also a small lip on the side of each earphone, presumably to aid fitment.
   Overall comfort is very good and secure, and allow surprisingly deep insertion due to the angled nozzles.

May 15, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #58 of 73
They should fit, since my comply TX400 fit on them snugly.

May 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #59 of 73
Some further impressions:

Cable is mediocre, reminding me a bit of the rubbery type on the TF10 or Panny RJE900. It tangles somewhat easily and can be a bit microphonic. I feel like this is probably one area where JVC went a bit cheap to help keep their cost low.  
  Strain reliefs are pretty good though, the L-plug in particular has a soft and flexible relief.
  Build quality on the housing itself is an interesting mix of rubber, plastics, and I believe carbon? The somewhat oddly shaped housing is due to the two vertically mounted dynamic drivers. There is also a small lip on the side of each earphone, presumably to aid fitment.
   Overall comfort is very good and secure, and allow surprisingly deep insertion due to the angled nozzles.

The strain relief on the housing side is made of softer plastic/rubber material, not hard plastic, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back