New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #7,051 of 8,377
I read somewhere the bass pot would stop working around 100 uses...

My Roxanne cable failed a few weeks ago at the elbow plug, too. I chalked that up to wear and tear. Since JH Audio only has the clear cable available on their web site, and I much prefer black, I decided to have it reterminated by Moon Audio to a Switchcraft Mini 4pin XLR, so I could use the stock cable with either a normal SE plug or a balanced adapter.

That worked fine, but today I was playing with the bass pot settings and discovered that the right bass pot is broken. Fortunately it's stuck at neutral, because I prefer a 12pm setting, and there's not that much difference between that and 8am. If it was stuck open at full throttle, that would be a disaster!

Guess I'll be contacting JH Audio for a replacement. Wear and tear on the elbow plug is one thing, but a broken bass pot is unacceptable because I changed the bass pot settings less than a dozen times.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #7,053 of 8,377
  My Roxanne cable failed a few weeks ago at the elbow plug, too. I chalked that up to wear and tear. Since JH Audio only has the clear cable available on their web site, and I much prefer black, I decided to have it reterminated by Moon Audio to a Switchcraft Mini 4pin XLR, so I could use the stock cable with either a normal SE plug or a balanced adapter.

That worked fine, but today I was playing with the bass pot settings and discovered that the right bass pot is broken. Fortunately it's stuck at neutral, because I prefer a 12pm setting, and there's not that much difference between that and 8am. If it was stuck open at full throttle, that would be a disaster!

Guess I'll be contacting JH Audio for a replacement. Wear and tear on the elbow plug is one thing, but a broken bass pot is unacceptable because I changed the bass pot settings less than a dozen times.

Woah. Like Kim Chee said, I did read that the bass pots only have a shelf life of 100 uses. That's too little, really. Nevertheless, it seems like you've been provided a faulty cable like so many others on this forum. All affected users should write to JH to let them know what is really going on. We paid so much for this product, and the least we could get in return, is a cable that actually lasts for as long as the duration on the warranty period.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #7,054 of 8,377
Not to deter from the cable issues and I didn't want to take away from the JH16 thread any further.

I'm becoming more interested in the Roxannes, much to the dismay of my wallet. 

Still a bit on the fence.I listen to about every type of music, hard rock/rap/classical/piano/movies. I enjoy listening to movie soundtracks even.

My question is which one offers the best low end? Which ones go deeper?.. I gravitate to liking mids and lows.The lower the better, but want it separate from the mids. Probably the wrong terms, but I do not enjoy it when the lows bleed into the mids. Not big into trebles/highs or the sharpness. Whenever a song has a lot of high's it tends to give me fatigue/headache. Has anyone experienced fatigue from Roxannes?

I've read almost each page in this thread... but still on the fence.. appreciate any final incite before I place my order. 

(quick one no need to answer - anyone use an audiologist in Minneapolis that really had great result)

Previous CIEM were UM Mages. (which severely lack bass).

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #7,056 of 8,377
I will give JH audio and sue their repair person much credit. They sent me out another black cable today should be here wed. The website said clear only, but they must still have some black ones. They also did a refit and sent it to me and From the time I shipped it to the time I received it back it was a week.

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #7,057 of 8,377
Not to deter from the cable issues and I didn't want to take away from the JH16 thread any further.

Still a bit on the fence.I listen to about every type of music, hard rock/rap/classical/piano/movies. I enjoy listening to movie soundtracks even.

My question is which one offers the best low end? Which ones go deeper?.. I gravitate to liking mids and lows.The lower the better, but want it separate from the mids. Probably the wrong terms, but I do not enjoy it when the lows bleed into the mids. Not big into trebles/highs or the sharpness. Whenever a song has a lot of high's it tends to give me fatigue/headache. Has anyone experienced fatigue from Roxannes?

I've read almost each page in this thread... but still on the fence.. appreciate any final incite before I place my order. 

(quick one no need to answer - anyone use an audiologist in Minneapolis that really had great result)

Thanks!

Compared with Mage, Roxanne definitely has A lot more bass and deeper. Plus the tunable pot to adjust. Some said adjusting to 12 and beyond the bass has subtle bleeding to the mid. For my ears, I can't discern the bleeding.

If paired with ak240, it has one of the strongest, deepest and very tight bass.

My copy is a custom. If u r going universal, pls get the akr 03 edition.

So far the pots are still holding well. Finger cross. But we should expect the pots have a shelf life for at least a thousand tunable tries?

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #7,058 of 8,377
Compared with Mage, Roxanne definitely has A lot more bass and deeper. Plus the tunable pot to adjust. Some said adjusting to 12 and beyond the bass has subtle bleeding to the mid. For my ears, I can't discern the bleeding.

So far the pots are still holding well. Finger cross. But we should expect the pots have a shelf life for at least a thousand tunable tries?

The component specification itself mention 100cycle. It may much more durable.. But I think luck dependent :)

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #7,060 of 8,377

Thanks!

For a more pronounce sub bass that has zero leakage to mid, - try SE846. 
For a more pronounce mid bass with zero leakage - Roxanne with less than 12 o clock. Try 9 - 10.

But since preference is to get less fatigue ;

SE846 swap to black filter - 
Roxanne - tune to 2 o'clock - you get slight leakage to mid but its really fine. 

Both phones have about the best quality bass an IEM can get without fatigue.You can demo SE846 at most airport  at IN motion Store. 

U can also try TG334. Absolutely fatigue free with strong bass, less high with great clarity, wide and tall sound stage. 

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #7,061 of 8,377

Thanks!

I hate to say it, but it sounds like he is describing an Heir 8A..... rich lows - liquid midrange - smooth treble - nice soundstage - listen to them for hours..... detailed, but not in your face.

Or a 1964 Ears V8.... nice soundstage - deep lows - lush mids - smooth, never sibilant highs...

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #7,063 of 8,377

Going custom thanks for the input.

For a more pronounce sub bass that has zero leakage to mid, - try SE846. 
For a more pronounce mid bass with zero leakage - Roxanne with less than 12 o clock. Try 9 - 10.

Roxanne - tune to 2 o'clock - you get slight leakage to mid but its really fine. 

Both phones have about the best quality bass an IEM can get without fatigue.You can demo SE846 at most airport  at IN motion Store. 

U can also try TG334. Absolutely fatigue free with strong bass, less high with great clarity, wide and tall sound stage. 

Going custom and no trips to Japan.. So no fitear. With the adjustability on the cable Im sure I can find the sweet spot. Read on shures, from what I've read most often the huge soundstage and bass seems to resonate more with Roxanne.

Appreciate the recomendation.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like he is describing an Heir 8A..... rich lows - liquid midrange - smooth treble - nice soundstage - listen to them for hours..... detailed, but not in your face.

Or a 1964 Ears V8.... nice soundstage - deep lows - lush mids - smooth, never sibilant highs...

Pretty set on JH this time around. Considered heir8a but maybe next time.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #7,064 of 8,377
If your CF case turned out well how do you like it? Does it stay closed with magnets? I don't see any latching on the pictures. Or would you prefer the JH can? With the special cable and the unique attachment to iem it looks like it's a tight fit.

I was thinking case origionally as I could keep q tips stored and the cleaning tool.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #7,065 of 8,377

I find this true. I like Roxanne at 9 o'clock most of the time. But fatigue sets in after a while of continuous listening. Setting it to 12 o'clock works for me to ease fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back