New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Aug 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #6,616 of 8,377

Graph discussions that come out -after- a product I think is decent. At least it provides reassurance for me for what I've heard match what I read (and just like everything else in HF), what others say don't bother me. It's the graphs that come out before members get to hear the product, is one of those situations where it gets controversial as ppl start to "listen with their eyes" instead.

I think of listening and graph reading as the "belt & suspenders" approach.

Is that why kids who listen to "Beats" wear their jeans around their ankles? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #6,622 of 8,377
Here is the FR graph of universal Roxanne.

And here is the CSD plot.

this chart matches with what I hear from my universal (using comply tips for a tight seal). Darker presentation, just a hint of sparkle with the treble but not sharp or overly bright. No one seems to be quoting this measurement...

Is this has really 12 drivers each side???

this does not. at all. Over 20 dB range between 2 and 7kHz? No way. 

I’ve heard lots of different headphones and IEMs, including ones with some treble peaks and dips and the Roxannes do not exhibit the kind of papery treble that you get with this kind of extreme valley and peak between upper mids and the treble. Something is off here.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #6,623 of 8,377
@LCfiner
There are issues with both. The first one you quoted is uncompensated, and seems in line with the usual JH tuning before compensation.
The latter graph is using a common diffuse-field compensation, and seems to have been inserted too shallow.  The shallow insertion brings the peak lower in the treble, rather than in the top octave in which the drivers are naturally attenuated.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6,624 of 8,377
Yeah, the treble spike is definitely not that exaggerated. Everyone would be complaining about a sharp nasty spike. Take that out and it looks somewhat accurate. 

Also, the treble roll off isn't that bad. The extension is definitely higher than 8K-10K. A test tone will verify that. So, I agree, both graphs are less than perfect. But the general idea is right.

Aug 12, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #6,627 of 8,377
For those using universal Roxanne's, would you know of any tips that isolate better than the stock silicone ones? They give a good seal, but their isolation leaves a lot to be desired, especially comparing to my Ety ER4S + tri-flange tips. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #6,628 of 8,377
^ Comply T500s did the job for me. I just needed the small ones.

@briskly. good point about the uncompensated graph. I was focusing on the relative magnitude of the peaks and valleys but, overall, the Roxanne is pretty dark so I would expect the HRTF compensation to tilt downward the whole upper midrange and treble area by some amount, depending on the function used (as we see on Innerfidelity graphs).  

as for the second graph, I like your hypothesis about the insertion depth. when I was messing around with tips, one set I used forced me to insert the roxannes much more shallow than normal and the result was a relatively hollow, sucked out midrange (while still retaining the bass that you get with a tight seal). Something that I have found in the past to correspond roughly to charts showing a massive dip down to 2 kHz. But since they sounded so incredibly wrong to me, i never stuck with those tips for more than a couple minutes - so I can’t really comment much on the treble peak with this type of fit.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #6,629 of 8,377
this chart matches with what I hear from my universal (using comply tips for a tight seal). Darker presentation, just a hint of sparkle with the treble but not sharp or overly bright. No one seems to be quoting this measurement...

this does not. at all. Over 20 dB range between 2 and 7kHz? No way. 

I’ve heard lots of different headphones and IEMs, including ones with some treble peaks and dips and the Roxannes do not exhibit the kind of papery treble that you get with this kind of extreme valley and peak between upper mids and the treble. Something is off here.

Agreed. I don't believe any of these graphs just yet. I'd like another independent reference point.

My guess is the Roxanne's will look eerily similar to the LCD-3 chart (possibly with slightly accented bass).

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #6,630 of 8,377
^ Comply T500s did the job for me. I just needed the small ones.

Some extra info for those searching for tips to fit the universal Roxanne's... I tried the Hifiman RE-600 bi-flange tips. Actually works very well with the Roxannes. Deep insertion, good seal and isolation. Slight attenuation of volume, but sound signature appears unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back