New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #5,779 of 8,377
A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?

For your wallet's sake don't dig too deep but to answer your question I have multiple iems/headphones so I get different flavors and I don't get tired with just one headphone. I have JH16 and Roxane which covers my absolute portability/isolation needs. DT235 for office. DT250 leisure/relax walkabout or in a quiet room so as not to leak sound but maintain comfort  listening for long hours and T1 for critical listening at home.

I wish there is just one phone that can cover them all but in reality there is not. At least for now.

May 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5,781 of 8,377
For your wallet's sake don't dig too deep but to answer your question I have multiple iems/headphones so I get different flavors and I don't get tired with just one headphone. I have JH16 and Roxane which covers my absolute portability/isolation needs. DT235 for office. DT250 leisure/relax walkabout or in a quiet room so as not to leak sound but maintain comfort  listening for long hours and T1 for critical listening at home.

I wish there is just one phone that can cover them all but in reality there is not. At least for now.

That is quite a leap in price from a DT235 to a T1, not that price entirely is reflective of quality, but how is it listening to a Roxanne & T1, then going to a DT235? Which kind of echoes my point that I didn't find the Roxanne's THAT great, especially for how much they cost (diminishing return), but still, I was underwhelmed to say the least.

May 24, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #5,782 of 8,377
Now I think about it, for me the universal Roxanne's were extremely uncomfortable as soon as they were in, after about 5 minutes I couldn't wait to take them out. Could the fit have anything to do with my disapproval?

May 24, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #5,783 of 8,377
Maybe you just don't like it sound sig. Perhaps another IEM might suit your preference better. For myself, I took out the JH13 and 16 both FreqPhase after 30s ( not taking into account the time I tried to get proper fit) so ... different folk different stroke.

May 24, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #5,784 of 8,377
Now I think about it, for me the universal Roxanne's were extremely uncomfortable as soon as they were in, after about 5 minutes I couldn't wait to take them out. Could the fit have anything to do with my disapproval?

I have the custom Roxanne and never tried the universal. But a few people who at least tried both mentioned they are nothing alike. It also seems like many people who find Roxanne too thick and bloated are referring to Universals. Perhaps I need to listen to a Universal to find out myself.

T1 and Roxanne are nothing alike. Roxanne has similar or at least close the the sound signature of the Audeze headphones. LCD-2 in particular somewhat resembles the bass in Roxanne which is very dense.

DT235 really is a gem. Except for the design, the SQ is way above the price it is asking for. Sure the T1 is better in every aspect. But the difference is not too far as the difference in price would suggest. I really like the Beyer sound. As much as I want to get another phone from a different brand I can't convince myself to get one from a different brand. I never liked sennheisers. I don't know why but I tried HD6xx, momentums and HD800 and it makes me feel that there is always missing or too much of another.

Audeze's have that luscious bass but that's about it. Beyers on the other hand to me got the right mix and balance.

May 24, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #5,785 of 8,377
I bought the AKR03 2 weeks ago, after a week of burning in, I still find them a bit lack in clarity so I went to test them out at my regular shop just now, they actually opened a new pair right there for me to demo, they sounded so different to mine, such details right out of the box. I was told the last demo pair they had, a lot of ppl were complaining about the bass being too bloated, apparently that they needed 400 hrs of burning in! JH Audio replaced them with a new demo pair, so these are from the second generation batch and they sounded great right out of the box, maybe they've been burnt in pre shipped.

As for comfort, they are huge, but there are 12 drivers in each casing. I didn't think it was a big problem for me, they are not comfortable, but that's something one has to sacrifice for the SQ I guess.

To me, Audeze doesn't just have luscious bass, LCD-X are probably the most balanced sounding reference headphones I've ever heard, with details and clarity on par with the AKR03.

I have the custom Roxanne and never tried the universal. But a few people who at least tried both mentioned they are nothing alike. It also seems like many people who find Roxanne too thick and bloated are referring to Universals. Perhaps I need to listen to a Universal to find out myself.

T1 and Roxanne are nothing alike. Roxanne has similar or at least close the the sound signature of the Audeze headphones. LCD-2 in particular somewhat resembles the bass in Roxanne which is very dense.

DT235 really is a gem. Except for the design, the SQ is way above the price it is asking for. Sure the T1 is better in every aspect. But the difference is not too far as the difference in price would suggest. I really like the Beyer sound. As much as I want to get another phone from a different brand I can't convince myself to get one from a different brand. I never liked sennheisers. I don't know why but I tried HD6xx, momentums and HD800 and it makes me feel that there is always missing or too much of another.

Audeze's have that luscious bass but that's about it. Beyers on the other hand to me got the right mix and balance.

May 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #5,788 of 8,377
A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?
I guess there is no perfect ciem and each totl piece has its strength and weakness. Owning more than one means we can choose what to use with what song and when. Our mood may change and sometimes, I prefer Roxanne and at another time, FitEar may please me more.

Once you get used to two, three, four or five won't sound weird at all.

It's an acquired taste.

May 24, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #5,789 of 8,377
I'd love to just have one pair, I want to just have the same sound signature all the time, the problem is that the demoed pair don't always sound exactly like the pair I actually bought. If my AKR03 Roxanne sounded like the pair I demoed, I wouldn't be using any other IEMs at home from now on. For outdoor that's different, I'm not going to workout at the gym with a pair of $1,700+ IEM, so I'd always use my Westone UM3x. When I doing music editing or mixing, it'll usually be the LCD-X if I'm not using the monitor speakers, but for those in the know they are super heavy, so I'd use the HD 25-SP II for convenient if I'm tired or for tracking.

Quote:

May 25, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #5,790 of 8,377
JH customer service is still not improved. I pm them on FB, no respond, email them and still repeating the phase " We are sorry for the delay, we are working at our best. We will update you asap". OMG. I dont know when my Roxanne will arrive. I ordered 3 months ago with normal acrylic option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back