New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #5,567 of 8,377
Now that analogy I completely get.
You would be pretty hacked off if you ordered a car and were told that it would be ready "sometime" though!

As a matter of fact, you do have to wait for unspecified time frame for the ultra high end customised order supercars.

I am not defending JH on the delivery situation but perhaps not the perfect analogy.

May 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #5,568 of 8,377
As a matter of fact, you do have to wait for unspecified time frame for the ultra high end customised order supercars.

I am not defending JH on the delivery situation but perhaps not the perfect analogy.

I did actually wonder if that is the case. Never having been in the happy position of ordering a bespoke car. Jodybuchan is right. We should accept that dealing with boutique companies is very different from dealing with mainstream retailers. I stand corrected. Thanks sutjahjo.

May 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #5,569 of 8,377
Which JH model would offer more treble/high-end than the Roxanne's? I demo'd the universals at AXPONA and though they were pretty dark and mid heavy. In comparison, my preference right now is the Shure SE846 + white filter. Does JH Audio have any customs that sound similar to the SE846 + White Filter?

May 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #5,570 of 8,377
  Which JH model would offer more treble/high-end than the Roxanne's? I demo'd the universals at AXPONA and though they were pretty dark and mid heavy. In comparison, my preference right now is the Shure SE846 + white filter. Does JH Audio have any customs that sound similar to the SE846 + White Filter?

The entire line of Shures sound different form the SE846 regardless of what filters you use. If you are looking for that sound, I suggest you look elsewhere than JH Audio. 

May 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #5,571 of 8,377
Pardon for going off topic.

I attended the Pagani Singapore launch quite a number of years ago. These are not bespoke models and the wait could easily be several years.

And if you think it's unfair for cars costing seven figures upwards. I was told that there are bespoke super car makers in Europe where buyers can order bespoke cars after mutual discussions (subject to acceptance) with the engineers. The buyers would have to finance the entire manufacture process of the car he ordered with no scheduled delivery time. Surprisingly, these are not the Pagani or the Ferrari of the world. These are literally names unknown to public. I was given an Italian contact for interview opportunity, I didn't take up the offer.

Having said that, I still have a customised CF Roxanne on order since last year to be delivered. More than anyone else, I do understand the frustration of waiting.

Jaw

May 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #5,572 of 8,377
Pardon for going off topic.

I attended the Pagani Singapore launch quite a number of years ago. These are not bespoke models and the wait could easily be several years.

And if you think it's unfair for cars costing seven figures upwards. I was told that there are bespoke super car makers in Europe where buyers can order bespoke cars after mutual discussions (subject to acceptance) with the engineers. The buyers would have to finance the entire manufacture process of the car he ordered with no scheduled delivery time. Surprisingly, these are not the Pagani or the Ferrari of the world. These are literally names unknown to public. I was given an Italian contact for interview opportunity, I didn't take up the offer.

Having said that, I still have a customised CF Roxanne on order since last year to be delivered. More than anyone else, I do understand the frustration of waiting.

Jaw
Due to frustration/remorse, It's understandable that people would use these types of analogies to justify waiting 6 months for an earphone.

May 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,573 of 8,377
Due to frustration/remorse, It's understandable that people would use these types of analogies to justify waiting 6 months for an earphone.

There is frustration, but no remorse. I don't need to justify my order decision as I was given an opportunity to cancel, change to acrylic or get the universal and I didn't change my mind.

I wasn't trying to justify my waiting time either, I don't have to. I mentioned my experience just to point out that buyers do have to wait for customised car orders.

I fully understand why people are frustrated or angry. My posting wasn't an attempt to defend JH but merely stating the truth about bespoke cars.

May 12, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,574 of 8,377
Patience is a virtue, etc, however the longest I've ever waited for a piece of audio kit previous to the Roxannes was 2 weeks for my UE18 customs.  I've only been in the queue for 3 weeks on the custom Roxannes so far.  But tech advances quite quickly, 6 months and a hell of a lot of kit can come out in that time.  I couldn't imagine waiting for 6 months, I'd give up and buy something else, if there was no comms on how long to wait then that'd drive me mad.
How do you guys cope with such a wait?

May 12, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #5,575 of 8,377
Well even though i am still waiting for my Roxie's to come back from JH after a refit, i have still been hovering about this thread like a vulture ready to pounce on news or opinions that give me a better idea of how to best enjoy these bad boys once i get them back, in terms of amps and so forth.
the main question i have today is simply this... a few people have talked about replacing their cables with super expensive silver ones, but i just want to know what amount of difference it actually makes? coming from a physics and electronics background i get that different materials are better conductors of electricity and so forth, but the difference between copper (what i assume to be the standard cable material) and silver is only 0.4E7 Siemens per meter relative to the radius of the wire. ie silver is 62000000 S/m and copper is 58000000 S/m. what i mean to say is that at those levels there is more potential for the inductance from the wire moving due to walking/shifting in seat/swaying in bus ect.. to affect the sound coming through the wires than there is potential for the lack of permittivity between materials at that level to inhibit the sound. the twist ratio of the helix cable should have more impact on the sound of the music than the material inside the cable in real world scenarios. further the temperature of the day should have more of an impact on signal strength than the wire for conductive materials at those levels, even the way the cable lies against itself will have more inductive effects than what the possible difference in resistance will have. 
i guess what i am asking is.. am i missing something? is the frequency band that sound signals operate within more susceptible to impedance based on the conductive material? is there anyone with a science backgound that can explain why silver "sounds better" because at the moment i cant quite square the circle, i dont think our ears (or even our dogs ears) are capable of hearing the difference. I'm happy to be proven wrong, if someone has some scientific data for me? but at the moment i think i should be saving for a nice amp and ignoring the cable.

May 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #5,576 of 8,377
  Patience is a virtue, etc, however the longest I've ever waited for a piece of audio kit previous to the Roxannes was 2 weeks for my UE18 customs.  I've only been in the queue for 3 weeks on the custom Roxannes so far.  But tech advances quite quickly, 6 months and a hell of a lot of kit can come out in that time.  I couldn't imagine waiting for 6 months, I'd give up and buy something else, if there was no comms on how long to wait then that'd drive me mad.
How do you guys cope with such a wait?

I'm in the Black Friday bucket and didn't get my molds to JH until they picked up their packages after New Year's. I knew this was a pre-order, custom, hand made, and difficult material to work with. I was, and still am, totally prepared for the wait. I do agree that JH could do a better job with communication. I wouldn't be looking for much more than a bi-weekly or monthly touch base.

The only time I've thought about contacting JH was to ask them to take their time with my Roxannes to make sure they get it right instead of rushing them :wink:

//TB

May 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,577 of 8,377
Personally, cable upgrades in general haven't made much of a difference with any of the headphones that I've had. It usually gets exaggerated around here. 

May 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #5,578 of 8,377
AFAIK there is no scientific data to support the idea of audible differences between cables but if we get too into that it will provoke a sh1tstorm of opinion. Rather than derail this thread I suggest you head over to the Sound Science forum. Make sure you are wearing an asbestos (flameproof!) suit!

May 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,579 of 8,377
^ True, let's not go down that rat hole here 
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #5,580 of 8,377
IMHO, upgrading other stuffs in the chain like amp/dac/sources will bring more differences to the sound than cable so I will look into those first. Cable will be the last thing I will upgrade and most of the time, for me, is for non-sound factor like asthetic, weight and durability ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back