New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
May 11, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #5,551 of 8,377
  Balanced 2.5mm cable for Roxanne + AK240. 
etysmile.gif

Where did you find the balanced cable with 2.5mm termination? Even I am looking for one.

May 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5,552 of 8,377
  ^ it should not affect the mids and treble at least in theory as the pot is only applied to the bass signal wire which is completely separate from mids and treble. I think the dark sound people are experiencing about Roxanne is a combination of many factors. As far as I can hear, My custom Roxanne at 9 o'clock position on the bass pot and DX90 doesn't sound dark. It's quite neutral when I compare it to my JH16 which is now brighter and noticeable bump on upper bass.

Ok, that makes sense.  Probably the people that are hearing it as dark are probably coming from JH13 or 16, which may have sharp treble, or other sharp treble monsters.  It's also been said that the Roxanne is providing less details, but more impressions are coming in so, we'll see how people impressions differ. 

May 11, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #5,553 of 8,377
  Ok, that makes sense.  Probably the people that are hearing it as dark are probably coming from JH13 or 16, which may have sharp treble, or other sharp treble monsters.  It's also been said that the Roxanne is providing less details, but more impressions are coming in so, we'll see how people impressions differ. 

Yeah people have different reference point on sound signatures. Like I mentioned before my reference for dark sound signature is LCD-2 when I listen to it. My Roxanne share the same bass extension and fullness but definitely has more to offer on the upper mids and treble.

I understand that it's darker than JH16 and/or JH13. But the overall presentation is completely different and boils down to personal preference of an individual to decide which one to get.

But if you step back and look at the bigger picture, I think the Roxanne is tuned to sound as neutral and natural in terms of sound texture and tonality with the variable bass to suit different peoples wants and needs.

I spent a few months now in between Roxanne and JH16. While I enjoy JH16 on many rock music, I prefer Roxanne's overall tonality and presentation and IMO works well with multiple genre compared to JH16.

May 11, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5,554 of 8,377
My customs haven't arrived yet but I definitely didn't enjoy either the universals or AKR03.  Not sure if it was a fit or tip problem but they were really dark and the bass sounded bloated.  Hope the customs give me a different and positive SQ.

May 11, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #5,555 of 8,377
  My customs haven't arrived yet but I definitely didn't enjoy either the universals or AKR03.  Not sure if it was a fit or tip problem but they were really dark and the bass sounded bloated.  Hope the customs give me a different and positive SQ.

I have experienced this with the way tips were inserted.  This was for TG334, and it was very senstive to fit.  I had to get aftermarket tips and noticed if I insert it too much, the bass would get distorted( I guess bloat?), and the mids(specifically vocals) would be buried behind.  I know that fit will affect the sound, so customs could really enhance the sound for the better.  I do notice tight bass with customs.

May 11, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5,556 of 8,377
  I have experienced this with the way tips were inserted.  This was for TG334, and it was very senstive to fit.  I had to get aftermarket tips and noticed if I insert it too much, the bass would get distorted( I guess bloat?), and the mids(specifically mids) would be buried behind.  I know that fit will affect the sound, so customs could really enhance the sound for the better.  I do notice tight bass with customs.

I hope so :) I had ro bury the tips in my ears pretty deep to stop them falling out, the universals are really big and the wires are heavy as well.  The AKR03 do sound different from the universals, I felt they were tuned for more bass and were mid heavy.  It could be they were newer and have less burn in.  I never had the same problem with the UE18 or JH13/16 demos I tried 2 years ago but my ears have probably grown more finicky from all the decent gear these days.

May 11, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,557 of 8,377
  I hope so :) I had ro bury the tips in my ears pretty deep to stop them falling out, the universals are really big and the wires are heavy as well.  The AKR03 do sound different from the universals, I felt they were tuned for more bass and were mid heavy.  It could be they were newer and have less burn in.  I never had the same problem with the UE18 or JH13/16 demos I tried 2 years ago but my ears have probably grown more finicky from all the decent gear these days.

I see why universals were a bad idea for these.  You don't want so much weight for universals as they can easily shifted from movement.  Since these are using universal tips, slight shifting could alter the sound significantly.  With the 12 drivers, I can imagine these weighing alot and as you move, the driver weight tilting the tips downward, which isn't good.

I thought the 4 driver TG334 was bad in this regard as you notice the weight moving the tips outward over time.  

I like the Shure universal designs as the weight rests on the bottom cup of the ear, and stays put.

This is one of the benefits to customs.

May 11, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5,558 of 8,377
  I see why universals were a bad idea for these.  You don't want so much weight for universals as they can easily shifted from movement.  Since these are using universal tips, slight shifting could alter the sound significantly.  With the 12 drivers, I can imagine these weighing alot and as you move, the driver weight tilting the tips downward, which isn't good.

I thought the 4 driver TG334 was bad in this regard as you notice the weight moving the tips outward over time.  

I like the Shure universal designs as the weight rests on the bottom cup of the ear, and stays put.

This is one of the benefits to customs.

Exactly the reason I went to customs and swallow the huge cost of entry. In my experience, the best tuning could be done on universals and getting consistency is the challenge if not downright impossible.

May 11, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #5,559 of 8,377
  This is just pure speculation, but could the Roxanne sound a bit warm or with less treble(this has been reported lately) than their previous models because the pot is adding resistance in series to the monitors?  For example, resistor adaptors are used, and usually they skew the FR and don't really exactly what they do, but they have been known to cut the treble, and add bass(not sure if this was the case, somebody correct me if I'm wrong)?  Is the pot like resistor like the ER4S, but it's adjustable(which is what a potentiomemter does)? 

Speculation? The time constant is effected when three hot's sharing the same return? When the amp used cured ALL the problems using a "virtual" ground solution? I'll just tear up my two year AS in electronics..........

May 11, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #5,560 of 8,377
I apologise on behalf of my auto-correct.

I understand that they're a commercial product but it CIEMs are unlike most other commercial products by definition.

How's this for an analogy:

You can buy a car sitting in a showroom and drive it away that day. However, you can also buy a car and add your specific colour, interior options, trim etc. but with that you would have to wait for your exact specs. Even then that stuff is stock, off the shelf at the factory. It's to be expected that if they had to mould the seat to your butt, that it would take considerably longer to deliver to you. :wink_face:

Now that analogy I completely get.
You would be pretty hacked off if you ordered a car and were told that it would be ready "sometime" though!

May 11, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #5,562 of 8,377
I was told you can only get the balanced cables with the AKR03, you can't even buy them as an option yet.

True for now, but the US release from Earphone Solutions will have the balance cable as well.

May 11, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #5,563 of 8,377
My custom Roxannes haven't arrived yet but I did audition the AKR03 and I'd like to get the balanced cable for the Roxannes.  What options are available to get the standard cable as supplied with the AKR03 or a custom cable from a 3rd party?

May 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5,564 of 8,377
Re-terminate the stock cable? Buy a spare cable and do it yourself or send it out.

Or, Plussound Audio had demo of their first run at an SE aftermarket cable at the SoCal meet, I tried it and gave them some feedback. I would think they should be able to make a cable for you.
  My custom Roxannes haven't arrived yet but I did audition the AKR03 and I'd like to get the balanced cable for the Roxannes.  What options are available to get the standard cable as supplied with the AKR03 or a custom cable from a 3rd party?

May 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #5,565 of 8,377

As of now none, but I did Emailed Moon Audio and they will have it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back